Frosting, new freezer and microlooper plug-in

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Frosting

Since I am not a tester and did not clearly heard it in the audio examples if it's possible or not, is Frosting able to freeze audio? I mean, classic freezing and hold to create drones and static tones?

Yes the two demos are not specifically showing any feature of the plugin, we are working on those, and they should go online as soon as we're ready to move on to the next phase with the plugin.
to answer you question: feezing audio is the main point of Frosting (hence the name), though you can use it for more looper-like stuff and as a beat repeater as well, it's just a matter of setting up the plugin with the correct loop time. Smaller loops will be great for freezing a sound into a sustained drone.
Chiptune with a shot of Japan: Poka Bjorn – Wear the Happy Face

hanzo wrote:Yes the two demos are not specifically showing any feature of the plugin, we are working on those, and they should go online as soon as we're ready to move on to the next phase with the plugin.
to answer you question: feezing audio is the main point of Frosting (hence the name), though you can use it for more looper-like stuff and as a beat repeater as well, it's just a matter of setting up the plugin with the correct loop time. Smaller loops will be great for freezing a sound into a sustained drone.
:tu: :hyper:

The effect is based on an audio buffer, rather than being a spectral freeze or reverb-based. With a short loop time it's basically a granular effect, which is where you get the more drone-like effects. Depending on the source material it can be very sensitive to when you trigger the freeze, but it's also a lot more flexible than other kinds of freezes.

With replace mode and the gate sequencer you can get some fun textures and/or rhythms going on if you freeze one chord and then play another through it.

it should also be noted that we're still fine-tuning the details, especially for the more drone-oriented results that one can achieve.

Thanks foosnark, very good exaplanation. Indeed it's a microloop-based freeze effect.
Last edited by hanzo on Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Can't wait to try it!

I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Here's a quick glitch-ish chiptune-ish demo I made using Bastl Trinity XOR, a Maschine drumkit (Quartercask from Transistor Punch), and Frosting, with a bit of Valhalla Plate and some EQ/compression.

http://soundcloud.com/fallsastar/jumper

One Frosting instance on the XOR, and one on the drum group. I automated the Freeze button but left other parameters fixed. Didn't tweak or send CCs to the XOR; all its variation was from velocity response :)

Cool demo foosnark! Thanks for posting it!

Demo using a Doepfer Dark Energy / Dark Time combo processed through Frosting. No other effects used.

https://soundcloud.com/dangerousorange/ ... ing-demo-1

Any approx release date for Frosting? :)

several dry bars...then the frosting ;]
all frosting was done in realtime, no after edits (if that is not painfully obvious enough!) I didn't even map anything to midi- all triggering was done via the "f" key on my computer keyboard (as this is a default in Frosting... the "t" key allows you to "tap tempo" as well...)
manipulations on the fly were created solely via mouse on the Frosting GUI itself in realtime.

to reiterate: this is simply a very basic example of what can be done nearly instantly with Frosting

https://soundcloud.com/madder-than-you/ ... -and-drums

Any approx release date for Frosting?
We will announce something soon!

@blortblort: cool demo track, thanks!

hanzo wrote:
Any approx release date for Frosting?
We will announce something soon!
:tu: :D

Return to “Effects”