Thoughts on Korg Gadget and Korg Module ? ... they're on sale, 50% discount

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gadget

Subject says it all ... even at half price, they're quite pricey for an app ... what do current owners think of these ios apps ?

They are not bad but after some years with iOS music creation i'm a bit tired of mediocre FX in iOS.
Also that iOS apps are always cheap is an illusion...count all in app purchases f.e. in Gadget or other apps like Animoog, Model 15, Auria Pro etc.
and you know what i mean. And plug-ins mostly can do so much more.
In general most iOS music forums are very euphoric and all apps seems amazing, stunning etc. but i can't agree here anymore. There are a lot promoters in iOS land but not much reviewers :D
Once i was the biggest iOS music production friend but i don't see really an evolution there anymore.
IOS itself is bad too. It worked better years ago for me.
That is my personal meaning which sounds negativ but it is like it is.
Korg Gadget is a nice app but i would more like a more expensive app with everything included, better FX, bigger synths, more DAW features etc.
I wait for BeatMaker 3 and NanoStudio 2.......
But i also don't imagine that they even come close to a desktop DAW.
I think iOS as it is and it's devices is more for standalone synths, FX processors or little DAW's (like NanoStudio).

Don't know about Module but I think Gadget's worth it even at full price.

I use Auria and own a ton of synths / effects, and no matter what method of recording / sequencing you use on the iPad, it's never ideal. (I do agree somewhat with Cinebient - iOS for music production has been over-hyped - tough to put everything together and if you've got GAS it's not as cheap as it looks). Every solution - IAA, Audiobus, AU - has it's drawbacks.

When I want to have fun and just make some damn music, I end up going back to Gadget. The built-ins sound great and are more flexible than they look, and if you add in one or two of the in-app purchases you'll have a pretty complete setup. For example, you can do a lot with Darwin even if you're not looking for 90s M1 sounds.

The piano roll and sequencing is still a little wonky IMHO though it's been improved, and the mixer could stand an upgrade, though the addition of eq/compression has been greatly appreciated. Korg's supporting it with new development and additional "gadgets", so it's got a good future.

I'd say it's a no-brainer at $20 - too much value to pass up. It might not replace using Auria or Cubasis with a library of great apps, but it's a lot easier to live with sometimes.

*************************************************************************************************
OT, but I gotta semi-hijack the thread and point out these two seriously under-appreicated apps for iOS:
http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-11/
http://www.zmors.de/zmors-modular/

JoeCat wrote:Don't know about Module but I think Gadget's worth it even at full price.

I use Auria and own a ton of synths / effects, and no matter what method of recording / sequencing you use on the iPad, it's never ideal. (I do agree somewhat with Cinebient - iOS for music production has been over-hyped - tough to put everything together and if you've got GAS it's not as cheap as it looks). Every solution - IAA, Audiobus, AU - has it's drawbacks.

When I want to have fun and just make some damn music, I end up going back to Gadget. The built-ins sound great and are more flexible than they look, and if you add in one or two of the in-app purchases you'll have a pretty complete setup. For example, you can do a lot with Darwin even if you're not looking for 90s M1 sounds.

The piano roll and sequencing is still a little wonky IMHO though it's been improved, and the mixer could stand an upgrade, though the addition of eq/compression has been greatly appreciated. Korg's supporting it with new development and additional "gadgets", so it's got a good future.

I'd say it's a no-brainer at $20 - too much value to pass up. It might not replace using Auria or Cubasis with a library of great apps, but it's a lot easier to live with sometimes.

*************************************************************************************************
OT, but I gotta semi-hijack the thread and point out these two seriously under-appreicated apps for iOS:
http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-11/
http://www.zmors.de/zmors-modular/
I agree....
....and maybe it was bad karma because i talked bad about iOS but today i broke my last iOS device :x
Next time i shut up :?
One of the biggest problem with this is that i can´t resell any of my hundread of music apps while it´s mostly not such a problem with a plug-in licences.
Together they are a grand or so plus a grand for the device....ouch! So yes, GAS can be a problem on iOS after some time if you collect thousand apps :D
Sadly no developer of those apps seems to be interested in windows. it could need some "real" multi touch optimized apps (including the UI, full screen and stuff...).

I bought Gadget last night. I wanted the walled garden approach for a change so I would have to "git gud" with what was available instead of endlessly turning to new apps for sounds or effects.

From a quick play it looks fun. I'm right at home with the pattern-based sequencing approach. There are limited free versions of Gadget and Module too, if you want to try them out first. Apparently connecting a Korg keyboard (I have a MicroKey 25) will unlock extra features but I don't know what as I skipped Gadget Le and went straight to the full one. Might give Module Le a shot later out of curiosity.
Image Image Image Image

Bought Gadget yesterday too, and am totally ecstatic about it.

What i like most about it are the creative workflow and the great sounding synths (gadgets).

I see it more as a "sketchboard" to develop creative ideas, and then later exporting them to Ableton, though i haven´t yet tried that out yet.
I wouldn´t put it in the same league as a full fledged DAW, and don´t think that´s the intention behind it.

It´s a very inviting way to create music, due to a vast array of totally different sounding synths.

For 19.99 € it is a must buy!

gadget is very good. actually it would be even better if available as a desktop app.

bronxsound wrote:gadget is very good. actually it would be even better if available as a desktop app.
How would it be any better? The Design is meant and works for the Touchscreen. The App inspires creativity because of its simplicity and the touchscreen. It would suck bad with a mouse and keyboard.

On Desktop you have Ableton and Bitwig, with every Synth you can ever dream of.

The fact that you would even want this app on a desktop shows, that you´re not happy with the current DAWs. Something feels missing, doesn´t it.

If you're looking for just synths, sequencing them, or recording with a controller and then sequencing them it's hard to beat.

Phoenix and Wolfsburg sounds even good enough up for exports in daws.

try it before it gets bloated ;-)

waiting man wrote:If you're looking for just synths, sequencing them, or recording with a controller and then sequencing them it's hard to beat.

Phoenix and Wolfsburg sounds even good enough up for exports in daws.

try it before it gets bloated ;-)
Depends on your style of music but i really like Dublin and Chiang Mai (?)The Phase Modulation Synth is absolutely amazing!

The whole App is just so much fun to work with. My absolute favourite "standalone" iPad App so far.

So far the synths are mostly suave. (mmh Kingston and Tokyo maybe not much)
I see the new acoustic drums and el. bass addons and I hope we'll not end with, just examples, with the acoustic strum gadget or cinematic taikos or whatever. (undemocratic useless biased hyperpolarized opinion)

thanks for the feedback guys.

still thinking on it... if we skip the 'stand alone' aspect of it, and just look purely on the instruments/gadgets on offer (to be sequenced by other external sequencers perhaps, and to be recorded in other apps perhaps), do you still feel like it's worth buying ? the architecture on some of these devices seems very simple, but of course that's fine if it sounds great...

If you don't buy it this time, you can always grab it the next time it goes half price. So don't feel any pressure :)

I guess the best way to see what the synths are capable of is to check out demos online and hear what others are getting out of Gadget.
Image Image Image Image

Daags wrote:thanks for the feedback guys.

still thinking on it... if we skip the 'stand alone' aspect of it, and just look purely on the instruments/gadgets on offer (to be sequenced by other external sequencers perhaps, and to be recorded in other apps perhaps), do you still feel like it's worth buying ? the architecture on some of these devices seems very simple, but of course that's fine if it sounds great...
The app is pretty unique, it's targeted at the Hobbyist musician much like the Korg Volca Series, which deliver great sounds too in their respective area.

The synths are very easy to use, and are begging to be pushed to their limits. Their limitations are obvious, but they struck a great balance between features and simplicity. They sound absolutely great, everyone will have their favourites, depending on their genre. Some are specifically tailored to certain genres, so you won't like every one. Some aren't great as well, like Marseille. Others are so unique, you might never heard anything like it before, like the Ambient/Pad Synths Helsinki and Kiev.

I think it's absolutely viable, to use it in the way you described, i will too. Now that i think of it, layering should be perfectly possible too, which could turn this into a monster synth!

But, i think you'll really like to work just inside the app, jamming with friends while being baked. No other app can do it like this app, as far as im aware of.

Daags wrote:thanks for the feedback guys.

No big issue, can be used as expander and synth hub as, say, vsts.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”