MPowersynth Sawtooth issue / DC-Bias affecting maximum RMS

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MeldaProduction wrote:I just checked in the analyzer - comparing the MPowerSynth's saw to MOscillator (which looks like normal sawtooth) - both have the exact same spectrum response. So the only difference is the phase-shift.

And here's the reason (I was confused myself too, so don't worry :D ) - it is the DC filter. To disable it click the huge Advanced settings window and uncheck "DC filter" ;).

OMG THANKS!!!

I knew it could do it somehow someway, apologies for not finding the DC filter checkbox too...

[runs off to make basslines]
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

Hehe no problem! I'm glad it is ok! :clap:
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

My suggestions :tu:

I think DC filter should be Off by default.

And not hide DC filter in the Advanced Settings.

However what I don't get: why is the DC filter doing that? I never thought about a realtime DC filter, but if I remove the DC offset in an offline file I guess the waveform is just shifted vertically so that the mean is centered, isn't it? The perfect saw has no DC offset, so why should it be changed?

So what exactly is the DC filter doing in the first place? The documentation says it removes content below 20Hz, so it's just a highpass filter? Some posts above there was a post explaining that highpass filters introduce a DC offset themselves. I am lost :D

Offline is cool, everything is easy there :D. You just count the proper DC and subtract it. Trivial. But realtime it just cannot know there's a DC. SO it's a highpass filter -> phase shift -> you know the rest... ;)
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

yeah I guess I am also wondering why exactly the DC filter is engaged by default.

Is it actually doing something to improve the sound? Or is it just there to prevent DC?

MPowersynth is really one of the few synths I've come across with a dc filter making this much of a difference to the waveform, so there must be some reason, or perhaps there is a reason why others don't?

Well, most people don't care, but I found it can make a huge difference with certain transformations etc. Anyways I don't see a big deal about it, you can always disable it after all. For most sounds it doesn't really matter, but it probably does for bass...
Vojtech

no problems, at least we now know :)
thanks a lot (as always) for your help clearing this up!

edit: I'm just clicking through Bass presets on MPowersynth and so far, every single one has the DC filter enabled.

If as you say certain transformations like having the dc filter enabled then of course some bass presets might require it, but for a preset like 'Phat Bass' where there is no FM, and no transformations going on, the dc filter is surely making this preset not quite as 'Phat' as it could be?

I think it's hard to say whether it will sound better with it or without in general. Who knows :)... I'll check ;)
Vojtech

Guys, it's obvious there's a very clear phase shift from the DC filter..oh it has already been said.
I've also discovered that the DC function is on by default because something didn't seem right. Maybe some fancy automatic detection and warning system could be added. I do remember a few people I know who are less motivated to go into advanced settings when they demo plugins, even less so read manuals, complain about basses not sounding <some arbitrary word related to analogue synths>. Maybe the huge Advanced settings button could also double as a status bar maybe or a place for more modulators or something ;)

Return to “MeldaProduction”