Which copy protection scheme do you prefer?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Which copy protection scheme do you prefer?

Dongle
11%
Software licensing centre
4%
Software ilock/e-licenser
2%
C/R
1%
Serial
32%
Keyfile
25%
Download package created individually for each customer
13%
Other
1%
I use only free software
2%
I'm Kanye West
8%

Total votes: 148

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, it's part of participating in a forum :shrug:

Anybody wanting a conversation can use PM's

As i said, inability to distinguish between fact and personal opinion. 'nuff said. :)

I'm happy to see this happening not in the Vengeance synth thread. Thank you for not treating Vengeance like crap ;)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I have no problem with a peaceful, or even with a bit heated argument, but stating opinions as facts, and being totally narrow-minded to others point of views, naah.

chk071 wrote:As i said, inability to distinguish between fact and personal opinion. 'nuff said. :)
right. tell me again about my narrow mind.
ImageImageImage

chk071 wrote:I have no problem with a peaceful, or even with a bit heated argument, but stating opinions as facts, and being totally narrow-minded to others point of views, naah.
look man. im trying to tell you i percieve something you do not. which one of us do you think is most liekly to be in the position of narrow-mindedness in that scenario?

is it the guy saying "hey...look at that! do you see that??!!...LOOK....OVER THERE LOOOOOK!!!!!!!"

or the guy saying "huh? i dont see anything...what? uh uh...it cant be true because i cant see it"

which one of those guys do you think is most likely to be the more narrow-minded?

ok...lets try this another way...

a guy consistently beats his girlfriend. everyone tells her she should leave him because hes abusive. but she says hes not abusive and he loves her.

is the abuse an "opinion"?

just because she doesnt feel like shes being abused...does not make the abuse any less real...and it doesnt make it a matter of opinion.

you follow?
ImageImageImage

What about guys who get beaten up by women?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

chaosWyrM wrote:
chk071 wrote:I have no problem with a peaceful, or even with a bit heated argument, but stating opinions as facts, and being totally narrow-minded to others point of views, naah.
look man. im trying to tell you i percieve something you do not.
Yes, you perceive something differently. There is no fact, just 2 opinions, yours and mine. I don't state my perception as a fact. You do. So tell me, who is narrow-minded here?

Anyway, let's just get over this? We won't come to an agreement anyway. Not on the "treated like crap" thing, nor on the narrow-minded thing. And i can't be arsed to discuss on that kind of level. A fact is that a stone falls down due to gravity. To perceive being treated like crap is not a fact. Neither is it something i would force onto someone as the one and only perception which is the correct one.

Aloysius wrote:What about guys who get beaten up by women?
depends on how much they have to pay. :wink:
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:which one of those guys do you think is most likely to be the more narrow-minded
Time to take a break :wink:

Oops, the below post is proving that it is you :borg:
Last edited by Numanoid on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:
look man. im trying to tell you i percieve something you do not.
Yes, you perceive something differently. There is no fact, just 2 opinions, yours and mine. I don't state my perception as a fact. You do. So tell me, who is narrow-minded here?
dont play semantic games. you know damned well which definition of "perceive" im using. who is being narrow minded here....you are...and THATS a fact.

im done trying to help you. if you dont care that youre being treated like crap...why should i?

oh right...because its people like you who f*ck things up for the rest of us. thanks for that.

not only are you narrow minded...but youre selfish too. :clap: :tu: :clap:

im out.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:
Aloysius wrote:What about guys who get beaten up by women?
depends on how much they have to pay. :wink:
:lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

recursive one wrote: Does the copy protection scheme influence your buying decisions?
Yes. A lot. Especially now as I rarely purchase anything new anyways as I do not need more stuff. I will just not see software that uses crappy protection as a good investment. If I buy something I want to own it in a sense that I can backup it and reinstall it whenever I want without having anything further to do with developer or any external third parties. Copy protection should work 100% 24/365 and never ever annoy or get in a way of a paying customer, and never put a paying user at the mercy of some faceless third party. Nothing less is acceptable.

Generally I view software that uses sh1tty protection like Pace as mobile apps - completely disposable. I would never pay any serious money for any mobile app as you have no control over them and they're often ephemeral. The same goes for software with CP that puts me at the mercy of some faceless third party like PACE. I could theoretically pay 5$ for a mobile app, and maybe 10-15$ max for PACE using plugins but not more.
No signature here!

recursive one wrote: In the grand scheme of things, do you believe that the "crackability" influences the developer's income and if it does, then in what direction? While I'd never advocate warez, I don't believe that things are always as simple as "no cracks equals to better income from sales".
I'm sure it does many ways. There's probably people who always want to get everything for free and they would rather download a plugin if they can than pay. Of course its very much debatable if and how much these people are influencing the income of developers. A lot of those people download every warezed plugin they can and never use much of it. A kid with every big name plugin bundle installed most likely would not buy most of it anyway.

Majority of the people are probably in the middle, buying some stuff and downloading other, often buying it later. And a lot of people who start out with pirated software will probably end up buying of it later as they have become dependent on it.

Also warez community does a great public service, IMHO, by counteracting the tyranny of intrusive copy protection. I definitely have absolutely no problem with people replacing they legit software with patched ones when CP becomes annoying. And that's the problem with copy protection. The pirates usually get a much better experience than those who bought legitimate software and have to deal with the CP cr@p. Recent iLok debacle is great case in point. The patched versions have exposed how much system overhead PACE actually has - patched versions load instantly (unlike the legit ones that take forever to load) and are up to 50% smaller, need no system level driver cr@p etc.
No signature here!

George wrote:I'm pretty surprised to know how popular dongle is as preferred copy protection.
I think dongle could only be acceptable when it done as Waves does it - you can use any generic USB stick. But overall it still sucks a lot as even on my quite powerful desktop workstation there's not many free USB ports when all my MIDI and audio gear is connected.
No signature here!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”