SoloRack modular synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote:
risome wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
deastman wrote:My immediate reaction to your a la carte pricing is "good luck". But just for the sake of curiosity, what kind of ballpark pricing were you considering per module?
Just off the top of my head, say he priced each module at $10 a piece.

OSC
VCF
VCA
ADSR

Just for those 4 basic modules you're looking at $40. At $20 a piece, that's $80.

I can see this thing costing a small fortune just for a very basic setup.

Not quite as excited about this as I was initially.
Not that the dev has stated these will be the prices but I'm sure they will be way cheaper than hardware.
My Eurorack hardware has cost me well over 3000 quid so far .
cheers
Softube Modular made me go and order a Mother 32. Don't think I won't do it again! Don't push me! :x

:lol:
Now you just need an 0-Coast to go with that! Come on, join us... :hihi:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

at least you should offer a VCO / VCA / ADSR / LFO and VCF.....the basic... ?

deastman wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
risome wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
deastman wrote:My immediate reaction to your a la carte pricing is "good luck". But just for the sake of curiosity, what kind of ballpark pricing were you considering per module?

OSC
VCF
VCA
ADSR

Just for those 4 basic modules you're looking at $40. At $20 a piece, that's $80.

Not that the dev has stated these will be the prices but I'm sure they will be way cheaper than hardware.
cheers
Softube Modular made me go and order a Mother 32. Don't think I won't do it again! Don't push me! :x

In due time, my friend. In due time. :oops:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

in your video, the fl cpu is really low, 5% for 2 osc, 1 filter interconnect at audiorate, compare to other, whoa! great programing, i m very curious about your new modular, now let s wait

Awesome! Too bad (or not so much :hihi:) that I just bought softube modular :?
Hope to test this one soon and hope that modules will come at a fair price! (read in the 10$ dollar range :D)
best

sounds nice...

pity the conversation, is going the same way as softube thread... if you want hardware, just go buy it, theres a hardware section to discuss it, and the hardware/software debate is not new, we understand the merits etc, do you have to justify your reasoning on every synth announcement?

pricing, seems cool, from a development standpoint, if it takes N days to develop a module, seems reasonable to price with that in mind, its the only way to allow for sustained development... and let a developer eat :) what Id worry, is will you actually sell enough of any particular module to make it worthwhile, at $10 thats quite a lot of sales needed to cover costs.

I think softube's starter pack made sense, gives users an starting point, like buying a Doepher starter rack, a virtual modular is arguable of little use without mixers, midi, clocks etc, but from there, I like the idea of building up slowly with modules, that I like the look/sound of... and agree with Solo argument, often bundled stuff is under utilised, if we pick and choose, perhaps the conscious decision making will be reflected in use.

love the idea of the modules being available in 'player' mode, I'm not a preset user, but I can see it helping with sound designers.
(hmm, as long as this doesn't mean you end up with a user base who just use presets, and don't buy modules.. which wont help your development funding)

I will say the softube model, is still very early days, it may be they will move to selling 'packs' and/or discounting after a period of time, also we have yet to see if they can keep a development pace which keeps it feeling fresh/exciting. If new modules come out say once a quarter, it will feel fresh, but if its only once every 6-12 months, I wonder if people will lose interest and it will lose momentum... as i say, early days.

anyway, great effort, look forward to seeing/hearing more

thetechnobear wrote: pricing, seems cool, from a development standpoint, if it takes N days to develop a module, seems reasonable to price with that in mind, its the only way to allow for sustained development... and let a developer eat :) what Id worry, is will you actually sell enough of any particular module to make it worthwhile, at $10 thats quite a lot of sales needed to cover costs.
Yeah that's one perspective. Another one is that a lower price tag increases a lot the buying user base (Reader's business model seems to be a good working one).
But I'm not a business guy. Surely I don't buy software wich is overpriced (a relative concept I know, but I think you get my point guys)

lalo wrote:
thetechnobear wrote: pricing, seems cool, from a development standpoint, if it takes N days to develop a module, seems reasonable to price with that in mind, its the only way to allow for sustained development... and let a developer eat :) what Id worry, is will you actually sell enough of any particular module to make it worthwhile, at $10 thats quite a lot of sales needed to cover costs.
Yeah that's one perspective. Another one is that a lower price tag increases a lot the buying user base (Reader's business model seems to be a good working one).
But I'm not a business guy. Surely I don't buy software wich is overpriced (a relative concept I know, but I think you get my point guys)
yeah thats what i meant, when saying the softube model , which is like in-app purchases, is still relatively new to soft synths. (It was pretty successful for iOS, not sure what the latest stats are)

I guess, my view, is Id like to see these modulars have sustained development, e.g. I view the modular engine like a DAW, and the modules like VSTs (on a smaller scale), so sure the engine can be improved over time, but also new modules released and the developer have a revenue stream.
in the end, its no good having the developer get paid everything up front, and have no interest in creating more to sell. (people whinge about upgrade costs too)

my personal 'issue' though is, these investments are 'locked' into one modular, unlike VSTs ... so its more like Reason. that is potentially a big issue for smaller developers.

an 'open source' modular framework, which commercial modules could be plugged into (with relevant 'protection') would alleviate this. also now we are seeing more and more of these virtual modulars, it would be awesome to see be able to mix and match. I don't really want to have to buy the same modules over and over again.
I hope if virtual modulars are here to stay, that at some point an open standards/api will happen, in a similar way to VSTs.

anyway, all speculation , back to Solo's new synth... looking forward to a demo :)

Definitely keeping my ears and eyes and mind open for this one. Pricing is going to determine a lot I think, but the demo shows a ton of potential.

foosnark wrote:Definitely keeping my ears and eyes and mind open for this one. Pricing is going to determine a lot I think, but the demo shows a ton of potential.
Agreed. The module-wise pricing scheme would probably be a negative for me (it was one of the reasons I passed on Softube Modular).

The dev might look at the Pulsar900 modular sales model, which I believe is one price for all modules, or similar.
A well-behaved signature.

zerocrossing wrote:
deastman wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
risome wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

OSC
VCF
VCA
ADSR

cheers

In due time, my friend. In due time. :oops:
My O coast is coming early in July :-)
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

JerGoertz wrote:
foosnark wrote:The module-wise pricing scheme would probably be a negative for me (it was one of the reasons I passed on Softube Modular).

The dev might look at the Pulsar900 modular sales model, which I believe is one price for all modules, or similar.
Yeah I'd *definitely* prefer an upfront cost than a bespoke one: Dropped several hundred quid on Amplitube and yet I still feel I've bought some limited demo-version what with machines greyed out, presets coming up with the notification of needing to buy other products. That plugin has definitely left a sour taste in my mouth with this kind of pricing scheme.

Sounds verry thin to me .

Looking forward to ( window version of ) pulsar modular ( not to be confused with cremware/pulsar)
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Really undecided yet. I'll have to do the math. Sorry to disappoint you.
thetechnobear wrote:sounds nice...

pity the conversation, is going the same way as softube thread... if you want hardware, just go buy it, theres a hardware section to discuss it, and the hardware/software debate is not new, we understand the merits etc, do you have to justify your reasoning on every synth announcement?

pricing, seems cool, from a development standpoint, if it takes N days to develop a module, seems reasonable to price with that in mind, its the only way to allow for sustained development... and let a developer eat :) what Id worry, is will you actually sell enough of any particular module to make it worthwhile, at $10 thats quite a lot of sales needed to cover costs.

I think softube's starter pack made sense, gives users an starting point, like buying a Doepher starter rack, a virtual modular is arguable of little use without mixers, midi, clocks etc, but from there, I like the idea of building up slowly with modules, that I like the look/sound of... and agree with Solo argument, often bundled stuff is under utilised, if we pick and choose, perhaps the conscious decision making will be reflected in use.
Thanks, I've been on Muffwiggler's for quite a while. Believe it or not, I haven't seen many go the for a strict Doepfer starter system as much as I've seen them mix and mach from Doepfer and different manufacturers. I came from that impression, so may be I'm wrong when it comes to software. The thing is that there are literally hundreds of modules ideas out there that I would love to implement, that just organizing and putting them as bundled products would take a whole effort on it's own. It would also affect the perceived value, you know... when you have allot for a too good price.
lalo wrote:Awesome! Too bad (or not so much :hihi:) that I just bought softube modular :?
Hope to test this one soon and hope that modules will come at a fair price! (read in the 10$ dollar range :D)
best
Softube is doing a very good job, I like most of what I heard. Sure with a signal analyzer, I can pinpoint my finger on a few things, but it's still worth it. But what I'm doing is different cause I'm not emulating hardware for now (Although it's possible in the engine). So if you want emulation, softube is a very good choice IMHO.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

I definitely think you need to offer a starter set of modules like what Softube did, rather than just an empty track. I started way in 1996 with a Doepfer Basic System 2, because I wanted a full system to without initially having to buy individual modules. Any new synth should be capable of making noises right out of the box.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Instruments”