can bios in raid mode hurt performance ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Or should I use ACHI insteadt ?

(Whant to use intel rapid technology)
HM

Which RAID mode? Its mainly for data integrity but only if you have 2 or more drives. It can be used to double speed but again you need 2 drives. AHCI is what you want really.

,Hi, got Samsung 950 Pro for OS and now whant to ad a 3 TB WD for samples with a 128 GB SSD coupled as cache for this3TB by using Intels Rapid-technology, but raid-mode in bios is required for this
HM

They should both go on their own SATA cable. Don't you have enough SATA sockets? Using the RAID chipset for the extra SATA might be ok but youll need to add RAID driver. You shoudnt need RAID if you have spare SATA sockets.

UltraJv wrote:They should both go on their own SATA cable. Don't you have enough SATA sockets? Using the RAID chipset for the extra SATA might be ok but youll need to add RAID driver. You shoudnt need RAID if you have spare SATA sockets.
Genneral raid-mode in bios, in opposition to ACHI, (not in the sence "raid-0" or "raid-1" or "raid-5" etc etc)

I have plenty of sockets, there is 6, and I only need 4 or 5 max

Now that I got Samsung 950 Pro for OS, I want to ad my 3TB for samples, but I whant it paired with a 128
GB SSD that will function as cache for the 3 TB, (just like Seagate has cache in their hybrid drives).

Intel allows this in my Z97 chipset, its called "Rapid Storage Technology", you can use it for normal raid,
but you can also set up a SSD as cache for a HD, like I intend, but in all cases it requires the default "ACHI"-
mode setting in Bios to be Changed to "Raid", the system is explained here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... ology.html

All I try to figure out is if this general "bios-raid-mode" will hurt my DAW/CPU-performance, becourse that
obviously the main-CPU is used to a certain degree

If there is a problem using intels rapid-technology I just need to change my plans, but I need to know the answer before I can install my OS, becourse the OS got to be installed with the bios in correct mode from
the start, otherwise it will be a terrible mess

I am a little under pressure becourse I need to fix it ASAP to get the free W10 upgrade before 2 days
HM

In that case why not just do a normal install (AHCI mode) to allow you time to run all the updates, and then do the Windows 10 upgrade. The chances are, you will want to do a clean install of Windows 10 anyway for best performance, and this can be done once your upgraded Windows 10 install is activated.

I'll have to admit I've never used Intel Smart Response, which is the part of Intel Rapid Storage Technology you are talking about here. However from reading the manual on my own motherboard about it, it looks like it can be configured after installing the OS. For avoidance of doubt, although you need the SATA controllers to be set to RAID mode, you do not need to have a RAID array (a single volume of multiple disks) to use Smart Response. The minimum requirements are a single HDD and an SSD.

My mobo has a utility from Gigabyte called "EZ Smart Response" which is geared toward setting up this feature after the OS is installed.

Apologies I don't know what, if any, effect it will have on performance in the scenario you are talking about. I guess you will have to try it and find out. The tests I have seen don't suggest it has any really significant CPU overhead though.

I think the point is - there wont be any benefit. Not worth the risk.

I tend to agree. If you do want to do it though, it's certainly wise to keep a full image backup of your system before you start experimenting.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”