Common, everyday arguing about drum machines and everything that could be considered as a DM.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lejurai wrote:Softube modular is really nice to make drums.
Some lovely lovely toms and kicks coming out of this thing :)
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

xoxos wrote:i wonder if as a community we'll progress to some kind of widespread delineation of drum machine genre by application.

as a developer my focus has been to facilitate, to avail a timbral process. and realistically, i think in 2016 hosts are generally able to host plugins in a flexible manner so that a single timbre or single process instrument isn't an obstruction to composition. to me this is the most sensible, since my focus is timbral optioning.

as far as i can figure, casually, folks who want a multitimbral percussion are either in live apps, where the interface and ability to edit/perform sequences is important, or in production, where the focus is getting some sounds in a recording and the job done, where eg. a single machine offering a kit with integrated performance and mix functions is a choice of efficiency.

for artists who are exploring or expressing outside of referenced space, single timbre instruments permit the most flexibility in use and for the developer, who isn't obliged to tie any particular timbral process into a full polytimbral instrument.

a heap for your "arguing about drum machines" plate :) i always read these threads of people asking for a drum machine with n features .. like asking for boone's farm at a wine tasting convention. sure but you're missing out on variety if you want the lunchbox.
Actually, making categories nowadays, and assuming that this or that instrument is, or should be, used for this or that task, in this or that configuration is always a bit risky. Like saying that the freedom users can have should be more limited than the one you claim for as a developer.

However, I agree with you that thinking out of the box, and following other paths than those already explored, sometimes perhaps too much, is - often - good for people inventing new instruments.

Then,it's not only the timbral approach alone that makes an instrument. There's also a culture of the instrument behind all that. It's not by total hasard that we have drum KITS, and percussion Ensembles. It's because some Drums/Percussions instruments are not intended to be played alone, but simultaneously/Together. Therefore, it is certainly not only handy, but most of times mandatory, to be able to control the partition quickly and in a precise and fast way. To get instantaneous visual feedback on the partition ( Like in XoX sequencers for exemple). As they deal with groove, it's also good to have microtiming editing, etc etc. And have sequencers also possibly interact with the synthesis engines for example, in a way no Daw can achieve. This exceeds by far the possible reasons (efficiency, Live needs) you mention to use multi units, it's more trying to approach one of the many hybrid possible instruments found between the electronic/synthesis world, and the musical gestures and way of thinking/acting of drummers and percussion players. It should also be noted, imho, than a mutitimbral machine cant be strictly opposed to very powerfull and in depth programming, and versatile & innovative synthesis models. You can find some multidrums units with in depth options, and single instruments models with very poor options. It's more a question of immersion into a drummer workflow and brain, like I tried to describe above, imho.

This however doesnt nullify the possible need for the solo instruments you describe very well, and actually, here, as in other synthesis fields, everything is possible, and welcomed. They are also part of the big percussion family. These instruments can as be used as the entire backbone of a track, or to complement more integrated machines, or combined to make a 'set/kit' etc, if people are ok with this workflow.

Actually, the more options people have, the better. My 0.002.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

shroom81 wrote:
Lejurai wrote:Softube modular is really nice to make drums.
Some lovely lovely toms and kicks coming out of this thing :)
+1

Also bounced my drums to audio and zoomed to waveforms.. There's a little variation in every hit ^^

*edit*

Managed to make so punchy kicks that my cones are near melting.

Drumatic4 is nice .... Tremor looks really appealing , I remember when Geist replaced Guru then Tremor came along ......then Geist2 came out and I was thinking why didn't they combine the 2 plugins ? Especially when you have things like NI Maschine out there ??? Anyways Drumatic4 is plenty .

It'd be fun to know when 5 is coming. Afaik e-phonic person is open for suggestions about it.

I found the free DrumPro a gem. It has few drum machines and it's really CPU-light and straight-forward. No depth though, just few samples, but a really great one for simple work and layering.

fedexnman wrote:Drumatic4 is nice .... Tremor looks really appealing , I remember when Geist replaced Guru then Tremor came along ......then Geist2 came out and I was thinking why didn't they combine the 2 plugins ?
I think 8 engines worth of Tremor would bring many computers to their knees. :help:

Winstontaneous wrote:
fedexnman wrote:Drumatic4 is nice .... Tremor looks really appealing , I remember when Geist replaced Guru then Tremor came along ......then Geist2 came out and I was thinking why didn't they combine the 2 plugins ?
I think 8 engines worth of Tremor would bring many computers to their knees. :help:
Meh

Um...tremor IS 8 engines worth. Am I missing something? My quad i7 has been handling tremor comfortably for the past few years.

masterhiggins wrote:My quad i7 has been handling tremor comfortably for the past few years.
My 3ghz core2 duo handles tremor comfortably :D

Tremor used to be heavy on the CPU upon release, but it has been optimised since. At least that's how it appears since I can run Tremor on my measly dual-core Macbook without any CPU issues. All 8 tracks, lots of effects on each track and the master bus. Easy.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Anyone tried that new kick thingy D16 released?

Any opinions on Axón and tattoo by Audio Damage?
dedication to flying

I love Axon. Even though it's really simple, the randomness is lovely. I also have tattoo but I'm selling my license away since I feel it's not for me. Lacks something that I find from Attack.

acYm though seems to like it.
acYm wrote:
Lejurai wrote:
acYm wrote:similarly high cool factor: Tattoo.
What?! Could you please tell me why? :D IMO it's far from great. More like clunky. But if you convince me, I may give it another chance.
it has variable randomization for both on and off steps, as well as random pattern generation every bar. few soft sequencers that can send midi out have that. the drumsynth is terrific fun with a stepmod preassigned to every parameter, and it has multi-output. other than the pattern-grid, the whole instrument integrates very well with control surfaces, great jamming fun. I wouldn't use it as a main since it can't record, but I can't really think of a cooler companion for Nerve.

tattoo, like much AD stuff, feels like an old reaktor ensemble: weird and a bit uninviting at first, but tremendous fun once you crack it open, and sounds authentic.

I have not delved into programming PunchBox yet but the factory content is VERY impressive. some people will be annoyed that it involves layering but you can't see exactly how things line up, no multi output.

Return to “Instruments”