Behringer Analog Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wonder if it's 6 voices all the time.

I bet there's a good chance it could be 6 voices for both osc, or 12 for one osc... or maybe not. 12 voices is a lot!

It better be multi-timbral

AnX wrote:Im wondering how much of the synth will actually be analog. If ppl are guessing it will be low priced, its likely it will be dco's and def digital fx. Could be its only the filter that is truely analog....
DCO's confirmed:

stillshaded wrote:I wonder if it's 6 voices all the time.

I bet there's a good chance it could be 6 voices for both osc, or 12 for one osc... or maybe not. 12 voices is a lot!
Possible but highly unlikely. Since it's polyphonic, each osc would have to have its own filter and amp section for this to happen, and the Sequential Six-Trak is the only analog I remember that did this.
Not too many multi-timbral analogs out there (Andromeda and Dave Smith are, Minilogue and Moogs are not) but it wouldn't be shocking if it is.

stillshaded wrote:I bet there's a good chance it could be 6 voices for both osc, or 12 for one osc... or maybe not. 12 voices is a lot!

It would be very unlikely, highly controversial and maybe even misleading, if they called a 6 voice analog 12 voice voice by multiplying it with numbers of DCOs. Personally I know only of very few two-DCO/VCO synth, where the two DCOs are diveded to each their voice, e.g. duophonic synths like Korg's remake of Arp Oddysey. If they stick to the usual architechture and nomenclatura of polysynths like this, one voice has two DCOs (and maybe a sub we don't know of yet).

Wouldn't bet on multitimbrality either but here we could be surprised depending on how high Behringer is aiming.

If the price for the 12 voices unit is $2000 or below, expect a huge flood of small synths on Ebay soon.

Also just a thought: If we synth lovers want to see a healthy synth market, we don't want Behringer (or any other giant) to conquer it and put some smaller manufacturers out of business.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:If the price for the 12 voices unit is $2000 or below, expect a huge flood of small synths on Ebay soon.

Also just a thought: If we synth lovers want to see a healthy synth market, we don't want Behringer (or any other giant) to conquer it and put some smaller manufacturers out of business.
You don't believe that just because Behringer brings out an affordable 12-voice analog synth, they will conquer the market, and put every other synth company out of business though, do you? :P I don't think a Moog lover would just use the Behringer synth, because it's cheaper... especially in this business, it's mostly about the sound, and especially in the analog synth business it is.

Generally speaking people who buy synths over (say) $1k don't buy one to replace another, they buy one to add to another.

Go to Gearslutz for proof.

Plus, this sounds super DCO, even moreso than Dave Smith's. I could see Juno and JX prices being affected, sort of like what the MS-20 Mini did to vintage MS-20 prices, but not many other synths.

AnX wrote:its likely it will be dco's and def digital fx.

Some perceptive guy at GS noticed an effect botton in one of the vids but I would really beware of using the word "definetely" in any predictions at this point given the already large amount of Nostradamus failures. Neither analog nor digital effects will make me particulary happy. This teaser campaign has been a little vicious. For a moment I actually thought we had an affordable minilogue competitor. Now people are discussing DSI Prophet 6 or Roland JD XA versus this one. With added effects of any kind + 12 voices, it seems more and more like we are in this league, which at best means a price in the lower end of this spectrum :cry:

On the Behringer facebook page, Behringer were asked if they were using custom voice chips to keep the price down... the answer was:
Behringer wrote:It is a fully discrete analog design - likely the world's first polysynth without custom made IC's. Thousands of discrete components.
:love:

I guess the Midas crew involved in the design went all out...

then someone replied directly to that statement by Behringer, and said:
"Sorry, this is not correct. There are no Custom made ICs in Prophet-6/OB-6 and Modal 002/008 either."

to which Behringer replied:
Behringer wrote:The older synths used Curtis and SSM chips which are integrated VCO and VCF designs. Our design is discrete as we only use traditional opamps and OTA's etc. to build VCF's and VCO's etc. The DSI designs we saw used a custom made VCF chip. They might have changed this now and hence we stand corrected if it is no longer the case.

another quote, taken from a different comment...
Behringer wrote:Once we will reveal the board pics, you'll see the tremendous amount of components and density. A true masterpiece of engineering - true MIDAS.

Mutant wrote:If the price for the 12 voices unit is $2000 or below, expect a huge flood of small synths on Ebay soon.

give your predictions a rest. you're striking out every time.

Weird that they went all out on discrete components and then did DCO's. They're giving us the greatest sounding Juno-106 of all time. ;)

12 Voices!
Such a beautiful tone.
Where should I send my money?
Murderous duck!

Uncle E wrote:Weird that they went all out on discrete components and then did DCO's. They're giving us the greatest sounding Juno-106 of all time. ;)

who knows, maybe it's a good compromise ... depending on if they included some slop/drift feature and how well it works. could be a best of both worlds scenario.

IncarnateX wrote:
stillshaded wrote:I bet there's a good chance it could be 6 voices for both osc, or 12 for one osc... or maybe not. 12 voices is a lot!

It would be very unlikely, highly controversial and maybe even misleading, if they called a 6 voice analog 12 voice voice by multiplying it with numbers of DCOs. Personally I know only of very few two-DCO/VCO synth, where the two DCOs are diveded to each their voice, e.g. duophonic synths like Korg's remake of Arp Oddysey. If they stick to the usual architechture and nomenclatura of polysynths like this, one voice has two DCOs (and maybe a sub we don't know of yet).

Wouldn't bet on multitimbrality either but here we could be surprised depending on how high Behringer is aiming.
Well, I guess I just got burned from the Korg poly-800 being my first synth. Didn't realize it had only one filter for all voices until it was too late, lol.

It just seems crazy to put 12 voices in there without at least bi-timbrality. The only other reason I can think of needing that many voices for is if you had a two voice unison, which would actually be cool.

But 12 voices?? Dang. I use soft synths mostly and I never need that many. There are very few situations where that would really be necessary. And it seems like a highly odd decision to spend the extra money on those voices if it's just a standard single timbre synth.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”