Cubase/Win10 Redstone Compatibility [Confirmed]

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Windows 10 Redstone compatibility testing completed

Caution needed here, methinks.
HALion compatibility not confirmed (yet), and degraded performance from Cubase.

Cuts in performance are never good if some of your projects are pushing at the edge of your systems capability.

ps Apologies if this has already been posted.
Last edited by Googly Smythe on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Already? So apparently we'll be getting hit with a "new O.S." every year now!

I guess PC users will soon be experiencing the same upgrade frustrations that Mac users have had to endure. :scared:

flugel45 wrote:Already? So apparently we'll be getting hit with a "new O.S." every year now!

I guess PC users will soon be experiencing the same upgrade frustrations that Mac users have had to endure. :scared:
Minus the non-working software i guess. :P

Seriously, i think we can be happy that Steinberg announces such test results at all, i haven't seen that from other companies. I'm not sure how performance can decrease, but, obviously, there have been some bigger changes under the hood in the new Windows update, i'm sure though Steinberg will be working on it to get performance where it has been again. I#m expecting one of the next updates to "fix" this actually.

Thank you for posting this.

Not sure if I want to upgrade quite yet, then.

Please, Windows, don't go backward in the audio department. :pray:
Blue Phase Music

chk071 wrote:
flugel45 wrote:Already? So apparently we'll be getting hit with a "new O.S." every year now!

Minus the non-working software i guess. :P
If anything, I suspect it will be worse with PCs. When Macs, with the same hardware, suffer from all of these upgrade issues, I shudder to think what it will be like on the PC side, with all of the possible permutations of hardware components.

You "suspect it will be worse". Well, it isn't worse. In fact, it's a lot better. What makes you think it could become worse? Microsoft, even with new versions of Windows were always very concentrated on backwards compatibilty. In fact i've had 2 or 3 programs out of 100, which don't work on Windows 10, which worked on most other Windows version before, and are stone old for some part of them. Actually, the 2 or 3 which don't work actually use an antiquated, obsolete copy protection, which newer Windows' simply don't support anymore. And regarding my usage history, i used Windows Me, then XP, then Vista, then 7, 8 and now 10. I can only say that i find it pretty ridiculous to assume that now program compatibility would become "worse than it is on Mac". Let's also not forget that the major Win 10 updates are not new OS version, but updates, which install like a new OS. Program and backwards compatibility on Mac isn't worse, it is much worse, and it's not foreseeable that that will change in anywhere near future.

The tests are for Cubase. That may be the problem rather than Windows 10. Unless someone compare various DAWs on Win 10 - its not possible to know. Looks to me like they are saying it works on Win 10 as is but performance suffers.

chk071 wrote:You "suspect it will be worse". Well, it isn't worse. In fact, it's a lot better. What makes you think it could become worse? Microsoft, even with new versions of Windows were always very concentrated on backwards compatibilty. In fact i've had 2 or 3 programs out of 100, which don't work on Windows 10, which worked on most other Windows version before, and are stone old for some part of them. Actually, the 2 or 3 which don't work actually use an antiquated, obsolete copy protection, which newer Windows' simply don't support anymore. And regarding my usage history, i used Windows Me, then XP, then Vista, then 7, 8 and now 10. I can only say that i find it pretty ridiculous to assume that now program compatibility would become "worse than it is on Mac". Let's also not forget that the major Win 10 updates are not new OS version, but updates, which install like a new OS. Program and backwards compatibility on Mac isn't worse, it is much worse, and it's not foreseeable that that will change in anywhere near future.
Okay, I take it all back. Relax. :?

I was only going by the wording in that article (referring to it as a new O.S.) so it had me thinking they were taking a similar road as Apple.

If it's just an update to Win 10, then great. As a Windows user, I don't want drastic, rapid changes.

BTW, I was only referring to the O.S. updates... not Cubase.
Last edited by flugel45 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sorry, i guess i'm a bit allergic to statements about Windows in these forums, and all the negativity surrounding it. You're of course perfectly entitled to have your opinion about it, if you think it'll become much worse than on MacOS with the backwards compatibility. Just because i don't understand it, or feel like there's any indication which it could be based on, doesn't mean you can not feel free to have your own opinion about it. Sigh.

Hey, no worries, man. :)

I edited my last statement to maybe clarify where I was going thought-wise.

I really hope you're right. I watch Mac users go through the (seemingly constant) upgrades, and shake my head and marvel how they cope with it.

I really doubt that we Windows users have anything to worry in that regard. Still surprising for me too that there's performance issues in Cubase with the update. But then, if Steinberg didn't announce that they have tested it, we wouldn't even know about i guess. :) I'm still positive that they will figure that out quickly. Shouldn't be that hard really, if it's something which happens with the update, in general, and not on one out of a thousand test computers. And i'm also very positive we don't have to fear MacOS-like compatibility issues. :)

All Steinberg software now officialyy support Win10 "Redstone/Anniversary" edition.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeven ... -3842.html

So what we can expect about this?.:

"Until today, we have been executing compatibility tests with Windows 10 “Redstone”. Test results show that, in some cases, performance cuts varying between 5 and 10 percent can occur compared to the previous Windows 10 operating system. Our Quality Assurance currently researches probable causes for these performance cuts and will evaluate potential solutions for customers concerned."

Steinberg found the problem?.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 6&t=100381

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”