My first Windows 10 blue screen

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tried to load a sample from a SD card into the Air Structure VST sampler, running in FL Studio 12.

Got instant blue screen with info that pc must be shut down, due to some kind of ex fat error

I thought blue screens where a thing of the past? :( :scared:

No, they just took half of the useful info out of them in w10.

BSOD's are your friend, they tell you how badly your days going ;)

That sounds like the SD card is corrupted.

There seem to be some error with the exfat format in win10. I don't know enough about it, but is it an old(ish) sd card? Formatted under an earlier os, like win7?
I thought it was supposed to be a format to be compatible with all os, including mac. There seem to be some shareware formatting programs that made a trial period formatting job or something which only worked for a set time period, as far as I have read, though it sounds a bit strange.
Easiest solution would be to just transfer the samples to another media, usb pen or something. Reformat the card if you want to keep using it and transfer back... I have taken a vacation from such things this summer, but when I think I'm out, computers keep dragging me back... Should've laid off kvr too...and all that coffee

Kaine wrote:That sounds like the SD card is corrupted.
I thought maybe that too, but I got all my UVI libs on it, and they work fine loading up in UVI Workstation

I also went into properties on the drive to do "Error checking" and get told that "You don't need to scan this drive - We haven't found any errors on this drive"
Last edited by Numanoid on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaf_thit wrote:There seem to be some error with the exfat format in win10. I don't know enough about it, but is it an old(ish) sd card? Formatted under an earlier os, like win7?
It is quite new, bought it earlier this year.

The model is Sandisk Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC.

I didn't format it when I got it just started to use it straight away, so I guess ex fat was the default format it came with.

Did you try it again?

chk071 wrote:Did you try it again?
No, I don't see the point in that.

I will just put the samples I am gonna be using in Structure directly on my SSD instead.

Ok. Another idea would be to format the SD card new. Although i really don't know what should be wrong with an exFat format from the manufacturer. I recently formatted an USB stick in exFat, which was formatted in FAT32 before, works just fine under Windows 10 here. And it's faster than FAT32.

Numanoid wrote:
chk071 wrote:Did you try it again?
No, I don't see the point in that.
I've had tons of random crashes on various versions of Windows that would happen when doing A+B+C that wouldn't occur when doing A+B+C again. The first thing I'd suggest you do is try again to see if it will blue screen every time, or if it was just a one-off.

Indeed.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:The first thing I'd suggest you do is try again to see if it will blue screen every time, or if it was just a one-off.
Had it been super important for me to be able to render samples into Structures from that card, I would do it.

But as I have other options, I will rather chose to use those.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”