Is there a software to select a scale and allowing to play only the white keys?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
First, sorry if my english is not very good, it is not my mother tongue.
I'd like to know if there is a software (like Cubase or FL Studio I guess) that would allow someone like me (who doesn't play piano) to select a scale and then play only the white keys of the controller. Because I know only 2 scales (C major and A minor) use only the white keys and that every other scale needs at least one black key. But I don't want to practice a lot in order to be able to play in every scale. I just would like to have some fun by playing only the white keys (to try to create a melody) but without being limited in 2 scales.
Thanks,
Pierick

How about learning some more scales?

Sampleconstruct wrote:How about learning some more scales?
Of course I could learn some more scales. I could also learn playing drum, guitar, etc. But the softwares allow us to use all the instruments (or almost all) without knowing playing them, right? So I wonder if there is a software that allows us to play every scale without bothering to know how to play them.

Music is about learning, not about software, in my small world that is.

Push works like that. You select key and scale, then you can play only the right notes.
I remember there being some software that let you do something similar, but can't remember the name atm.

thecontrolcentre wrote:I remember there being some software that let you do something similar, but can't remember the name atm.
You mean Reaper? :D
(JS plugin "MIDI Snap To Key")
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

It's an interesting question, actually. Of course one should continually strive to better oneself and to master the tools of creation. On the other hand, I have to admit that a piano keyboard is not the most intuitive of interfaces. Each scale required learning completely different hand positions. A guitar is much better in this respect, although I've never found it particularly intuitive either. The piano keyboard was the best technology of it's time, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. It actually makes some sense to use the same set of white keys with a simple transposition, at least for fairly simple music. Obviously that isn't going to work so well for 12-tone serial composition. ;)
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

chokehold wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:I remember there being some software that let you do something similar, but can't remember the name atm.
You mean Reaper? :D
(JS plugin "MIDI Snap To Key")
Didn't know about Reaper. Does that work in real-time?

Sure there are many. Ableton also has "MIDI scale" stock plugin for that.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

thecontrolcentre wrote:Push works like that. You select key and scale, then you can play only the right notes.
I remember there being some software that let you do something similar, but can't remember the name atm.
You can do it without Push too.

Extend the bar to 2 bars, put notes on desired keys in the second bar, collapse view, select only the first bar. Done.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I think one of piz's midi plugins does does the key-force thing too-

http://thepiz.org/plugins/
ImageImageImageImage

http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmid

This collection has a force to key plug that should allow most DAWs without the functionality built in to do this.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
chokehold wrote:(JS plugin "MIDI Snap To Key")
Didn't know about Reaper. Does that work in real-time?
Yes, it's a plugin that "changes note numbers" on the fly as they trickle in, no need for delays.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

The new devices in Reason 9 sound exactly like what you are looking for. Check out the newest videos on their YouTube channel where they show practical examples.

You can download the demo and use the midi out device to send the midi to another host. You won't be able to save but if you're just using it as an idea creator it might be all you need.
Feel free to call me Brian.

You can use transposition or, if you need something more advanced, you can look at the "Scales & Chords" introduced in Reason 9... but I strongly advice you to use the black keys instead.

You're putting a huge limitation on your creativity by using only the white keys, for example you can play only on the natural minor scale but not on the harmonic minor or melodic minor scale on the same key. I don't know if the "Scales & Chords" feature of Reason 9 is smart enough to play those scales, but transposition is not enough.

Black keys are there for a good reason. Some scales may be a bit difficult to play, but something like a F Major scale is very easy (start from F, play a Bb instead of a B and you're done), you don't need a lot of practicing to learn a few basic scales beside C Major and A (natural) minor. Once you know how to play the F Major scale, you already know how to play the D (natural) minor scale (exactly the same keys, but start from D instead of F)...

If you don't want to study/practice (I strongly disagree, but it's your choice), learn at least how to play harmonic and melodic minor scales on a key of your choice, so then you can transpose your keyboard effectively. It will require you to play some black keys, but it is very worth it, it unlocks a lot of possibilities.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”