!Epoch, for the next 4 years

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've just started playing with RemixOS on a Pine64, but I'm guessing that isn't what you had in mind.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

No, it wasn't, but you have introduced me what looks like an awesome bit of kit in the PINE 64, so that's something.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

------- ?

Slow progress on this for the past week or so because I've mostly been finishing up some unreleased updates to the other Loomer products and rebuilding my build machine after iLok stopped working on my previous development system. A Sequent update will release shortly, and this behemoth will once again get my full focus.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Thank you for keeping us updated. Good luck with your rebuilt build machine!
Great to hear that a Sequent update is coming because I've been a Sequent user for many years. But I'm also very keen on what all the fuss is about this mega machine that you're working on. :)

colin@loomer wrote:Slow progress on this for the past week or so because I've mostly been finishing up some unreleased updates to the other Loomer products and rebuilding my build machine after iLok stopped working on my previous development system. A Sequent update will release shortly, and this behemoth will once again get my full focus.
Postby colin@loomer; Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:49 am
Re: (the product formerly known as) Epoch
That's correct, I'm quietly pushing on with these last tweaks. (Although I must admit the past few days I have been distracted by some updates for the other Loomer plug-ins, which I am aiming to get out at some point next week. No rest for the wicked!)
this is nuts. you keep saying the same thing. still interested to see video of this thing running, in any state of completion.

I did, and that was shortly before I released some significant updates for Manifold and Resound. This beast is still the main focus of my attention, but I do try to balance expected updates to the other product lines.

colin@loomer wrote:I did, and that was shortly before I released updates for Manifold and Resound.
You released a video? or updates to your plugins? I'm not saying you don't work on your plugins.

this is your first post from the last thread:
Postby colin@loomer; Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:22 pm

And you'd be right. I've a number of smaller updates to release during the next few weeks, beginning with a minor Aspect update mid-week (provided QA doesn't reveal any nasty bugs.) Sometime soon after that, I'd like to publicly reveal the next product: I've just got the small matter of actually finishing it off first!
here's your 2nd to last post from this thread:
Slow progress on this for the past week or so because I've mostly been finishing up some unreleased updates to the other Loomer products and rebuilding my build machine after iLok stopped working on my previous development system. A Sequent update will release shortly, and this behemoth will once again get my full focus.
from a civilian perspective it doesn't look like there has been any progress since you started.

I can assure you there has been plenty of progress, but in truth the product it was going to be originally is a far cry from where it's ended up. It's got the same spark at it's centre from that original design, but it's now a vastly different beast. It went from being a step-sequencer with modular options to being something that can be considered a full programming language, albeit one focussed entirely on MIDI processing. I appreciate that it's taken a long time, but it is a huge project: it's like Ableton, plus MAX, plus a UI designer; it's a plug-in as well as a host; it runs in more than ten different formats, on three different operations systems. It does a lot, and I think it does it well, but unfortunately the downside is that being a small team - mainly just me when it comes to coding - it's taken a long while to get there.

But there isn't a single thing currently in there of which I'm not convinced was worth the extra development time. I'd feel differently if this were a Kickstarter'd product, or if anyone had coughed up a pre-order; but it isn't, and they haven't. The options have always have been: release early, or get it right. And in my mind, the second choice always wins out; and if that means some people are frustrated that it isn't here yet, then I'm very sorry, but as the person who has to support this long-term, I'd rather be supporting the product at it's best.

(Sorry if that sounded slightly aggressive grinzler; I appreciate you're eager to get this, and I too wish that I could release it this second, but it's just not quite ready.)

It sounds more frustrated than aggressive, do it once do it right ;)
I still think it will need audio tracks at some point though, like it or not i am pretty sure this is turning in to a full fledged performance DAW !!
Duh

It's easy to produce a wall of technical text but difficult to produce video of an imaginary program running. You got us interested, hooked us with pictures, led us with promises, baited us with details and repeatedly made excuses. I've got a project too that's like immortality, flying powers and a never ending gift certificate to olive garden, it's pretty amazing and going to change the world but first I must perfect my grilled cheese sandwich recipe. What concerns me the most is none of your other plugins have the kind of sophistication that you're describing with this new project. If you had illustrated a high level of sophistication with your other plugins it would be easier to swallow but they are pretty basic and in that position I believe most people working on something this much of an evolution compared to their previous work, would be proud to publicize the development process in detail (like over coffee in the morning once a week or such). Especially when you are asking for so much patience.

grinzler wrote:It's easy to produce a wall of technical text but difficult to produce video of an imaginary program running. You got us interested, hooked us with pictures, led us with promises, baited us with details and repeatedly made excuses. I've got a project too that's like immortality, flying powers and a never ending gift certificate to olive garden, it's pretty amazing and going to change the world but first I must perfect my grilled cheese sandwich recipe. What concerns me the most is none of your other plugins have the kind of sophistication that you're describing with this new project. If you had illustrated a high level of sophistication with your other plugins it would be easier to swallow but they are pretty basic and in that position I believe most people working on something this much of an evolution compared to their previous work, would be proud to publicize the development process in detail (like over coffee in the morning once a week or such). Especially when you are asking for so much patience.
You know as I am reading this, as well as your previous statements, I am sensing a lot of egotistical thinking.
I know you will reply in a way that uses logic to disprove that and tries to put me down at the same time, but look around, it's you who is acting as if you are entitled, not anyone else. It's you who is acting as if you deserve this to be in your hands when you say, not when the creator says.

Did you never learn that there are also people in this world who work quietly, not publicizing their works during the development process.
Have you grown so accustomed to the current way, in which others display their works to build hype, a movement and thus secure money, that in your mind, everyone else must follow this same template?

You use the word "proud". Pride can be your downfall Mr. Grinzler.

We wonder, what is this world dominating masterpiece of music that relies upon the speedy release of Colin's product, and if we indeed shall hear it when the product comes out... Cannot other tools do the job at the moment and perhaps lead you in new creative directions, from the mere challenge alone?

The simple fact that the man mentioned, that he is a one man team, should have humbled you, but it's as if you completely forgot you are speaking to another human being there, and treated them as your staff, to boss around. He is not on your payroll and even if he was, your attitude would have still been wrong!
Last edited by HunterKiller on Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

HunterKiller wrote: but it's as if you completely forgot you are speaking to another human being there, and treated them as your staff, to boss around. He is not on your payroll and even if he was, your attitude would have still been wrong!

:tu:

Thanks for the kind words guys; much appreciated.

grinzler wrote:It's easy to produce a wall of technical text but difficult to produce video of an imaginary program running. You got us interested, hooked us with pictures, led us with promises, baited us with details and repeatedly made excuses. I've got a project too that's like immortality, flying powers and a never ending gift certificate to olive garden, it's pretty amazing and going to change the world but first I must perfect my grilled cheese sandwich recipe. What concerns me the most is none of your other plugins have the kind of sophistication that you're describing with this new project. If you had illustrated a high level of sophistication with your other plugins it would be easier to swallow but they are pretty basic and in that position I believe most people working on something this much of an evolution compared to their previous work, would be proud to publicize the development process in detail (like over coffee in the morning once a week or such). Especially when you are asking for so much patience.
I find this rant a bit disgusting...even for KVR.

Return to “Loomer”