Scrolling through time

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can move back and forth using the mouse and the bars/beats indicator while Bitwig is not playing, but not when it's playing. I can launch cue markers individually with the mouse and by number with a key assigned, but not jump between them linearly. Some sort of FF/rewind (not return to zero) is available in every other DAW I'm aware of. What am I missing? Or am I?

The play head will jump where you double click on the ruler while playing back. It will jump there quantised, not immediatley (not sure if there´s a setting for that).
FF/rewind, there seems to be some commands for that in the api so it´s probably possible to access these functions with a controller.

Thanks. I have a FaderPort, I'll give that a shot later. This isn't a huge deal, it just seems odd. Maybe it's an artifact of the separate play engine. I would certainly settle for just a way to hop between cue markers without using the mouse but there doesn't seem to be a command to keyboard shortcut to.

Haven´t worked with cue markers so far, there are "launch arranger cue marker x" actions in the shortcut menu.

Yes, I've defined those, and they can be moderately useful if you really know where they all are. But I'm really just looking for a way to pop back and forth on the timeline via the keyboard and there doesn't seem to one. I find that very odd. I find many things in Bitwig odd. Most nicely odd, but some just puzzling. Like no "next cue marker" or "previous cue marker" commands.

it's a version 1 DAW, so just give it some time to mature.

Like we have any choice. I have great respect for the company for taking on so much complexity, breaking new ground, and supporting Linux. I also love the design and think it will eventually be the best thing out there. It's a grand quest.

On the other hand, they bit off a whole lot of work and there have been many, many bugs that are Beta-like, not a 1.0-like. IMHO, it's only recently that it's become stable enough for me to consider using it as my primary DAW. And I constantly consider it becasue I like the look and feel so much.

When I say puzzling, or odd, I mean to me. I also fully appreciate that people design for the way they work, and probably no one there works exactly the way I do.

Return to “Bitwig”