Shreddage 2 IBZ: Two separate Kontakt instances and two different rhythm guitar parts?

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't seem to find the information I'm looking for, so I'll ask directly.

I've noticed that, to avoid phasing issues, for double tracking, the manual says to make sure that channels are receiving the exact same midi data. Why is that? Knowing why may help me understand whether I should do what I'm looking to do or not.

The music I produce requires the guitars to play identical rhythm parts, but a lot of the single notes within the rhythm parts are harmonized between the two guitars. IE: In Flames, Killswitch Engage, Arch Enemy...etc..., so the "double track" button won't do what I'm looking to do.

Will I run into any phasing issues if I choose to manually edit two separate guitar tracks, one left and one right, to humanize it and have two different rhythm parts playing the same riff 90% of the time, with occasional harmony thrown in? I want to edit the midi parts of each guitar as though they are two live guitarists being recorded. I want to manualyl control the imperfections in timing, rather than have shreddage automate it.

Also, if my left and right track each have a different instance of kontakt on them, will that cause any issues with shreddage?

The way our double tracking works is like this: All our sounds have 2-4x variations (RRs). So for the same exact articulation, fret, stroke direction, and pitch, everything has been captured 2-4x (for palm mutes, that are many times more due to different muting levels).

So let's say you're playing a mute, the first recording triggered is "A". Then the next press of the same exact key/velocity triggers "B". Then "C", then "D", then back to "A". This is actually a little simplified, because in reality we use a pseudo-random sequence to ensure it's not always in the same order each time. But that's the idea.

If you switch the patch to DT Guitar 2, instead of starting with "A", it instead starts with "B". If we were to look at the output of each guitar, in terms of variations, we'd see:

Guitar 1: ABCD ABCD
Guitar 2: BCDA BCDA

But all our data is stored per-note. That means if the MIDI data branches out, you could be in a situation like this.

Guitar 1 plays Note 1 three times (RRs played: ABC).
Guitar 2 plays Note 1 twice, then Note 2 once. (Note 1 RRs: BC, Note 2: B).

If they both converge on Note 1 again, Guitar 1 will play variation "D", but because Guitar 2 switched notes, its position in the Note 1 sequence is actually "D" now as well. That's why the MIDI data has to stay synced. The advantage of this method is that both guitars can play ALL samples, instead of splitting the pool between them.

Now if you do want to use separate notes, I recommend using DT Guitar 1 + DT Guitar 4. Guitars 3+4 work by re-pitching neighboring zones and using those instead. If you do this, make sure to turn off "Anti Repetition" on Guitar 1.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Good to know that guitar 3&4 behaviour. I wish that was stated more clearly in the manual. And if it reads there already, I wish I had read it more clearly :)

Return to “Impact Soundworks”