VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
LittleOne

EPISODE 9

https://www.facebook.com/XhunAudio/phot ... =3&theater

Just a side note...
...The original Little Phatty analog hardware synthesizer was monophonic only. But if you purchased 2 or more Little Phattys (spending thousands of dollars) you can link them using their USB ports. Then, if you played one of that "linked/chained" synths, you had a full, polyphonic hardware synth (each synth adds 1 voice). LittleOne version 3.x accurately mimics this way of producing polyphony...

So, in addition to a monophonic mode - and free of charge :) - LittleOne version 3.x will feature a true analogue, 4-voices polyphony. Generally, software synthesizers' polyphony consists in just "adding virtual instances" of the same voice and while this reduces the complexity of the software simulation, the natural behaviour and the inner circuitry structure of an analogue hardware synth are not preserved at all. Instead, LittleOne version 3.x mimics with 100% accuracy the structure and signal path of a real, 4-voice analogue hardware synth. There are not virtual instances, but 4 separate synthesizers are simulated ! In addition to this (for a true-to-life realism), also separate "tuning" for the 4 analogue synths is possible.
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

Out of curiosity, how does this go beyond something like the per-voice detune on the Oberheim OB-X?
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote:Out of curiosity, how does this go beyond something like the per-voice detune on the Oberheim OB-X?
Hey Jeremiah,

currently I don't have a deep knowledge of the Oberheim OB-X synth structure, I know there's a voice detune option but I miss its details, for example I don't know if this kind of detune can be modulated by some CV sources etc... (if you know this, let me know about it)

LittleOne version 3.x is a four voices polyphonic synth, a "cluster" of 4 monophonic "LittleOneS". When you change a param like filter cutoff, envelope decay, etc... this is applied to all (4) synths. The only parameter that can be adjusted separately for each synth (voice) is the Main Tuning (also present in the original analog hardware). Each Main Tuning transposes the 2 oscillators of each synth (voice) up or down 1 semitone. A slight detune of the 4 voices mimics a real analogue synth, higher values bring weird behaviours. This kind of per-voice detuning adds huge depth to pads etc., and it is NOT modulable in LittleOne (as in the original hardware).

Also, in LO 3, the 4 synths have also FULLY independent analogue components instabilities (a total of 8 "main" oscillators have an independent behaviour each, caused by instabilities of each component). Factors that cause this analogue instability now can be controlled/adjusted by the end-user (I'll talk about this in Episode 10).

xhunaudio wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:Out of curiosity, how does this go beyond something like the per-voice detune on the Oberheim OB-X?
Hey Jeremiah,

currently I don't have a deep knowledge of the Oberheim OB-X synth structure, I know there's a voice detune option but I miss its details, for example I don't know if this kind of detune can be modulated by some CV sources etc... (if you know this, let me know about it)

LittleOne version 3.x is a four voices polyphonic synth, a "cluster" of 4 monophonic "LittleOneS". When you change a param like filter cutoff, envelope decay, etc... this is applied to all (4) synths. The only parameter that can be adjusted separately for each synth (voice) is the Main Tuning (also present in the original analog hardware). Each Main Tuning transposes the 2 oscillators of each synth (voice) up or down 1 semitone. A slight detune of the 4 voices mimics a real analogue synth, higher values bring weird behaviours. This kind of per-voice detuning adds huge depth to pads etc., and it is NOT modulable in LittleOne (as in the original hardware).

Also, in LO 3, the 4 synths have also FULLY independent analogue components instabilities (a total of 8 "main" oscillators have an independent behaviour each, caused by instabilities of each component). Factors that cause this analogue instability now can be controlled/adjusted by the end-user (I'll talk about this in Episode 10).
Means like Animoog and Model 15 app does. So what about MPE for using it with a Seaboard Rise, Linnstrument etc.?

Cinebient wrote:So what about MPE for using it with a Seaboard Rise, Linnstrument etc.?
Hi Cinebient,

MPE is currently not supported, and sincerly I don't believe it will be supported shortly. It is a "niche feature" at now and seems not to be so important ( = I currently can't see a real "need" for it ).

xhunaudio wrote:
kylie wrote:now that you are even considering a different GUI... may I humbly add a "+1" for it and a "+0.5" for the slim phatty front plate? :pray:
hey kylie, eheh, it seems you are a huge fan of that slim phatty panel... :)
absolutely! you would agree if you had one... ;)

xhunaudio wrote:Also, in LO 3, the 4 synths have also FULLY independent analogue components instabilities (a total of 8 "main" oscillators have an independent behaviour each, caused by instabilities of each component). Factors that cause this analogue instability now can be controlled/adjusted by the end-user (I'll talk about this in Episode 10).
Sounds pretty cool, can't wait!

(When when when????)

JerGoertz wrote:
xhunaudio wrote:Also, in LO 3, the 4 synths have also FULLY independent analogue components instabilities (a total of 8 "main" oscillators have an independent behaviour each, caused by instabilities of each component). Factors that cause this analogue instability now can be controlled/adjusted by the end-user (I'll talk about this in Episode 10).
Sounds pretty cool, can't wait!

(When when when????)
Hi,

for sure after the Summer. I would like to make a proper launch, and I'll need some time to do it. :)

EPISODE 10

https://www.facebook.com/XhunAudio/phot ... =3&theater

Based on analog electronics components, an analog synthesizer brings within itself all the imperfections of this technology. This is why its sound is so warm and rich. The simulation of analogue components inside LittleOne version 3.x take great care of this micro-instabilities and imperfections. Now, you can choose what kind of components to use inside LittleOne, with a simple click. You can choose to use ultra-stable components, phase-locked oscillators (like in todays' analogue synthesizers) or you can select aged, much more unstable components and disable the phase-lock of the main oscillators ! In LittleOne version 3.x, this kind of instabilities and imperfections are a "property" of each component INDEPENDENTLY from the others and, since each voice is a full, independent synth (like mentioned in the previous post), this means that in this simulation, 10s' of components have their own, independent analogue instability, "tweakable" by the end-user.

xhunaudio wrote:
TheoM wrote:so glad to see you updating this and moving it to mac as well. The audio demos of little one really impressed me a hell of a lot, i thought, "what a fantastic sounding little synth".

Good luck with it, i've never been a customer as i'm not a windows guy so can't participate in the beta, but will check it out upon release.

Cheers
Hi TheoM,

Sure , adding OSX compatibility is something I always considered important, and I'm very happy to finally release LittleOne (and future products) for this system.

Obviously when it will be released, a demo version will be available too :)
Hi i just saw your post :) Cheers.
I will be honest, i don't use software synths anymore for VA, but I am SUPER interested in the guitar modelling plugin. SO hopefully you will set the new cross platform framework with little one and as you say, port other stuff in the future. There really isn't any hardware guitar modelling as far as I am aware. Just typical small rom size pcm based stuff.

Hi TheoM,

yes, after LittleOne, it will be time for IronAxe and new products. It is important to complete everything with no hurry. So I'll take all the necessary time to exclusively launch LittleOne, then I'll focus on other products.

+1 for dual GUI. :)
I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Any update?

JerGoertz wrote:Any update?
Hi Jeremiah,

as always, sorry for my reply delay, sometimes an incoming new comment/post isn't notified to my email address :)

Thank you for asking, everything fine here, I'm completing the factory library (and also Big Steps expansion), it is much more big than the library of the previous versions of LittleOne. Also some small fixes have to be done. The development machine is proceeding fine, but unfortunately maybe everything will be *slightly* slowed down for some personal reasons that have nothing to do with the development itself.

Okay, looking fwd to the re-release!

Return to “Instruments”