Tracktion released BioTek Synthesizer Plugin (Sound Designer Edition now available)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BioTek 2

chk071 wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Very cool. Wasn't expecting them to get this updated so quickly. This is a very nice update indeed. Generous of them to not increase the price and release the update for free.
How often do users have to pay for a v1.1 update?
I think what Funkybot rather meant is that they give away the update which opens the engine fully for free is generous.
Exactly. This update is huge in terms of scope and feature set. The synth looks 20 times bigger than it was just a few days ago. They could have called it 2.0, or sold it as an entirely different synth, or just charged for the update. Instead, they're doing the right thing and giving this away at no extra cost for existing users, and even discounting it again for new users. That falls under my definition of generous.

So I spent a few minutes today with the BioTek public beta and I was very happy with this update. You can layer sounds using a combination of FM and built in samples, and the number of tweaks you can make to a sound are insane (in a good way). I already made two really cool pad sounds that I'm happy with.

If you hated BioTek before, I think you'll owe it to yourself to check it out now.

I can't understand, for the life of me, why they didn't open up the editing part from the beginning, I would have thought it was obvious that users want to be able to control a synth as much as possible. I will have another look at this now they've released this update.

basslinemaster wrote:I can't understand, for the life of me, why they didn't open up the editing part from the beginning, I would have thought it was obvious that users want to be able to control a synth as much as possible. I will have another look at this now they've released this update.
Pure speculation on my part, but the only thing I can think of is that they didn't want to release something too complex and ended up going too far in the other direction. I made some cool presets last night, but the depth of this synth does mean that the ease of use drops a bit now. That said, I'm no synth programming expert and was able to find my way around pretty well.

How does one access the public beta update? I don't see any mention of it on Tracktion's website or in my account.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Exactly. This update is huge in terms of scope and feature set. The synth looks 20 times bigger than it was just a few days ago. They could have called it 2.0
Going from v1.0 to v2.0 in half a year, that would mean upgrading even more often than Tracktion DAW :o
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:or sold it as an entirely different synth.
With the same GUI as v1.0 ?

If you really really want to pay Tracktion for the update, why don't you just make a donation to them.

Numanoid wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Exactly. This update is huge in terms of scope and feature set. The synth looks 20 times bigger than it was just a few days ago. They could have called it 2.0
Going from v1.0 to v2.0 in half a year, that would mean upgrading even more often than Tracktion DAW :o
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:or sold it as an entirely different synth.
With the same GUI as v1.0 ?

If you really really want to pay Tracktion for the update, why don't you just make a donation to them.
You can't just be happy about it and say, "hey, thanks for fixing that problem?" They weren't obligated to do anything.

Got today the information that all synth parameters will be open soon in a coming update :)
Finally :)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

MillerSam wrote:Got today the information that all synth parameters will be open soon in a coming update :)
Finally :)
Yeah. If you download the beta in your downloads section you can already use the newly open features.

I still can't believe they thought it was a good idea to release it as it was. Although I'll admit the 'edit' UI and UX is not the most polished and certainly not on par with the 'play' UI by a long shot.

Anyway, it's a solid synth now with some very cool design features that make it fun to play around with.

Greetings,

I've been interested in BioTek for a while, checked out an early demo but didn't put any real time into it. Downloaded the 1.0.6 demo tonight and spent the evening exploring some of the presets, playing with their controls, and finally starting to understand some basic design aspects of the instrument. It's very cool, I'd like to purchase it, but I have a problem with the audio quality.

I'm running it in Bitwig 1.3.11 on Fedora 21 x86_64 with an rt kernel. The sound hardware is old but good quality (M-Audio Delta 66). CPU is an AMD FX6300 6-core, I have BioTek set for multicore operation, but the playback suffers from a lot of audio discontinuity, even when holding only a single note, and it's true for most of the presets I tested. Am I missing a setting somewhere that can improve the situation ? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Best,

dp

I just check out the Beta Version and I must say "Yes", it's a synth changer for the actual version.
You can all the parameters, import samples (no multisamples) , change FM algorithms (6 total), different filters, deep LFO manipulations, ... :)
Synth Anatomy

The long desired Update is now available !
A deeper look with all GUI pages is available here

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2016/08/tra ... ition.html
Synth Anatomy

I quite like it now. Workflow is a bit bumpy but the sounds are interesting.

If they added granular synthesis to the sample module it would be a bit of a Absynth replacement.

Read the news yesterday in rekkerd.org but today there is still no update in my account, only 1.16 beta in the archive ?

Synth Anatomy

Return to “Instruments”