One Synth Challenge #88: TAL-NoiseMaker (Mac/PC) (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-NoiseMaker

Here's mine!

https://soundcloud.com/meakaale/meakaale_mower_shreds

All sounds made from initialize preset

Track specs:

~100 Instances of TAL-NoiseMaker
DAW: FL Studio
DAW FX: Maximus, EQUO, Fruity Parametric EQ 2, Fruity Peak controller, Fruity Reverb 2, Fruity Filter, Fruity Compressor, Fruity Delay, Fruity Stereo Enhancher, Fuity Stereo Shaper

rghvdberg wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Always love your stuff Taron. It is so different. Well, you and Rob are gonna have to fight this one out between the two of you. I can't decide which one I like better so you're both getting 5s. Talk about different ends of the spectrum. Man, and if you told me that you made this with just one synth I wouldn't believe you. Just goes to show, you don't need a lot of expensive gear to make great sounding music.

So glad I am done with these. LOL.
5 points from Wags !!!! :hyper:

but, still bummed you quit :scared:
You know Rob, the more I think about it, it isn't so much that I hate finishing near the bottom each month. It really has more to do with how much I hate struggling with the limitations. I was never good at creating drum sounds which is why my sound libraries have very few of these unless they're of the quirky percussive nature. But making kicks and snares is a pain for me. I can do an okay one, but nothing like you guys do who layer 4 different tracks to make a kick. I just don't have the patience for that kind of detail. Then, toss in the free FX limitations where even for something simple like compressing something, where I'd normally go to a Fab Filter preset, I have to struggle with a minimalist interface where you really need to understand compression to come up with something that "works" the way your tried and true preset works. Again, it's too much work. And work is not fun. Music is supposed to be fun. This isn't. And consequently, it probably shows in my submissions.

You listened to my Vocaloid playlist. Or at least I know you gave me a like on my last track. THAT is fun. I can do whatever I want. Use whatever plugins, FX, VSTs, whatever. I can even use samples if I want. THAT is what I enjoy doing. And if it's a choice between spending my time doing that or spending my time doing something that is "work" for me, I'm going to choose the former over the latter.

That's why I did fairly well with the MUX OSC. I love that synth. It is incredibly versatile. It should be considering it's not free. I couldn't believe it was actually used for an OSC and the developer gave out all those free licenses, even if just for the month. Of course who knows how many sales he got in the process so it might have been a very clever thing to do. But MUX is the exception. Most synths, you're lucky to just have 3 waveforms to work with. I just can't get inspired with things that are so limited.

So maybe if a synth comes along, like MUX, that really excites me and isn't 32 bit, I'll be back. But most of the free synths just leave me cold.

Hopefully, this all makes sense to you.

Meakaale wrote:~100 Instances of TAL-NoiseMaker
Nice! :)

It´s been some time.

https://soundcloud.com/sonnydeluxe/sonnydeluxe-freedom

live 9, only allowed native audio fx

s

Meakaale wrote:Here's mine!

https://soundcloud.com/meakaale/meakaale_mower_shreds

All sounds made from initialize preset

Track specs:

~100 Instances of TAL-NoiseMaker
DAW: FL Studio
DAW FX: Maximus, EQUO, Fruity Parametric EQ 2, Fruity Peak controller, Fruity Reverb 2, Fruity Filter, Fruity Compressor, Fruity Delay, Fruity Stereo Enhancher, Fuity Stereo Shaper
And my 3rd 5. You're another one who keeps cranking out these amazing pieces.

Hey BJ, is it too late to just withdraw my entry? I'm serious because this is almost embarrassing. LOL.

Anyway, good luck with this one.

wagtunes wrote:[
Hey BJ, is it too late to just withdraw my entry? I'm serious because this is almost embarrassing. LOL.
It's your choice, but I'd keep it in. You always have a unique contribution.

bjporter wrote:
wagtunes wrote:[
It's your choice, but I'd keep it in. You always have a unique contribution.
Eh, it'll be my swan song farewell to my mediocrity. LOL.

wagtunes wrote: Eh, it'll be my swan song farewell to my mediocrity. LOL.
Hey wags, I hope you don't mind these words of mine, but I see you
quite "oscillating" in your comments.You blame your lack
of skills with drums, your supposed mediocrity,
but also blame the lack of freedom to use what you like
because prohibited by the OSC rules. And still you feel able to recognize the best entries to your taste, so if you got ears to evaluate them you could also have ears to improve your stuff
as well, but you blame the time needed: "too much not enjoyable work to do"
as you say. Seems to me that you simply don't tust your
skills for what they are, and how you can improve them, or that you don't like challenges in the end.

Anyway I would share my feeling that you are closer than me
to the average aesthetic sense of the OSC.
Not accepting the restricting rules and the time needed to build an entry
is the only thing that would keep you out.
(My english is not the best so I hope that what I said makes sense)

liqih wrote:
because prohibited by the OSC rules. And still you feel able to recognize the best entries to your taste, so if you got ears to evaluate them you could also have ears to improve your stuff
skills for what they are, and how you can improve them, or that you don't like challenges in the end.

Your English is fine and you make perfect sense. In a nutshell, yeah, that's about the size of it. I hate the rules. I don't like working within the restrictions and ultimately it's just not as fun as creating a track with vocals and 33 different synths and any FX I want including samples and what not. THAT'S fun. This isn't.

At least not for me.

wagtunes wrote:
liqih wrote:

Your English is fine and you make perfect sense. In a nutshell, yeah, that's about the size of it. I hate the rules. I don't like working within the restrictions and ultimately it's just not as fun as creating a track with vocals and 33 different synths and any FX I want including samples and what not. THAT'S fun. This isn't.

At least not for me.
Cool, but if you hated the rules why entering the OSC at first?
(I can vaguely guess an answer)
Last edited by liqih on Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I made some cheesy Kirmestechno
daw: ableton live 9
31 instances of the tal noisemaker vst

effects that I have used:
one ableton simple delay
tal noise built-in effects
eq
multiband dynamics
compressor
limiter
https://soundcloud.com/ugliestman/uglie ... 15/s-RwgSS
Last edited by ugliest man on Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here's my track for this month's challenge.

https://soundcloud.com/quaoar-1/quaoar-pulse

DAW: Ableton 9

Tracks: 21

FX used: EQ8, Compressor, Limiter, Reverb plus TAL Reverb

Enjoy!

Quaoar

Uploaded mine, it's called :

"Exit Pole Dancer".

Made In FLStudio.

I used : 14 x NOIze M4K3R.

Track FX :
1 x SonEQ
1 x Tranient
1 x Attack Knob
1 x Fruity Delay 2
2 x Fruity Limiter
2 x Fruity Parametric EQ 2
1 x ReaComp
1 x Voxengo MSED.

Automation : 2x Volume.

Master FX :
2 x MEqualizer
1 x Fruity Parametric EQ 2
1 x TLs Maximizer
1 x Fruity Limiter.

Official DR value: DR6.

Enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/petervos/yeager-exit-pole-dancer

liqih wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
liqih wrote:

At least not for me.
Because at the beginning, I didn't know I'd hate the rules. Plus, I wanted to see how well I could do against the rest of the field. Now that I have the answer to that question, having been in quite a few of these, I can stop. I'm never going to win anything (have been trying to win Diversion for months) and it's pointless to try when going up against so many talented musicians.

In other words, you need to know when to cut your losses and move on.

That's what I'm doing.

liqih wrote:
wagtunes wrote:...

At least not for me.
I would drop that conversation at this point, really. No need to put our wonderfully wacky wag on the spot, while he's already bouncing around on it. Before this subject gains even more weight than it already has, I would love to suggest what I always (in so many ways) suggest to wag: Take a deep breath, do what you love to do when you love to do it and don't concern yourself with all the measuring nonsense. You have the same fantastic generosity we all have, who offer the fruit of our passion to everyone. While you, wag, are worried about the quality of your stuff, we all take a bite from it the same way we sample every track that makes its way into the OSC and- as far as I believe- we're all grateful for every taste (even the ones we "kinda hate" :hihi: ;) ...I'm still a bit sorry about that!) ...so, yeah, relax, speak with your music, I mean, don't write big posts about how you feel, make music about it instead! :phones:

I personally completely and utterly love the challenge to squeeze something magical out of a single synth, as long as it doesn't crash my machine every 2 minutes or melts down its insides (and mine). I love this challenge for my own sake as well as the pride that goes with sharing the magic itself. It's really about 30% the "look at me"-factor :lol: ...and easy 70% the "wow, check this out for what it can do"-factor. Maybe even just 20/80, come to think of it. With enough praise it may appear reversed, but when I work on this stuff it is 100% "wow, that's so fascinating and fun"-factor.

I do my fair share of lamenting, too, when a synth disappoints me by sending me into a kind of hell, but I've learned my lesson and simply skip those then. I could add a list here, but that would be nasty, I'm afraid, haha.

Anyway, always focus on the craft, always focus on your degree of delight for the sake of your creative experience. Don't waste time on judging beyond the means of improving your track to the best of your ability. When you hear a weak spot, try to formulate the weakness and write it into google, for example! Take some common words that could describe the trouble you find and see what you'll find!
For me my mixing world changed already alone when I had learned about the existence of "limiters". :hyper:
But I have been a very confident and stubborn musician for a long, long time, not because of how secure I was about the "quality of my music"(sarcasm), but about how sincere I felt about it. That might sound weird...hmmm... anyway, like I knew "This has been my music, it is what I wanted, I used the best of my understanding to craft it for the sake of the music itself,- treating it with a sense of responsibility for my creation,- and invested the most honest focus I could offer". Every time I do that, what ever feedback I get will allow me to build upon my sincere level of skills, I will learn to express myself a bit more clearly in a way.

Talking about big posts...hmmm... enough, I guess. Anyway...
- Always do what you want, wag, and know that we're happy to have you!
- Don't ever be ashamed! Only cheating would be shameful and the only kind of failure there is!
- Express yourself through your music and don't release it until you personally feel like it says what you wanted to tell! Then just let it speak for you!
- Rock On! 8-)

Thanks, by the way! :oops:

Return to “Instruments”