Surface 2013: good bye iPad?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

iPlogger wrote:Sure, the apps aren't necessarily very touch-friendly, which may be an issue for some, but I can always use a mouse.
Then why a tablet/hybrid and not a laptop?
To me, "touch-friendly" seems to be the main reason for having/using a tablet.

My desktop isn't necessarily very portable, which may be an issue for some, but you can always grow some muscles. :P

egbert wrote:What are the dongles you refer to - are they for cellular connection?
No. Various video connection adapters (DVI, VGA), ethernet adapter, and docking stations.

Kind of weird that design of the 1989 Compaq LTE laptop hasn't been revisited more

This had a trackball on the right side of the screen, with two buttons on the backside, so a user could control it like a mouse holding it in grip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_LTE

T-CM11 wrote:
iPlogger wrote:Sure, the apps aren't necessarily very touch-friendly, which may be an issue for some, but I can always use a mouse.
Then why a tablet/hybrid and not a laptop?
To me, "touch-friendly" seems to be the main reason for having/using a tablet.
Even without being touch-friendly, touch is still extremely useful. What I mean is, VSTs are not necessarily sized for touch and not multi-touch capable. But they are all still quite capable as a touch experience. In fact, I've been doing sound design the last several weeks with Omnisphere all using touch. I rarely use the mouse when working on music due to the one USB port. I have my MIDI keyboard hooked up and that's it. I'll tend to use the trackpad if I need to. The only time I really need to use a mouse (or I'll sometimes use the Pen) is with Synthmaster. Though I still have the choice of using the trackpad. A lot of the Synthmaster GUI is really small and I have to use the mouse/pen for scrolling. Or another example is Addictive Keys which requires the CTRL key (I think it's CTRL) to use fine movement. I've asked if they can make it touch-friendly by dragging far away to provide smaller knob increments.

I thought about a laptop (which is what I had before the Surface), but I really like the tablet concept. I can lay it flat on my keyboard or on some surface. I can keep my live setup clean, as I prefer a simple look and did not want a monitor rising up. I also really prefer touch ability. Switching patterns, mixing, editing drum patterns, all so nice with touch. I really enjoy reading on the Surface (similar to iPad) over a laptop.

I recently purchased Civilization V through the Steam Summer Sale and they have a touch-friendly version I have been using. But, of course, many games I pretty much have to use a mouse.

I still love the iPad, but it really hasn't done much for my music since getting the Surface. I fiddled with musicIO a little bit and eventually do want to re-integrate the iPad, but too many other priorities at the moment. I've used TB MIDI Stuff for creating controls and live editing and sound manipulation. I also have Lemur which I want to start using as well. I still have plans to continue using the iPad for music.

My iPhone 6S plus is still the best multi-touch device for me due to the 3D touch (which even works more smooth and better than my Seaboard Rise touch movements).
I hope i can use this 3D touch on a tablet soon or hybrid device.
If Apple release an iPad Pro with 3D touch it will be lightyears ahead of any windows 10 multi-touch device.
If there were a windows 10 device with this tech i would buy in a heartbeat.
Then someone should make a great app like the Roli Noise app but with midi out, scales etc. please.
I see a big future of multi-touch devices as controller rather than sound generator or crippled DAW's running on it.
Since windows 10 seems a dead island i think the iPads are the way to go here....

Cinebient wrote:My iPhone 6S plus is still the best multi-touch device for me due to the 3D touch (which even works more smooth and better than my Seaboard Rise touch movements).
If Apple release an iPad Pro with 3D touch it will be lightyears ahead of any windows 10 multi-touch device.
Then someone should make a great app like the Roli Noise app but with midi out, scales etc. please.
I see a big future of multi-touch devices as controller rather than sound generator or crippled DAW's running on it.
Since windows 10 seems a dead island i think the iPads are the way to go here....
Can the iPhone 6S plus sense 128 levels of velocity?
From a very light finger touch to a thump?
Very curious.

Perhaps future VST's will have a built in multi-touch keyboard.
All the knobs and faders will be not only be multi-touch capable but also multi-touch friendly.

Kalamata Kid wrote:
Cinebient wrote:My iPhone 6S plus is still the best multi-touch device for me due to the 3D touch (which even works more smooth and better than my Seaboard Rise touch movements).
Can the iPhone 6S plus sense 128 levels of velocity?
From a very light finger touch to a thump?
Very curious.

Perhaps future VST's will have a built in multi-touch keyboard.
All the knobs and faders will be not only be multi-touch capable but also multi-touch friendly.

You already have all that in iOS apps.
In theory the 3D touch had 128 levels (or even more) on each axis and that polyphonic. It's limited to 5 inputs on iPhones so it would be great to have a 10 input version on iPads.
Velocity is indeed not as acurate as on my Seaboard and could be improved but it's usable too. So here keys are better but for everything else like polyphonic aftertouch, polyphonic pitch bends/glide, polyphonic Y axis modulation it works much better for me. Of course it's also because a flat surface is better for extrem fast slides on all 3 axis at the same time.
But every input has its own pro and contra. For some things i even prefer my macbook keys for midi input since i can play them faster and can switch things better.
Edit: I mean i use multi-touch now mainly as controller (except awesome apps like Animoog, Model 15, Mitosynth f.e.).
I wish Apple macbook pro had a giant trackpad which is a multi-touch screen as well so that it could be uses as virtual keyboard.
So i still have to use seperate devices to get the best of all. IOS apps are far ahead for live input but the tools itself on my macbook just sounds much better mostly but can't be controlled in such a nice way!

MS Surface 55" and 84". Very expensive!
https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-surface-hub/en-gb

A 34" Surface Pro will be just fine for me.
And it it had velocity sensing even better!
And under $2000 would make me an instant buyer.

On second thought a 55" Surface on my desk at about 20 degrees up
would also be fine if the price was right. Yes I measured it and seems
a bit big for my studio but I will manage. :D

Kalamata Kid wrote:MS Surface 55" and 84". Very expensive!

I would like to have a 21" tablet with 3d touch :D
But a lot VST´s are even not multi-touch ready. Some (mostly which made with JUCE i think) are even when not made for it!
Or i could imagine a notebook but with a keyboard like a Seaboard surface with tactile feedback but also continous slides/glides and polyphonic aftertouch.
In some decades we sure get things which cam transfrom in different ways....but i don´t think i will have the time to see it.....life is just to short for explore all the things i want.
Could someone freeze me for 100 years? :D :borg:

Your local chiropractor is more excited than you are :scared:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

These large monitors are not meant to be carried around.
I may have to strengthen the desk to support the extra weight. :lol:

Check out my studio with the multi-touch monitor.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4#p6603264

Kalamata Kid wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

These large monitors are not meant to be carried around.
Except that you would be far more likely to use better posture when carrying than when using :shrug:

So these are just a very big phone - sort of like Radio Raheen's ghetto blaster in Do the Right Thing. You can meet people on dark street corners and just turn the display brightness up until the other guy slinks off into the dark with his tail and (presumably, iPhone/androidy thing) between his legs. :party:

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”