three years and I still don't know what genre to produce, how the heck do you guys choose?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, one genre needs to be dominant if you want to fit in it, than just be influenced by other stuff you love, at least that way you will be somehow original and fresh, it's all about the taste really, some folks really know what to borrow/get influenced by and what to preserve, how much of it is enough and could pass.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

HREQ wrote:Overall I feel this forum is a bit toxic lol seems like a lot of people here just to make some trolly funny posts which Is fine I laughed at some, but it could hurt some other people who are more sensitive.
Yeah, it's like You Tube sometimes. :lol:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

HREQ wrote:It seems underground artists who don't make money still stick to just one of them.
Perhaps you should consider that they do this because they don't have such a diversity of influences as you do. I don't see any reason why you would not indulge all facets of your musical character, especially if there was no money to be had

HREQ wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:Contrary to popular belief, not everyone in the world needs to be a producer.
Too true. Did anyone else actually listen to the OP's productions? :? :scared: :help:
See, I had just started that year, that was my first year. I didn't try to copy any genres I was trying to do everything original myself. I've been focusing on genres since then and learning a lot more the past 3 years and I love the stuff I produce now.
Can we hear it?

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
HREQ wrote:It seems underground artists who don't make money still stick to just one of them.
Perhaps you should consider that they do this because they don't have such a diversity of influences as you do. I don't see any reason why you would not indulge all facets of your musical character, especially if there was no money to be had
^ Strongly agree.

I mostly only listened to hard rock when I was younger. I play guitar (a bit) so everthing I listened to had to feature a guitar hero or two.

These days I'm interested in the whole production. I'm skimming through a book on drumming to help me with my virtual drumming. I listen to musical drummers who approach songs in the same way that guitar players do. How they build tension and release. Etc.

I'm listening to the artists that inspired my musical heroes and really enjoying it. There is such a wealth of inspiration out there.

When I was learning guitar I picked up on the bits I liked from say BB King or anyone in Thin Lizzy, Michael Schenker etc. These things that appealed to me are a stew that form themselves into a style. My style = My taste.

My taste in production 'tricks' = my style.

Right now I have a taste for old Jazz and Blues and Soul and Prog' Rock and Cheese and Opera and Classical. Again, I'm picking up on what I like. I'm listening to music played and produced at a very high level.

I decided a while ago that if my music ever takes off, I want to enjoy the process. I want to be making music that I like. I'm not interested in picking one category and excluding everything else, just because it's the sensible thing to do.

Actually, what I really liked about Philip Lynott and Thin Lizzy was that when he fronted the Band, there were elements of Funk and Soul and Blues and Rock and Boogie and Metal and Folk and Prog' etc...

Anyway ... rambling probably ... L8R ...
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Make your own genre. Make what's inside you :)
I'm such a robot when it comes to work.

I don't know why this is even a topic. :shrug: If you don't know which genre you want to produce, then you have no inspiration in the first place, or no idea which genrer you like. Why even bother to make music then?

chk071 wrote:I don't know why this is even a topic. :shrug: If you don't know which genre you want to produce, then you have no inspiration in the first place, or no idea which genrer you like. Why even bother to make music then?
Wow, so it continues...

I still don't know what genre to produce. Not to say I don't know what songs to make next, more that I don't know what genre I identify with in my music. Am I out of inspiration? No. Why do you think I have 79 Live sets? Granted, not many of them have been completed, but quite honestly I'm shocked that, as another producer, you can tell someone something so degrading as "you have no inspiration" and "why bother to make music?".
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

zenophilix wrote:
chk071 wrote:I don't know why this is even a topic. :shrug: If you don't know which genre you want to produce, then you have no inspiration in the first place, or no idea which genrer you like. Why even bother to make music then?
Wow, so it continues...

I still don't know what genre to produce. Not to say I don't know what songs to make next, more that I don't know what genre I identify with in my music. Am I out of inspiration? No. Why do you think I have 79 Live sets? Granted, not many of them have been completed, but quite honestly I'm shocked that, as another producer, you can tell someone something so degrading as "you have no inspiration" and "why bother to make music?".
You didn't listen to the tracks the OP posted did you? He said they were 'old' and his new stuff is better, but he hasn't posted any of it (yet).

thecontrolcentre wrote:
zenophilix wrote:
Wow, so it continues...

You didn't listen to the tracks the OP posted did you? He said they were 'old' and his new stuff is better, but he hasn't posted any of it (yet).
I know what he said. How is that relevant?

zenophilix wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
zenophilix wrote:
Wow, so it continues...

Did you listen to them?

thecontrolcentre wrote:
zenophilix wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
zenophilix wrote:
Wow, so it continues...

Did you listen to them?
Yeah, why?

zenophilix wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
zenophilix wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
zenophilix wrote:
Wow, so it continues...

Did you listen to them?
Yeah, why?
Did you like them? I thought they were dreadful, and was keen to hear if the OP has improved over the intervening 3 years. He's asking for advice, so it might help to hear his music.

zenophilix wrote:
Wow, so it continues...

Why do you even feel adressed, and take it so personal? I stick with my opinion though. If you don't know what genre you want to produce, then there's gotta be something odd. The whole reason why i got into music making was because i wanted to produce a certain kind of music. If you have no idea what kind of musical genre you want to produce then you either - don't know what you like. Or you aim for something other people may like, what's hip, or something else. In any case, it wouldn't come from the heart. And that's bad.

Btw, why DO you have 79 Live sets?

thecontrolcentre wrote:Did you like them? I thought they were dreadful, and was keen to hear if the OP has improved over the intervening 3 years. He's asking for advice, so it might help to hear his music.
They show promise. I don't think they were that bad.
chk071 wrote:Why do you even feel adressed, and take it so personal? I stick with my opinion though. If you don't know what genre you want to produce, then there's gotta be something odd. The whole reason why i got into music making was because i wanted to produce a certain kind of music. If you have no idea what kind of musical genre you want to produce then you either - don't know what you like. Or you aim for something other people may like, what's hip, or something else. In any case, it wouldn't come from the heart. And that's bad.

Btw, why DO you have 79 Live sets?
I never indicated I did, I'm speaking from a place of knowing exactly how it feels to not know what you're doing, not knowing what genre you are, wondering if you'll ever even be any good, especially when first starting out. I didn't know what genres I wanted to focus on, I just knew that I loved making music, and that's what kept me going. Hell, I still don't have a good focus on genres, I'm just following my passion. The fact that you're being so critical about where somebody's musical inspiration should come from is just ridiculous, and distilling it down into what's good and what's bad is just appalling.

I have 79 Live sets because I don't limit myself. I get an idea, I lay it down, who the f*** cares what genre it is? Music is music, and the idea that you should limit yourself to one genre to be more commercially appealing is the point where it's not coming from the heart.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”