Behringer Analog Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

stillshaded wrote: But 12 voices?? Dang. I use soft synths mostly and I never need that many.
Really? Sometimes i even find myself short with 72 on some pad sounds.

stillshaded wrote:12 voices?? Dang. I use soft synths mostly and I never need that many. There are very few situations where that would really be necessary. And it seems like a highly odd decision to spend the extra money on those voices if it's just a standard single timbre synth.

actually voice stealing is a really common hardware situation. play some pad chord progressions with a nice longish to long release, and you will very easily use those 12 voices or come within a voice or two of it. voice stealing isn't the worst thing in the world, but for sure I know I'd prefer if it didn't happen.

99 times out of 100 you don't get voice stealing on polyphonic soft synths, since the voice count is limited simply by your cpu demands and the processing power at your disposal, and most of the time you'll get audio breakup when the cpu is being pushed too hard, rather than any voice stealing... which would actually be beneficial in such a scenario. I'm sure some soft synths probably have it, but for sure it is not the norm. and i wonder just how well you really know how many voices are active at any one time, especially when you are using pad chords and progression... (which lets face it, isn't exactly an esoteric use of a synth) ... I'm guessing probably more than you realise.

so no, I don't agree with you that 12 voices is excessive or mad ... it's actually ideal as far as I'm concerned. I have some 6 voice keyboards, and a 8 voice polyevolver setup is probably the biggest voice count i have in terms of analog ...and i get/notice voice stealing all the time, not the worst thing in the world but I'd prefer not to.

that said, i certainly wouldn't scoff at a multi-timbral outcome ... but I really doubt that will happen.

stillshaded wrote:But 12 voices?? Dang. I use soft synths mostly and I never need that many. There are very few situations where that would really be necessary. And it seems like a highly odd decision to spend the extra money on those voices if it's just a standard single timbre synth.
Try longer release and frequent chord changes - ambient music is full of it.
Murderous duck!

Daags wrote:
stillshaded wrote:12 voices?? Dang. I use soft synths mostly and I never need that many. There are very few situations where that would really be necessary. And it seems like a highly odd decision to spend the extra money on those voices if it's just a standard single timbre synth.

actually voice stealing is a really common hardware situation. play some pad chord progressions with a nice longish to long release, and you will very easily use those 12 voices or come within a voice or two of it. voice stealing isn't the worst thing in the world, but for sure I know I'd prefer if it didn't happen.

99 times out of 100 you don't get voice stealing on polyphonic soft synths, since the voice count is limited simply by your cpu demands and the processing power at your disposal, and most of the time you'll get audio breakup when the cpu is being pushed too hard, rather than any voice stealing... which would actually be beneficial in such a scenario. I'm sure some soft synths probably have it, but for sure it is not the norm. and i wonder just how well you really know how many voices are active at any one time, especially when you are using pad chords and progression... (which lets face it, isn't exactly an esoteric use of a synth) ... I'm guessing probably more than you realise.

so no, I don't agree with you that 12 voices is excessive or mad ... it's actually ideal as far as I'm concerned. I have some 6 voice keyboards, and a 8 voice polyevolver setup is probably the biggest voice count i have in terms of analog ...and i get/notice voice stealing all the time, not the worst thing in the world but I'd prefer not to.

that said, i certainly wouldn't scoff at a multi-timbral outcome ... but I really doubt that will happen.
Andromeda is 16 voices...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Kool ? ... I like turtles.

Daags wrote:who knows, maybe it's a good compromise ... depending on if they included some slop/drift feature and how well it works. could be a best of both worlds scenario.
The DCO MKS70 is one of my favorites of all the Roland analogs and I'm actually very excited about a fully discrete DCO synth. I just think people might not be receptive of it if the price is high.

Uncle E wrote:Weird that they went all out on discrete components and then did DCO's. They're giving us the greatest sounding JX of all time. ;)
FTFY. Architechture wise and all :wink:

For the voice count thing, I guess it's a style thing.

I usually do stuff with a lot of chord changes and if I used a lot of release it would bleed into the next harmony and that wouldn't be good. My pads are usually few notes.. A lot of times I actually want voice stealing. I'll write parts for specific numbers of voices and I can crank the release and it will still work.

My buddy who likes to fart around with keyboards likes high voice counts though because he's usually doing some droney harmonically stagnant stuff where notes can hang around for a long time. That's one of the situations I can see it being necessary, just not my thing.

And yes I really hope they include a "slop" parameter. Is would be more likely to give this a go.

Or may be they have proper instability from the beginning so they simple wouldn't need "slop" knob.
Last edited by david.beholder on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murderous duck!

Mutant wrote:If the price for the 12 voices unit is $2000 or below, expect a huge flood of small synths on Ebay soon.
Sure and when this ain't happening, you will say that your prediction was based on the info given then and change it retrospectively. I think you have severely misunderstood something about the divination business. Don't invest your savings on a career.

deastman wrote:Andromeda is 16 voices...
Yup, which is part of why it's a phenomenal deal even at the crazy prices it sells for these days.

Strangely, the only Dave Smith synth that is multitimbral for each voice is the Tetra. The Prophet 12 and Prophet 08 are bi-timbral, everything else is monotimbral.

Uncle E wrote:
deastman wrote:Andromeda is 16 voices...
Yup, which is part of why it's a phenomenal deal even at the crazy prices it sells for these days.

Strangely, the only Dave Smith synth that is multitimbral for each voice is the Tetra. The Prophet 12 and Prophet 08 are bi-timbral, everything else is monotimbral.
Yup. The Andromeda is just an example of how 12 voices isn't all that outrageous or unprecedented. To tell the truth, I almost never use synths in a multitimbral capacity, unless I'm just playing a layered preset which I didn't build myself.

Also, I completely agree about the MKS-70. I really like that synth. And turtles.

Uncle E wrote: The DCO MKS70 is one of my favorites of all the Roland analogs and I'm actually very excited about a fully discrete DCO synth. I just think people might not be receptive of it if the price is high.
I owned an MKS70 for a while and it was a wonderful sounding machine...one of those ones I regret not having anymore.
If the new Behringer brings some of that feel back, it'll be a serious consideration for me.

ftech wrote:
Uncle E wrote: The DCO MKS70 is one of my favorites of all the Roland analogs and I'm actually very excited about a fully discrete DCO synth. I just think people might not be receptive of it if the price is high.
I owned an MKS70 for a while and it was a wonderful sounding machine...one of those ones I regret not having anymore.
If the new Behringer brings some of that feel back, it'll be a serious consideration for me.
Actually, this is a bit of a sanity check for me. For a long time now, I've been on an impulse buying spree- is the new Behringer synth interesting? Cool, I'll take it! But you know, I've already got an MKS-70 with PG-800 (and a Juno-106). I should really stop to consider whether this is going to give me anything new. Once the actual specs and price is announced, of course. This whole teaser approach is clearly working for them, but it's damn annoying.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”