Mini Midi Controller with sensitive keyboard

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello
I am looking for a mini midi controller (which works with Windows 10). My concern is the keyboard.
I need a keyboard with very 'soft' keys, as for children toy instruments but with musical properties as for adult musicians.
Because of weak muscles disability I have a problem with pushing standard keys.
I would like to find such a midi that even after a gentle touch it catches the sound.
It is not a problem of such parameters as velocity settings, rather as mechanical construction of keyboard springs.
I am considering AKAI MPK MINI MK2 and Arturia MiniLab. I can't check them anywhere in my city and I have to choose and order it online. Which one would be better for me?
Maybe you can suggest any other very sensitive, easy to push, keyboard with or without velocity?

have you looked at the cme xkey range? you can enter user definable velocity curves for that.

Korg Nano Key 2

I would NOT recommend the Korg Microkey. On the default settings you have to pound the keys with extreme force to get full velocity, and even after using their utility software, I found the velocity curves to be unsatisfactory.

the korg, fun to carry around sometimes, is awful to play. definitely check out the cme xkeys (i have a 25key and the 37key). i take the 25 with me often. but a really nice experience to play...

Thanks for all responses!

Probably CME doesn't have a mini keyboard or I can't find it, yet. Regular size keys are more difficult for me to play.. Moreover, I can't see anything about how soft to touch are their xkeys.

As for Korg, I think I should try NanoKeys2 [thanks for advice DMG68!]. It looks soft on YouTube videos, some films suggest they are as soft as common computer keys that I can deal with. I won't try Korg Microkeys, as they seem to have very high keys and must be difficult to push.

Please pay attention in your advices that my point is mechanical resistance of the keyboard, not how the movement is transferred to velocity curve.

Ah, sorry - the xkey are full size keys in pretty much as small a frame as possible.

In terms of travel/resistance - because the travel is so shallow (not much more than a mac keyboard) and the velocity curves can be remapped, you can set it to respond to very light inputs - but if the key size itself doesn't work for you then that's out.

fwiw, I just measured how much weight it takes to register with an on/off velocity curve and it's 50-55grams.

Muzaa wrote:As for Korg, I think I should try NanoKeys2 [thanks for advice DMG68!]. It looks soft on YouTube videos, some films suggest they are as soft as common computer keys that I can deal with.
I'd second that recommendation, I use the nanokey2 all the time. I don't have any issues with full size keyboards but I find moving between a laptops keyboard and the nanokey much more consistent/fluid/productive from a workflow perspective, similar force on both boards etc. Also, you may read reviews about the build quality; I think a lot of commentators are confusing the NK2 model with the original model which was awful (literally cheap laptop keys). I've found it sturdy and bears up to being chucked in my laptop bag repeatedly (and on the floor after I've missed the bag occasionally. :))

the Xkey from CME works like a computer keyboard, not as an standard music keyboard. if you are confortable using a laptop keyboard then the Xkey from CME could work for you.
dedication to flying

Maybe something like PUSH or a Launchpad would suit you. Depends what works with your DAW. Push 2 takes very little pressure to trigger notes, and can be set for different responses.
The minikeys on the Microbrute are also very easy to press. No velocity, just note on and off. Works as a midi keyboard over midi and USB. Not really what you asked for tho ...

The Keith McMillan mini keyboards like the k-board can be made to be extremely sensitive. Personally I prefer the cme xkey, which are full size but very shallow. And I had issues with the qunexus pitch bend and returned it twice. But it was prettying playa me otherwise to a light touch. I would just recommend trying one first.

I find Push (both 1 and 2) to be a very hard and unpleasant surface to play.

I was also thinking that the k-board might be an interesting option.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

My experience: tried six Qunexus keyboards and every one of them had problems - not all of the keys had the same velocity response (even after adjusting the sensitivity settings in the setup editor); some keys occasionally didn't detect presses at all. According to my local dealer they're frequently being returned. I imagine the Kboards (same keyboard without the CV stuff) have the same problem, but I haven't tried them.

Thank you all for the responses! Thanks to you I decided to buy Korg Nano Key 2 and I am happy with them :)
I thought they would be even easier to press, but probably it is not possible. I'll try to manage with them for now. Thanks again!

Have to resurrect this old thread. I just picked up a used laptop to do some recording on the go and need a portable midi controller. I have a Seaboard Rise Block and hate playing it. It's too damn small to ever play a chord and triggering notes by accident happens too easily. I just want something I can play and a quick KVR forum search gave me an option with the CME Xkey 25. Awesome. Love this forum.

Return to “Instruments”