Does one of you work with a 1366x768 or similar resolution?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's the maximum resolution of my laptop, but, frankly, every audio app seems to be optimized for a higher resolution. In Cubase, i can't scroll in the inspector, i gotta resize windows to make them fit, save or load dialogs are displayed so that i can't click on the buttons at the bottom, so i have to resize those too. Plugin windows are on the edge, some are too big to display, but most are okay it seems. In Wavelab Elements 9 i can display the program window full screen, which makes the Windows task bar disappear, which is of course a nice thing, still it feels kind of clinched, and looks like it was meant for at least 1920x1080. :)

What's your experience? You work with a laptop, or a display which has a lower resolution? Do your DAW's and audio apps work fine? It's not impossible to work with those here, it's just that it seems that everything is meant to be used with a higher resolution these days, which is of course fair enough, because, it has a lot of advantages to work with higher resolutions.

I also have in use a laptop with such resolution.

My solution when dealing with plugs that require more, like z3ta+2, is to attach a second monitor with better resolution.

Good idea. Actually i have a spare one in another room i could attach to it. It's only 5:4, but better than having GUI's cut off...

Between 13" 1280x800 and 21.5" 1920x1080 here, to tell you sincerely, quite like the laptop, closer, more focused, stuff in your face sometimes, Logic 9 is actually made to work good on these small screens and for laptop use, had a chance before to work on bigger screen with it, well, it's not bad, but it's not better either.

But yeah, would be annoyed with plugins that can be centered on my display, don't have any of those, biggest one fits nicely as I recall, these days messing little on desktop PC with Bitwig and it's cool and all, first few days I felt somebody lifted stones from my back, but now after getting used to it, well, I'm really into small one, there's small cute Bitwig, adorable. :oops: :lol:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I can imagine that Logic works fine with such resolutions, afaik, some of the older Macbooks had such resolutions. Reason is another DAW which comes to mind when talking about DAW's which are optimized, or at least well suited for laptop use, also with lower resolutions.

Actually the laptop i'm talking about here is quite a cheapo thing, i3 processor with 1.7 GHz, and 4 GB Ram. But it somehow itches me to see how well i could do music, and fiddle with soft synths on this thing. Might have to freeze a lot though, i remember playing a Spire patch once, which alone took half of the processing power. :D Anyway, i'm sure i could use at least a couple of instances without problems with not so hefty pad patches. Now that i have a USB audio interface, i don't have to rely on the crappy omboard sound chip as well, which is nice. Think i'll do some comparisons, and see which soft synth is the most efficient on a limited system. :) (i have a feeling that Sylenth1 and Electra2 will take the price)

chk071 wrote:Actually the laptop i'm talking about here is quite a cheapo thing, i3 processor with 1.7 GHz, and 4 GB Ram.
Prepare to be shocked :hihi:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m ... specs.html

Just warms my heart somehow, it's weird, whitey as i call it, so much good memories and quite frankly, never imagined piece of hardware or software can bring me any joy, but as time passes by, started appreciating dear memories and re-living them somehow. :help:
Think i'll do some comparisons, and see which soft synth is the most efficient on a limited system.
ES2 is here, Sylenth is very close, there's simpler stuff that uses less of course, but usage vs. capability ratio, that's kinda sweet spot. 8)

Logic stock stuff is really low on CPU, so using as much stock stuff as I can, on my joy, it covers me plenty.

Expect to hear report/finding about your own king slim synth. :lol:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

chk071 wrote:I can imagine that Logic works fine with such resolutions, afaik, some of the older Macbooks had such resolutions.
All computere was having such resolution. So all DAW should work according to your logic..... :?

tooneba wrote:
chk071 wrote:I can imagine that Logic works fine with such resolutions, afaik, some of the older Macbooks had such resolutions.
All computere was having such resolution. So all DAW should work according to your logic..... :?
Think he meant it was made especially to work on them and in that times, because new Logic X is made to take advantage of retina ones and guess more and more developers are heading in that direction with newer versions, which is quite natural turn of events and guess that same observation is the reason he started this thread in first place.

I work in 1280 x 1024 on a 23'' PC monitor due to my eyesight.

Never had display problems with plugins or DAW's (Mulab, Tracktion, Reaper)

Yeah, i guess the problem is the vertical resolution. As 1920x1080 is considered the "standard", most, if not all GUI's will fit, but, 768 is sub standard, so there's a problem with some GUI's. Anyway, need to test more, as far as i can see, there's only a couple of synths which fail to fit on the screen, even with 1366x768.

chk071 wrote:there's only a couple of synths which fail to fit on the screen, even with 1366x768.
Overall don't like those even on 1920x1080, that's one of the reasons Hive never got me even if he is fitting on the screen, it's big overall with smaller elements (knobs, sliders, buttons and etc), if you make it smaller it's even worse, Spire smaller by default on other hand with bigger and clearer elements.

Yeah. I guess the advantage of having all the controls on one page always comes at the expense of having a bit of a busy GUI. And while you have tabs, or pages on others, they feel more tidy, simply because there's not so much going on on the screen.

chk071 wrote:Yeah. I guess the advantage of having all the controls on one page always comes at the expense of having a bit of a busy GUI. And while you have tabs, or pages on others, they feel more tidy, simply because there's not so much going on on the screen.
Exactly. :tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”