Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

I have all the dx1 multi patches programmed with 2 DEXED in patchwork.

The sound is very like the hardware so why not work it out.

Well, afaik the DX1 didn't have displays for each synth but changed the display depending if Channel A and a Channel B were chosen. Exactly what loading two instances of Dexed would do, with the added plus that you can see both machines at the same time if you put them next to each other. With two instances of Dexed loaded you have one set of controls controlling two synths, which you can even arrange in a stereo field. The DX1 does look nice, though. Would be nice to have a similar GUI.

Hi folks,

I love DEXED but I can't get my DX7 to send to it. I can receive patches from DEXED but not entire "CARTS". Nor can I send patches to DEXED from the DX7. I have followed the setup instructions on the website (setting the correct MIDI channel, SYS INFO AVAIL, etc.) and I can see the DX IN 'light' flashing when I send some SYSEX to DEXED, but nothing changes.

I really would like to back up some of my custom DX7 patches into DEXED. I am using Cubase 8.5 through a Yamaha N12 mixer (with MIDI).

Thanks for any help.

After messing around with this problem for hours, here's what I've found (if this matters to anyone):

The same problems are evident with different MIDI programs like MIDI-OX and the FM ALIVE! DX7 editor. I can receive but not send. With MIDI-OX, I can actually receive full banks via SYSEX even though the DX7 screen displays a MEMORY PROTECT error (yes, Memory Protect is turned OFF). With FM ALIVE I can't even get it to talk to the DX7 at all.

I was able to bulk dump the internal bank from the DX7 into MIDI-OX but only after removing the MIDI IN cable from the DX7 (so that it was only talking to the computer but the computer was not talking to the DX7) and even then the DX7 never sent the final OFF command (F7) so I had to manually append the resulting file. But it did work. I was able to load that bank into DEXED and back into the DX7 from MIDI-OX as well.

If I left the MIDI IN cable plugged into the DX7 and performed a bulk dump to MIDI-OX, the DX7 would proceed to dump the bank twice (again without the ending F7 command) and then just sit there and spit out F0 43 F0 43 F0 43 over and over again (which is the start command) until I cancelled the transfer.

It should be noted that my SY77 works just fine with FM ALIVE!

Thoughts?

It could actually be your MIDI cable. I guess you're using a USB->MIDI cable and there's better and worse qualities, especially when it comes to SysEx data. At least that what the seller told me when he sold me one of the more expensive ones... I use a Roland UM-One and it works nicely.

sebber wrote:It could actually be your MIDI cable. I guess you're using a USB->MIDI cable and there's better and worse qualities, especially when it comes to SysEx data. At least that what the seller told me when he sold me one of the more expensive ones... I use a Roland UM-One and it works nicely.
Actually, my main interface is the Yamaha N12 digital mixer, which connects via Firewire to the computer. I did try a M-Audio UNO USB MIDI interface, but that was even worse.

As for my cables, I tried three different cables, including some old Roland MIDI cables that I've had since the first time I had a DX7, back in 1988! I also tried my own handmade cables and Hosa MIDI cables.

I should mention that last night I tested my SY77 with FM Alive and the same cables and interface and I also tested my FS1r with the ZeeEdit editor and both worked just fine.

Any luck with implementing glide/portamento? Thanks

I thought DX1 was just a difference in PolyAT Keyboard. Same DX7 sound engine.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Totally loving Dexed. A suggestion: how about adding the pitch bend options found on the DX21?

electro wrote:I thought DX1 was just a difference in PolyAT Keyboard. Same DX7 sound engine.
Two DX7 in one.

I have a problem with saving my patches everytime i close the project i lose the bank because when i reload the project it has the dexed factory load and but it does still have my patch but the bank i made or was working with is not loaded, in windows 7, fl studio x32 bit but it does say save as daw state or external file, i never change that to file it just stays at save as daw state but when i reload the project with the new preset the bank is not load or saved the preset in the bank, it would be nice if this issue could be addressed that when it is saved to daw state it reloads previous bank regardless of wither or not the preset is saved in the bank.
"Art is the fundamental language of expression, it piers into our souls and moves us, Music is Art...it surrounds us." - Joel Bisson

Before the Dexed GUI, I had suggested the much better GUI from an old CTRLR panel now on version 2.
http://ctrlr.org/panels/
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:Before the Dexed GUI, I had suggested the much better GUI from an old CTRLR panel now on version 2.
http://ctrlr.org/panels/
Can't you just use the panel as a controller for Dexed if you like it so much?

Problem -

Apparently the .syx export from DEXED outputs the wrong header. Making the .syx file loadable only with DEXED.

Trying to load it in my Korg Kronos (which loads original .syx files and also all other .syx files found online with no problem) not possible.

This is due to the file header showing not as original DX .syx.

How can I get past this?

tristan- wrote:Problem -

Apparently the .syx export from DEXED outputs the wrong header. Making the .syx file loadable only with DEXED.

Trying to load it in my Korg Kronos (which loads original .syx files and also all other .syx files found online with no problem) not possible.

This is due to the file header showing not as original DX .syx.

How can I get past this?
Wait till the end of the week... I might have time to finish the next version (0.9.2). This bug is already fixed (you need to build it for now), but I wait to finish the real implementation of algo 4 and 6. Once this is done I will make a new release. Sorry for this stupid bug.

Return to “Instruments”