Beatstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thoughts on it?
Toontrack still sells it, but it doesn't seem like they update it, unless I missed it.
Are there plans to enhance/improve it?

It's garbage. It has only had one update since it's release and I think that was just a OS compatibility fix. No additional packs of sounds were ever released.

I am a big fan of Toontrack's products and find EZdrummer2 and Superior to be exceptional tools. I purchased Beatstation back when it was released, mainly as an easy solution to layer and edit/retune EZX kit pieces. Never really gelled with the workflow of it though, as making edits requires multiple clicks and everything happens in little pop-up windows that can't be dragged beyond the confines of the UI and don't "follow" your drum selection (thus you have to close one edit window in order to open another). In terms of workflow, instruments like SparkLE, Battery, and heck, even Waldorf Attack do it much more elegantly. And right now, it's hard to beat EZdrummer itself (the only thing that's "missing" in EZdrummer is envelope control).

However, the biggest disappointment I had with Beatstation was the fact that most of the supplied drum sounds are *EXACTLY* the same as the Electronic EZX kit, which you can get on special for $39 every so often. I actually contacted Toontrack about this, and they insisted that the drums were recorded differently for each product, but I am convinced they are instead the very same samples. Same size, same name, same processing.

It's a very limited product, despite its promise, and I don't think Toontrack will ever revisit it. The EZ range of instruments covers pretty much everything Beatstation can do, unless you are hell-bent on working with REX files, which Beatstation does support.

Thanks much for detailed feedback about it.
I might be able to pick it up cheap; a few things that caught my attention were the simple sample recorder, layering, and the ability to extract single hits out of rex files and drag to pad.

It's in the bin here with Drumtracker. I'm sure if it was the only software you had, you could make great music with it but as above, I just never took to it.

EDIT: Please see my next post ...
Last edited by Aloysius on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Thanks for letting me know.

Musical Gym wrote:Thanks for letting me know.
I was reading my Drumtracker info instead of the Beatstation info, while working on some music etc. :) Sorry. Here's what it really says:

Beatstation 1.0.4 update for Windows XP or newer 2014-02-18 62.92 MB
Beatstation Content Update (Windows) 2014-02-18 37.22 MB
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Thanks, that's good that it was updated a year ago. Maybe someone who likes it will provide some feedback on how they're using it.

Honestly, I can't think of a release by a major company that received a more "meh" reception than Beatstation. Even Toontrack seems to hardly mention it.

I'd take that as a sign.

I hear ya; that's why I'm holding off for now..

Beat Magazine is giving away Beatstation for free with issue 128, nice of 'em

Its total trash, and the overhyped library is absolutely terrible, i threw it in an actual real life bin, I wouldn't even sell that on to an enemy ;)
Duh

bungle wrote:I wouldn't even sell that on to an enemy ;)
Give it away then :D

bungle wrote:Its total trash, and the overhyped library is absolutely terrible, i threw it in an actual real life bin, I wouldn't even sell that on to an enemy ;)
From my own experience i can tell you that Beat magazine seem to hate their own subscribers. :D
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I find their magware the best at the mo, over the last 6 months they have served up

BeatZille
Bitwig 8 track
BeatStation

Buying Beatstation at full price I can understand that users can be pissed off seeing how little Toontrack have done to update it of late. But as a magware freebie, it should make anybody happy.

murnau wrote:From my own experience i can tell you that Beat magazine seem to hate their own subscribers. :D
I totally agree with this:
murnau wrote:An option where OP should lock out certain members from the thread would be great. Spare us some stupid wannabe comments which have nothing to do with the current discussion here.
What on Earth has BeatStation got to do with your beef with Beat Mag :help:

Return to “Instruments”