Vengeance Producer Suite - AVENGER - 1.8.5 the main thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VPS Avenger

Please, no optimizations at the expense of sound quality! (or please consider adding a draft more for the cases the CPU hit is intolerable)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:Please, no optimizations at the expense of sound quality! (or please consider adding a draft more for the cases the CPU hit is intolerable)
Diva solved this with three types of quality.

Please, no optimizations at the expense of sound quality!
no! good that we have the same opinion about this :)
I hope we wont have such an extreme CPU consumption in the end, to make 3 modes neccessary. I am very optimistic we will only need 1 mode: "great sounding" :)

But you will need a modern computer with multiple cores, thats for sure

tristan- wrote:
recursive one wrote:Please, no optimizations at the expense of sound quality! (or please consider adding a draft more for the cases the CPU hit is intolerable)
Frankly, if no exact circuit modelling is involved it will neither - use as much CPU, or - need optimizations in expense of sound quality. Waldorf Nave for example, according to the dev, doesn't do any circuit modelling, hence, even on an iPad is very moderate on ressources, and sounds nicely. TBH, i believe that people are quite mislead by devs who claim you can reach a certain sound "quality" only to expenses of the CPU. The way i understand maths and coding, there's so much more possible than simply doing circuit modelling, and burning the CPU trying to have any detail you could imagine to emulate analog behavior as close as possible. Spire, Sylenth1, Dune 2 and others show that it doesn't have to be that way. At least if you're not into every bit of tiny detail of a Moog ladder filter, for example. But why would that be, if the synth, like in this case, is not meant to be a perfect emulation of anything.

Good luck with that buddy. The masses don't care about character. They have grown up on iPhone sound. It's now a quantity over quality world.

chk071 wrote:
tristan- wrote:
Frankly, if no exact circuit modelling is involved it will neither - use as much CPU, or - need optimizations in expense of sound quality. Waldorf Nave for example, according to the dev, doesn't do any circuit modelling, hence, even on an iPad is very moderate on ressources, and sounds nicely. TBH, i believe that people are quite mislead by devs who claim you can reach a certain sound "quality" only to expenses of the CPU. The way i understand maths and coding, there's so much more possible than simply doing circuit modelling, and burning the CPU trying to have any detail you could imagine to emulate analog behavior as close as possible. Spire, Sylenth1, Dune 2 and others show that it doesn't have to be that way. At least if you're not into every bit of tiny detail of a Moog ladder filter, for example. But why would that be, if the synth, like in this case, is not meant to be a perfect emulation of anything.
Serum, Bazille or Diversion don't model anything, yet they have very impressive CPU hit. I guess, where you need a really precise waveform shaping, controllable in realtime and free from bad sounding artefacts, you can't avoid CPU-eating algos. Icarus is an exception of that rule, but I feel its sound is compromissed somehow, it doesn't sound as clean and harmonically rich as Spire or Diversion.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Dasheesh wrote:
Good luck with that buddy. The masses don't care about character. They have grown up on iPhone sound. It's now a quantity over quality world.
Huh? Character /= quality. And what does the iPhone have to do with the situation of software synthesizer instruments? Obviously, no software synthesizer developer will want to go for an iPhone like degradation of his sound engine, to make the plugin as ressource friendly as possible.

recursive one wrote: Serum, Bazille or Diversion don't model anything, yet they have very impressive CPU hit.
Bazille does circuit modelling. Diversion has zero delay feedback filters, as far as i know, and the aim was to not compromise sound quality, although, in its case, that means literally slaughtering the CPU, for even trivial tasks like playing a pure, one oscillator sine wave, without any modulation going on. Anyway, i don't want to compare Diversion now, because the concept seems somehow different to that of other synths. But Bazille definitely is circuit modelled, like any u-he synth. And Serum is a wavetable synth, and wavetable synths are know to be more on the CPU expensive side, as far as i read.

A good example for a synth, which doesn't need too many ressources for very good sound quality would be Spire for me, and also a good example of how efficient optimization can be, considering it takes about 1/3 of CPU it used to do in pre-1.1 versions. Anyway, i can't imagine Avenger is actually circuit modelled for each of its sound generating parts, so...

This really looks amazing - the features are as good as I hoped.
Black Octopus Sound | Samples & Presets | VST Plugins & Software (Diva, Harmor, Spire, FL Studio, IK Multimedia & more)

chk071 wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:
Huh? Character /= quality. And what does the iPhone have to do with the situation of software synthesizer instruments? Obviously, no software synthesizer developer will want to go for an iPhone like degradation of his sound engine, to make the plugin as ressource friendly as possible.

Quality and character are two different things in the software world. You can have really boring sounding basic filter @ 4 times oversampling or at a really high QUALITY of sound, 64 bit internal processing for instance, and everyone will eat it up. Or you can have a great musical CHARACTER filter or sound at a lower QUALITY and people will not recognize the musicality of it. Because no-one cares, and no-one is listening, and everyones' ears have been tuned to the digital mp3 listening experience. It's because we don't have a quality delivery vessel to the listener anymore. It's because the music has been formalized into an algorithm and no longer a musical experience. It's because we live in a media driven artificial world where people can no longer decipher reality from virtual reality. It's because the information age has created a world of forced fed media in which everyone now does what they are told in order to be a part of the borg like society we have created. because this media is now no more than a constant soundtrack to our imaginary movie existence.

Is an apocalyptic sound to illustrate your reply would take too much of CPU power or it's better to just forget about making it right away?

fulltext preset search through available libraries please? :)

What about copy protection? Hopefully no dongles or something like that...

John Culter wrote:fulltext preset search through available libraries please? :)
yes... + the tag based search
HcDoom wrote:What about copy protection? Hopefully no dongles or something like that...
we are currently discussing the pros and cons about a dongle protection

Dongle would be better than CR by miles, having just had to reauthorise all my CR plugins after a mobo change (one of which took several days to get authorised) - the dongled ones were up and running instantly.

Return to “Instruments”