-Double Saw oscillators
-Note-on sync
-Filters switchable between LP and HP
-Envelope stages
-EQ
-extra sinus wave can also be triangle
-oscillator square wave can be turned into saw

List complete?
Last edited by Chris-S on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Gunnare,
many thanks for the quick delivery of the download links. :tu:

do you know if the square and saw generators within one voice are phase sync'd in the original CS80?

In your init preset #127 (which should IMHO try to be close to the CS80) the square is detuned a lot.

Some suggestions:

- User manual should be updated to 2.2. Yesterday I was trying for hours to get footswitch CC65 working before reading somewhere in the forums that CC65 is no longer supported... ;)

- The CS80 synthline preset buttons should be the same for all ME80 presets.

Chris-S wrote:
do you know if the square and saw generators within one voice are phase sync'd in the original CS80?

In your init preset #127 (which should IMHO try to be close to the CS80) the square is detuned a lot.
Yes, they are phase synced in the original CS80. I prefer not synced in my patches. That gives more life to the sound.

Yes, square is detuned a lot. I did a mistake. I always set detuning zero at lowest slider position. The programmer set zero to middle position to allow both negative and positive detuning. (A change from verion 1.2) I set square detuning and double saw detuning to -100 by mistake. If you set those sliders to middle position it is solved. (Drift page.).

all the best
gunnare

Chris-S wrote:Some suggestions:

- User manual should be updated to 2.2. Yesterday I was trying for hours to get footswitch CC65 working before reading somewhere in the forums that CC65 is no longer supported... ;)

- The CS80 synthline preset buttons should be the same for all ME80 presets.
Yes, the manual is outdated.
We spent a lot of time to get the pedals working like the original in the 2.0 verison. I would guess that nobody will ever use those extra pedal options. You can use the sustain pedal in the normal way, or use it to switch poramento off/on , or to switch release (Sustain in Yamaha language) off/on.

In lower left corner of the GUI:
Foot switch portamento off/on
Foot switch sustain off/on.

Foot switch is sustain pedal CC 64.
Expression is CC11.

There are selectors to let expression pedal control Wah, or Exp or both exp+wah.
Wah is a seperate filter with high resonance. Wah will sweep the frequency.
Next to the exp+wah selector is a level knob that monitors the exp action. You can right click it to select another CC number than 11. So you can for instance control expression with mod wheel cc1 or the most used cc number for masterkeyboard sliders: CC74.

All the best
gunnare

Chris-S wrote:Some suggestions:
The CS80 synthline preset buttons should be the same for all 128ME80 factory patches
I hope the synthline presets are the same in all factory patches. A single patch will store all Yamaha synthline presets independeltly. There can be trouble when I submit user patches to the factory bank. Often the user have messed with the synthline presets, and I have to restore them. Synthline presets can be changed by the user, and they will be stored when you store a patch. This is useful if you want to use the morph function and morph between your own synthline presets. There will be a click when you morph between different filter configurations, or oscillator settings. So I recommend that you only morph between synthline presets that has the same oscillator settings. Typically there will be a click in the middle of the morph when you cange from saw to square.

All the best
gunnare

gunnare I would like to get ME80. But before I do, will all those little mistakes you talked above be fixed, along with a new manual?
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

gunnare wrote: I hope the synthline presets are the same in all factory patches.
Check e.g. patch 43 RG50s sci fi monster.
All buttons have the same synthline settings.

Hi,

I'm considering to buy ME80 , I use Cubase Pro 8.5 on Windows 8.1, and will be using the ME80 as a VST-64-bit Instrument.

Any issues I should be aware of, should I wait for anything to be sorted out, or is it running very nicely, and solid on a similar systems to mine ?

Just wanted to double check before buying, and where can I listen to more audio demos of the latest version ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Hi Muziksculp,
you can try the latest demo version (2.1) from the memorymoon website.

There should be no major issues.

It's a very solid synth.

Concerning the manual: I suggest to also read the original yamaha manual which gives a lot of infos.
http://www.cyborgstudio.com/synthmp3s/y ... manual.pdf

Hi Gunnare,
I bought ME80 (2.2) few months ago and I’m really happy with it. But a VSTI/AU without presets manager is a source of inconvenient. As a Mac user, I use the AU version with Logic, and you know what, fxb/fxp format is not recognized with Mac AU version (Logic, GarageBand....). Only single files (*.aupreset suffix) are recognized. So I cannot import fxb.
I’ve seen that the AU presets (fxp equivalents) are individually contained in the Resources folder of the ME80 AU package. A simple copy/paste to the presets folder of Logic is useful to more easily manage the factory presets ; and naturally, I can also save my own presets. But I don’t know how to convert/import other presets with fxb format, like "ME80v2_extra.FXB" and other banks available for VST users.
Perhaps aupresets folders of these fxb files would make some people happy (including me). But a real preset manager would be even better.

I have also some other questions and requests :
- First, an Unison mode. Yes, I know : " I do get a lot of requests like: More LFOs, Unison mode, Pattern and arpeggiators. If I said yes to all the requests it would not be a Yamaha CS80 anymore " - Gunnar
So why? First because it is cool, but mainly because this mod exists for the real thing (Cascade Unison Mod).
- The Scott Kane big skin is great, but please, a more white keyboard (for now too gray, in my opinion)
- A more gradual distortion effect, if possible.
- The possibility of a more “standard” down pitchbend mode (1 tone, 1 octave)
- A more complete and up to date manual.
- Why 3 buttons Wah/Exp (push-pull buttons would be better, and for instance third button for a future unison mode) ?
- With modern computers, is ecomode really useful?
- Is Keyboard Bend really useful? (I don't understand the wheel button).

That’s all (for the moment), thanks for reading me, and encore bravo for this superb achievement.

(NB : made with a little help from my friend, Google Translate)
Last edited by D.J. on Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris-S wrote:Hi Muziksculp,
you can try the latest demo version (2.1) from the memorymoon website.

There should be no major issues.

It's a very solid synth.

Concerning the manual: I suggest to also read the original yamaha manual which gives a lot of infos.
http://www.cyborgstudio.com/synthmp3s/y ... manual.pdf
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, going through the original CS80 pdf manual should be helpful, and nostalgic too. 8)

D.J. wrote:Hi Gunnare,
I bought ME80 (2.2) few months ago and I’m really happy with it. But a VSTI/AU without presets manager is a source of inconvenient. As a Mac user, I use the AU version with Logic, and you know what, fxb/fxp format is not recognized with Mac AU version (Logic, GarageBand....). Only single files (*.aupreset suffix) are recognized. So I cannot import fxb.
I’ve seen that the AU presets (fxp equivalents) are individually contained in the Resources folder of the ME80 AU package. A simple copy/paste to the presets folder of Logic is useful to more easily manage the factory presets ; and naturally, I can also save my own presets. But I don’t know how to convert/import other presets with fxb format, like "ME80v2_extra.FXB" and other banks available for VST users.
Perhaps aupresets folders of these fxb files would make some people happy (including me). But a real preset manager would be even better.

I have also some other questions and requests :
- First, an Unison mode. Yes, I know : " I do get a lot of requests like: More LFOs, Unison mode, Pattern and arpeggiators. If I said yes to all the requests it would not be a Yamaha CS80 anymore " - Gunnar
So why? First because it is cool, but mainly because this mod exists for the real thing (Cascade Unison Mod).
- The Scott Kane big skin is great, but please, a more white keyboard (for now too gray, in my opinion)
- A more gradual distortion effect, if possible.
- The possibility of a more “standard” down pitchbend mode (1 tone, 1 octave)
- A more complete and up to date manual.
- Why 3 buttons Wah/Exp (push-pull buttons would be better, and for instance third button for a future unison mode) ?
- With modern computers, is ecomode really useful?
- Is Keyboard Bend really useful? (I don't understand the wheel button).

That’s all (for the moment), thanks for reading me, and encore bravo for this superb achievement.

(NB : made with a little help from my friend, Google Translate)
I am working with this suggestion now. Kent Spong has confirmed that there was a common unison modification to the CS80. I wonder how does the Unison cascade mod work? Do the envelopes retrigger, or is it mono legato?

For more gradual Distortion gain slider: I dont think we can do this. It would break compability to old patches. To do finer changer please hold down CTRL . CTRL + shift will do even finer adjustments.

I agree about the ribbon range knob.

All the best
gunnare

Great news gunnare.

Can one pitch up/down from the lowest/highest note on the keyboard to the highest/lowest note using the ribbon?

I want to do that, not just one octave, I want to go through all the octaves, from the very bottom to the very top and reverse.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

I am not sure what that means.
It is not so easy , because the ME80 and CS80 is in linear (v/hz) mode. So it is not like 1v= 1 octave.

To me it seems like with minimum ribbon range it will do:
2 semitones up
and down it is unchanged (same as with full range: Down to 0hz).

I think it is the downward minimum range that we will have to adjust.

And the request about initialize squares beeing detuned. Fixed. I made a new initialize patch in the new factorybank.

And the patches that did not have all Yamaha presets. I investigated and found these patches:
RG 50s SCI-Fi monster
RG Eoin 3
RG Low effect pad
RG Manic Genie high
RG up and down.
RG Atonal 1

I only replaced one of them so far in the new factory bank, but I might replace all of them. It is easier to replace the patches with new ones. The Yamaha patches must be recreated by hand, one by one.

All the best
gunnare

Return to “Instruments”