Behringer Analog Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shabdahbriah wrote:
Daags wrote:
bungle wrote:I wouldnt expect anything soon, Uli Behringer said yesterday at GS that the designers where still adding things as he spoke, that is not an imminent release.

link/quote please ?

not to the thread itself... but the post ... cheers.
Three days ago:
The synthesizer was initially considered a pure "labor of love" project as we had no commercial aspirations. However what was considered a simple synth project, got completely out of hand and sound capabilities plus features got added on a weekly basis.
People constantly heard me say: "Pete, we got to stop this now", but you can imagine that it had little impact and the team kept on adding and adding. I can't even remember how many front panel design iterations we went through and I believe the guys are still adding more features as we speak - of course without telling me :-). [...] The response for this synth has been so overwhelming that we have decided to establish a comprehensive Synthesizer Division. We are currently hiring 30 engineers and product managers in the UK and Canada; feel free to apply.

Please share with us what synths, drum machines, samplers etc. or features you like to have. Be assured we will carefully listen.

Uli

Thanks alot Shabdahbriah!
It is not a super definitive ... we could take it to mean firmware features.

Checking out the artist's rendition of the features revealed so far in the teasers ... you can see there is a data entry fader beside the display. Which suggests to me some kind of digital brain, which subsequently suggests to me that this thing will be getting firmware updates and the like.

Not sure why else there would be a data entry fader beside a display ...

just trying to stay optimistic here about what I would call an imminent release.

unrelated to adding features, but on the topic of the image also notice the 'layer' button, I guess that gives hope for any bi/multitimbral hopes.

and the preset buttons like 'bank' 'compare 'write' go some way to that end as well ... if you can write and compare presets, and there's a layer button ... well it's certainly looking hopeful on that front.

While I think this teaser campaign has been a little mean to those of us hoping for a cheap minilogue competitor, I must admit this is very exciting. So far I see no waveforms selection for the second dco but an edit botton instead, which I guess you either have to push to switch the wave selector to the second dco or will reveal more waveforms under the hood. Still excited by the "tone mod", a width controller, drive/distortion unit or just an eq? Also wonder whether the unknown parameter to the right of dco 2 is a sub? Twelwe voices with three oscs each (2 main and a sub) are maybe too much to ask, but it is crucial if people want to emulate a wider range of Juno sounds or will be "restricted" to JX like sounds only. I am a synth bass maniac myself, so a three osc structure would make a world of difference as far as fat deep bass sounds concern.

For big analog basses, it's usually better to use a single oscillator with an outboard subharmonic synthesizer, that way you avoid phase issues. The exception to this is a phase-locked sub oscillator, such as with the Minitaur.

One of the best bass synths I've ever used is the single oscillator MicroMoog.

Having seen that image, my interest has dropped to around 5%...

Uncle E wrote:For big analog basses, it's usually better to use a single oscillator with an outboard subharmonic synthesizer, that way you avoid phase issues. The exception to this is a phase-locked sub oscillator, such as with the Minitaur.

One of the best bass synths I've ever used is the single oscillator MicroMoog.
Not sure I follow. I usually don't have phase problems at all. If split in three octaves, I don't hear any phase issues. If layered with a sub, just layer with different waveforms e.g. A saw + a square just like the Juno 106. If layered with the same waveform + a sub, simply detune them until the phase is pleasant. If synced, well the phase is deliberate :shrug:

BTW: To my knowlegde most subs are phase locked and not free running.

IncarnateX wrote:While I think this teaser campaign has been a little mean to those of us hoping for a cheap minilogue competitor, I must admit this is very exciting. So far I see no waveforms selection for the second dco but an edit botton instead, which I guess you either have to push to switch the wave selector to the second dco or will reveal more waveforms under the hood. Still excited by the "tone mod", a width controller, drive/distortion unit or just an eq? Also wonder whether the unknown parameter to the right of dco 2 is a sub? Twelwe voices with three oscs each (2 main and a sub) are maybe too much to ask, but it is crucial if people want to emulate a wider range of Juno sounds or will be "restricted" to JX like sounds only. I am a synth bass maniac myself, so a three osc structure would make a world of difference as far as fat deep bass sounds concern.
Ive been sitting here wondering about the ??? that are left...

the section next poly, must be filter... freq, res, env amount? balance if > 1 filter?
is the filter envelope (surely we have one?), doubled up on the envelope sliders?
more than 1 filter? filter types?

what goes in the next section between filter(?) and vca(?)
(I guess buttons below it and the vca are 2 more edit buttons and also another edit under envelope for 'advanced features' (slopes, lin/exp etc)

also 'gate time' , does this imply sequencer/arp... other slider rate? (seems possibly as it has a digital brain)
(buttons far right, octave up/down?) , at least one edit underneath.

dials/button next to keyboard, possibly glide? but hopefully assignable.

slider next to master display? master output? Id assume we need one somewhere fairly accessible.

is there anything else 'obviously' missing from the currently labelled controls...

I guess we can assume some kind of mod matrix in the display, given (at least) LFOs need targets

definitely looking promising, and a nice size... i 'need' an analog synth, and this is shaping up nicely.
... of course, the devils in the details, and also the quality of the build. hoping they get this right :pray:

rod_zero wrote:There is some info about an Uk presentation on august 20. Not so far away.
Yeah, it's been shown at the Leeds Modular meetup on august 20th https://www.facebook.com/events/1612487969041571/

mentioned on muff wiggler
BlueWolfSe7en

Myself & Ben Hex have had hands on & it's very good.
Lovely bunch of chaps in Manchester developing this & yes owning Midas & T.C. Is making an impact!
First UK public showing will be at the Leeds Modular Meet on Aug 20.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=157846

Think this will surprise a few people!

Get over to Leeds to check it out, play with modular, eat drink & be merry hihi
Which makes sense since midas is manchester based.

thetechnobear wrote:the section next poly, must be filter... freq, res, env amount? balance if > 1 filter?
If it was Juno structured the answer would be freq, res, env, lfo (but which one?) and keyboard tracking. The Junos also have a (stepped) high pass filter and that could be the slider to the right of the filter section. The edit bottons below the lfos could suggest anything from just lfo waveform selectors to a deeper modulation matrix (though we haven't seen a digital display yet, that could support this view).

For the rest: Bloody good questions! Let's speculate our asses off and hopefully pile up some funny "duhs", when further info slips into cypespace.

Now that we know it has 12 voices (24 DCOs, 24 LFOs, 12 VCFs), and have a pretty good idea how it will look, I will guess this will be in the $800-$1000 ballpark. That’s a bit low, but Behringer is famous for underselling the competition, but, at the same time, it has a lot the Minilogue doesn’t (Three times as many voices, one more LFO per voice, full sized keys, and unconfirmed rumors of built-in digital effects courtesy Behringer’s buy-out of TC Electronic)
Sam Trenholme — Software developer, electronic musician — Listen to my music: http://caulixtla.com/music

caulixtla wrote:Now that we know it has 12 voices (24 DCOs, 24 LFOs, 12 VCFs)
Probably just 1 or 2 LFO's, it doesn't need dedicated LFO's for each oscillator.
it has a lot the Minilogue doesn’t (Three times as many voices, one more LFO per voice, full sized keys, and unconfirmed rumors of built-in digital effects courtesy Behringer’s buy-out of TC Electronic)
Minilogue is VCO's. I'm guessing the effects will probably be the multi-processor chips that are found in Behringer and Midas mixers, which will be more than adequate.

I think the price will be a little higher than some of the estimates so far. Not DSI pricing, but this isn't going to compete with the Minilogue either. Just because Behringer has been known for cheap gear doesn't mean that their first foray into synths will be bargain basement. I'd probably price this in the $1,200-1,500 range, and it might even be a little higher than that.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Uncle E wrote:
caulixtla wrote:Now that we know it has 12 voices (24 DCOs, 24 LFOs, 12 VCFs)
Probably just 1 or 2 LFO's, it doesn't need dedicated LFO's for each oscillator.
True. However, Minilogue got a lfo pr. voice, which can be used to create very organic pads, when they are not voice synced. Maybe this would be too expensive a solution in this case, but then again, Behringer keeps surprising us with this one.

Price below 1000€ seems a miracle at this point, but one can always hope.

IncarnateX wrote:True. However, Minilogue got a lfo pr. voice, which can be used to create very organic pads, when they are not voice synced.
I see, that's interesting! Yes, that seems like it'd be excellent for pads.

Uncle E wrote:Probably just 1 or 2 LFO's, it doesn't need dedicated LFO's for each oscillator.
Nope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YIsA_-iPMs
@0:25
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

are you referring to the guy saying 'each note tracking a different lfo rate' bit ?

if so, that's not the same as saying there is a unique lfo per voice or per oscillator.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”