DC offset drift removal?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been given a couple hours of dialogue which have DC offset issues that drift in and out randomly throughout the recordings. They sometimes last a couple of seconds and sometimes up to a minute.

Is there a plugin that can detect DC offsets and correct them? The only method that I can think of is to automate a high pass filter when the waveform starts to drift but it'll take forever to do.

A fixed high pass should do the trick, no need to complicate matters.

That would be too easy

Theres no other method other than a fixed or automated highpass? What if I dont want to remove any low end? (i know its mostly mud)

Set the frequency lower, hope the DC isn't too strong

Try a 12dB highpass at 10Hz and compare waveforms. If that doesn't cut it, go more drastic and try 18dB (or more) at 20 or even 30Hz. As you say it's dialogue, there is probably nothing useful in the sub frequencies so some roll off there might improve legibility as well.

The Hornet TrackUtility plugin has a simple "DC Filter" button but that cuts extreme lows, centering on 5hZ.

use the free and wonderful "engineer's filter" vst, there are some very steep filter modes eg. multipole elliptical.

and tell people about robin's generous free plugins. why is this such a struggle in 2016.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:use the free and wonderful "engineer's filter" vst, there are some very steep filter modes eg. multipole elliptical.

and tell people about robin's generous free plugins. why is this such a struggle in 2016.
+1 http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

no x64 yet though, and a few of them have bugs which have been mentioned before.

If you wanna get fancy, you could try low passing everything above 10-20Hz with a linear phase EQ (I think a regular EQ will mess with the phase too much for this to work), invert the phase and then sum with the original signal. Probably won't work as well as high passing but it will feel like you're doing more. :hihi:

SeeingInMidi wrote:I've been given a couple hours of dialogue which have DC offset issues that drift in and out randomly throughout the recordings. They sometimes last a couple of seconds and sometimes up to a minute.

Is there a plugin that can detect DC offsets and correct them? The only method that I can think of is to automate a high pass filter when the waveform starts to drift but it'll take forever to do.
Most audio editors including free ones like Audacity, has a tool for the job!

nineofkings wrote:A fixed high pass should do the trick, no need to complicate matters.
This.

Try ReaFir with a steep lowcut @ 30 Hz.

Return to “Effects”