Is my iLok 2 dying?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

About a week ago I booted my computer and the iLok wasn't recognised. I had been using iLok software just before shutting down the PC the day before so there was definitely no problem and nothing had changed (no Windows updates, nothing). I installed the latest driver, rebooted and the iLok was back on deck. Just now it has done the same thing again. Throws up a message saying:

Could not find a valid license. In iLok License Manager, please check that the license is on your computer or iLok. Restart your DAW.

Starting the iLok License Manager throws up this little beauty.

Software Component Unavailable

A background component required for iLok License Manager seems to be unavailable. If rebooting does not fix this issue, please visit iLok.com and download and run the latest License Support installer.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Uh oh, I hear a stampede of ilok trolls on their way to this thread. :hihi:

This is a very good question I have not had this problem. Have you tried a clean install of the ilok software after uninstalling it? If it worked before and there were no changes on your system, it should still be good. Something might have corrupted? That does happen from time to time with some stuff. I'm thinking with the ilok 2 dongle either it works or it doesn't.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Check the running services to see if the Pace service (or something like that) is started. I think with Windows 10 this had to be changed from Automatic to Automatic (delayed start) to get it working correctly.

So far, it sounds more like a software issue than a hardware one.
Image Image Image Image

Orbit-50 wrote:Uh oh, I hear a stampede of ilok trolls on their way to this thread. :hihi:

Orbit-50 wrote:This is a very good question I have not had this problem. Have you tried...
..."turning it off and back on?!" - tech support

Nah on a serious sidenote... there can be a lot of things going wrong.

Since we don't know what OS you're on, I'd still do the following:
- unplug your iLok
- completely uninstall ALL iLok routines, reboot your host a couple of times
- reinstall the iLok manager (the most recent version)
- go via the on-screen descriptions like "Plug in your iLok now"
- USE DIFFERENT USB PORTS
- hope that it works

The thing is, Pace/iLok usually doesn't do much support. They think that their system is pretty much flawless. Well, it is, if it's running. But should you need support, the answers can't be any more cryptic (like you already got via the GUI) - if you get an answer at all.

Though if fear that your iLok2 is already dying, especially if you don't see the blue light going out once in a while, then I think there is no way around getting a new one and doing backups ASAP.

Sorry - can't be of further help here.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I was wondering what happens if it dies. So I keep my licenses but have to send it back to iLok or?

I've tried the uninstall thing mentioned above but as I said the problem has reoccurred a week later. I did get a reply from iLok though and apart from the reinstall and turn it off and on style support they suggested the delayed start thing. I'm on Win 7x64 though so not sure that will help. Will certainly be my next step if it goes into a coma again.

if in doubt buy another (empty) ilok2 and move your licenses from the old one to the new one in license manager - will beat the hassle/downtime if it does die, and it's not like blank ilok2 costs much

I don't know if these mailfunctions are related, but I have had problems with the iLok since updated the iLok Manager to the ver. 3.
Ver 2.5-> worked well but since ver. 3-> there's been constant trouble, plugins not recognizing the licensies. Re-installing etc. temporary help.

In addition to this iZotope just announced that their plugins have compatibility problems with the iLok at the moment.

Great. Never that keen on the iLok but love the plugins. Sort of like marriage I guess. Anyway, where's the cheapest place to buy an iLok 2? In Australia I think the last one I bought was around $65. Not keen to spend that right now if I can avoid it. I'll move it all to another iLok but is possible it won't change anything.

It's a pity there isn't any sort of built in diagnostics in these devices - sort of like SMART for hard drives - that could warn of impending problems.

Harry_HH wrote: In addition to this iZotope just announced that their plugins have compatibility problems with the iLok at the moment.
I've not had any - what is annoying is all their plugins have a conflict with Mac accessibility features which forces me to disable them - they have not done a single thing to fix that for many months (in fact there has not been a single update or bug fix for Ozone 7 since it came out and the same is true for all of their products - they want our money but won't maintain their products)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”