Audio recording workflow help please

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello! First off thanks for making this great audio software available it is truly amazing!

I am recently starting to use the audio features a bit more recently and need help with the workflow for recording please. Currently running M7.

I can set up an audio track but when ever I record another track below, the former track doesn't seem to want to display any additional recorded clips anymore.

I do double click on the former track to arm it but the recording goes straight to the browser section instead of the track.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks!

Hi,

I tried this:
1. Start a new project, delete any tracks from the template
2. Add a new audio track, set the recorder to record the metronome (as I've no audio sources!)
3. Hit record and record four bars of click
4. Hit play to stop recording
5. Add a new audio track, set the recorder to record the metronome
6. Set the play head back to the start of the time line
7. Hit record and record four bars of click
8. Disarm the second track by single click on the red circle in the track header (red goes out)
9. Arm the first track by single click on the non-red circle in the track header (goes red)
10. Set the play head to after the first four bars
11. Hit record and record four bars of click

I got two main tracks and a sub-track, all showing the recorded audio:

Thanks but I cannot get the first track to bring back the record buttons...it's like it's frozen there so I can't record anything on the first one..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I also tried changing it to the recorder (I believe this is the wrong way though) and still doesn't work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Are you running 7.0.47?

When you click "+" to add a track, are you selecting "Add Audio Track"?

Running latest version as of this week..and yes I started off as an audio track but now it's locked and I can't record back in it...it will go straight to the audio browser. I can create a new audio track which will work but the record arm button will not re-appear on the previous track. If I send the track to the audio file recorder (not sure what this would do) then double clicking on the track icon will bring up the recording options but it still won't work..

This really looks like a bug because I can't get anything done right now I wish the track could be switched back to an audio which it can't right now.

I see you're using the audio file recorder module and maybe a wrong setup,
I made a little video showing what was already explained by pljones, hoping that helps :)

Yes thank you very much!!

It looks like I had audio files in a regular track (not sure how it became like that).

I tested using a brand new audio track as well as adding additional tracks and the record arm buttons do stay there as they are supposed!

I will experiment a bit more but thanks a lot! This is great!

You're welcome! :tu:

See step 1 in the instructions I gave -- start a new project and delete any existing tracks. In your first picture, neither of the first two tracks is an audio track. They both target racks directly. You must use, as I said in steps 2 and 5, "Add audio track", if you want the audio recorder track header, because none of the other track types is an audio track and only the audio track has the audio track header.

pljones wrote:See step 1 in the instructions I gave -- start a new project and delete any existing tracks. In your first picture, neither of the first two tracks is an audio track. They both target racks directly. You must use, as I said in steps 2 and 5, "Add audio track", if you want the audio recorder track header, because none of the other track types is an audio track and only the audio track has the audio track header.
Yes thanks I certainly realize that now which is logical. Although how can a regular track still hold audio and not be an audio track?

Also, why would the audio recorder be available destination in a track? Would it be there for freezing a track for example?

Thanks!

It's always worth looking at things in MuLab's Modular view.

Add track offers four alternatives:
- Instrument track. This is a basic track with some extra shortcut features. It prompts you to pick an instrument (but you'll notice you can pick pretty much anything), then creates a rack with the selected module in the first slot and targets the track at that rack.
- Audio track. This is an enhanced version of the basic track. As it's for audio input, there's no prompt for an instrument but it still creates a rack. This rack is the track target -- but there's some magic in that an indelible audio file recorder is attached in front of the rack.
- MultiSampla track. Another basic track with some extra shortcut features, this time prompting for a MultiSampla file to load. It then creates a rack with a MultiSampla loaded with the file and targets the track at that rack.
- Track. The basic track. Nothing extra happens - it's up to you how to wire it up. But you can't turn it into the Audio track.

Note that the Audio track is an enhanced version of the basic track -- only the header is special, nothing else. Any track can hold an audio part or a sequence part -- or both.

Because of the modular nature of MuLab, it only makes sense to talk about freezing at the rack level - right-click the rack header and select render to Audio Track(s) (which I think is misnamed -- it's rendering to audio parts).

Return to “MUTOOLS”