Waves older plugs...time for a new GUI???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GrabtharsHammer wrote:Waves really needs to hire some good designers.
What do you mean? Waves has pretty much the best GUI's all around in the industry.
No signature here!

At least they don't have the T-Racks dinosaur.

I keep Waves Reel ADT in my "nice UIs" JPEG folder.

Checkout our VST3/VST2/AU/AAX/LV2:
Inner Pitch | Lens | Couture | Panagement | Graillon

MogwaiBoy wrote:My #1 peeve with Waves plugins is how the knobs are really poorly animated when they turn. They judder and it just creates a disconnect between your mouse movements and the plugin -feeling less responsive.

Then you open MJUC and turn the knobs and go.... whoah, super smooth - that's how it should be. You can do incremental adjustments and feel like you have better control over the full range of the dial.
I have that problem with the new Waves-AbbeyRoadPlates. Knobs are jumping in a weird way when used with mouse. (Also the response to turning the mouse-wheel is "nerve-wracking".. a bit :scared: )
- WonderEcho -

Well. by golly, I would sure as heck like to see some larger, perhaps even vector type resizable GUI's in some upcoming update. But honestly, I would be delighted with just some bigger interfaces & nice clear fonts.

The Hybrid & V series stuff is quite nice, I'll say. But it looks like old Waves has a bit of catch'n up to do, huh?

I would like them to stay current. :hihi:

I dont use the older Waves plugins even though I have them because of the poor GUI's. Plugins are tools to me, that I manipulate with my hands and create a feedback with my brain and ears. they need to work with me, not against me and poorly designed GUIs (both in usability and ergonomics) simple don't resonate with me. and there are lots of other choices.

Waves pretty much set the standard for guis a long time ago. They are still the best imo.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

plexuss wrote:I dont use the older Waves plugins even though I have them because of the poor GUI's. Plugins are tools to me, that I manipulate with my hands and create a feedback with my brain and ears. they need to work with me, not against me and poorly designed GUIs (both in usability and ergonomics) simple don't resonate with me. and there are lots of other choices.
Well said! Yeah, agree pretty thoroughly with ya plexuss, kinda where I was going with starting the thread! I am doing my best to use them, but Waves is behind the times here, and as you stated, there are many other very viable options nowadays...they were ahead in 1998, but it is 2016 now.

Thanks for the input.

Klinke1 wrote:
MogwaiBoy wrote:My #1 peeve with Waves plugins is how the knobs are really poorly animated when they turn. They judder and it just creates a disconnect between your mouse movements and the plugin -feeling less responsive.

Then you open MJUC and turn the knobs and go.... whoah, super smooth - that's how it should be. You can do incremental adjustments and feel like you have better control over the full range of the dial.
I have that problem with the new Waves-AbbeyRoadPlates. Knobs are jumping in a weird way when used with mouse. (Also the response to turning the mouse-wheel is "nerve-wracking".. a bit :scared: )
This could be the graphics issue btw. I had similar story some time ago, I e-mailed their tech support, and the issue was I needed the graphics driver updated. Now all Waves GUIs are running smoothly for me.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Agreed, Waves GUIs work smooth for me, so it must be a graphics issue. Some of their more recent interfaces are a bit of a pain, as I have judders in playback having REDD or Kramer Tape open if I'm running a huge session, though clicking the taps in KT to stop the animation works wonders. I use Q10 all the time (well, Q4 usually), and I feel it looks like what it is, the most barebones simple EQ ever, which can be just what you need. I agree that supertap, enigma, true pitch and some of the other 'creative' effects could use a reskin as they look pretty blase. But I'm pretty 'meh' about those tools anyways, these days... :D
Chris H.

lunarchris1 wrote: <...>
Some of their more recent interfaces are a bit of a pain, as I have judders in playback having REDD or Kramer Tape open if I'm running a huge session, though clicking the taps in KT to stop the animation works wonders.
<...>
These seem to be more demanding on the graphics, hence are possible problems. For me, issues gone when I updated the driver.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Andy Gone wrote:This could be the graphics issue btw. I had similar story some time ago, I e-mailed their tech support, and the issue was I needed the graphics driver updated. Now all Waves GUIs are running smoothly for me.
I have an ATI card. Drivers are up to date but the card is several years old.
1 time there were GUI problems in Bidule and it was because of ATI-drivers. (could be fixed with changing a Bidule setting.. problem was gone in newer Bidule-versions)

BTW.. i recently put the 2 graphic-chip-fans on a fixed speed(lowest possible) in the driver-setup.. and now it is totally quiet all the time. The temperature is always good. (e.g a HD-movie doesn't overheat anything) :hail:
- WonderEcho -

lunarchris1 wrote:Agreed, Waves GUIs work smooth for me, so it must be a graphics issue. Some of their more recent interfaces are a bit of a pain, as I have judders in playback having REDD or Kramer Tape open if I'm running a huge session, though clicking the taps in KT to stop the animation works wonders. I use Q10 all the time (well, Q4 usually), and I feel it looks like what it is, the most barebones simple EQ ever, which can be just what you need. I agree that supertap, enigma, true pitch and some of the other 'creative' effects could use a reskin as they look pretty blase. But I'm pretty 'meh' about those tools anyways, these days... :D
Interesting. we may uncovering a different sense of what the problem is. me and the OP are talking about the design and how the interface works as a tool. But some others are talking about technical issues related to screen problems that would of course make the plugins hard to use. I don't have any technical issues with the GUIs. From a design perspective I much prefer the current designs Waves is employing (eg. ADT [above], Saphira, Puig-tech, I hated the look for Butch Vig Vocals when it came out but bought it on deep discount sale for a lark, and I am starting to enjoy the interface - sometimes it takes time to get the intent of the designer). So yes, technical issues with the GUI would definitely be an issue. The older design as in the R and L series are, for me, not up to scratch these days. a redesign would be great and I bet without changing the code they would get a lot more new users. I'd use them more.

Yeah, modernization is what I am thinking here...their latest stuff seems pretty good, and they have got to be aware of trends in the rest of the industry, dont'cha guys think? :hihi:

My whole basic point here is that this is a good company man...in the 90's they totally helped to build this plug-in industry which has morphed and changed, and we are all enjoying today, and I am frankly pretty grateful. Look how affordable world class audio stuff is now!

I mentioned the Gold bundle, because I think these effects have stood the test of time and are quite relevant, well made and stable! But I'll say it one more time...small GUI's and thin weak fonts just don't do it for Grizzellda!!! :)

Klinke1 wrote:
Andy Gone wrote:This could be the graphics issue btw. I had similar story some time ago, I e-mailed their tech support, and the issue was I needed the graphics driver updated. Now all Waves GUIs are running smoothly for me.
I have an ATI card. Drivers are up to date but the card is several years old.
1 time there were GUI problems in Bidule and it was because of ATI-drivers. (could be fixed with changing a Bidule setting.. problem was gone in newer Bidule-versions)

BTW.. i recently put the 2 graphic-chip-fans on a fixed speed(lowest possible) in the driver-setup.. and now it is totally quiet all the time. The temperature is always good. (e.g a HD-movie doesn't overheat anything) :hail:
I don't think it's my graphics kit. I have a beefy GeForce with drivers updated.

I'm not saying there are anomalies, flickering or errors in the GUI.. I'm just saying the knobs feel less responsive due to lower animation counts. For example a typical Waves knob the actual knob graphic might move in every 0.3 or 0.4 increment. Which means that between, say, 1.0 and 2.0 the knob graphic only moves a few times.

Yet other plugin developers (I mentioned the MJUC before as a perfect example).. the knob has a new animated "frame" for every single 0.1 or 0.2 increment... which means the knob *feels* very smooth and responsive to fine adjustments.

It's a minor issue, but kind of fundamental at the same time.

Return to “Effects”