Behringer Analog Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote:It seems that DCO2 is an expanded version of the Juno-106's sub oscillator.
Yes you are right. Just noticed that the saw and square waveforms on dco 1 can be activated simultanously and that is exactly the principle of the Juno. I thought it was a selector that worked for both dco 1 and 2. This makes dco 2 a phase locked square sub instead. It all makes sense now considering it began as a Juno 106 clone. Forget all my earlier jx vs juno speculations in this regard. I stand corrected, though it still doesn't give us a three octaved bass but neither did the Junos, since the saw and main square can be layered but not octaved.

So what we have is simply a Juno on steriods. Interesting.

Edit: Hmm...then again, there is an edit botton below dco 2 so maybe there is more to it than meets the eye after all.

Edit 2: if there is more it would likely be a waveform selector and not an additional sub, since the mod matrix only mentions a main dco and a sub dco corresponding to dco 1 and 2.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:Ah, Behringer. A name synonymous with quality.
Ah, Midas. A name synonymous with quality.
:tu:

IncarnateX wrote: For my needs that would actually make Mopho x 4 or Tetra more suitable to me with it's 2 dcos and 2 subs pr. voice. I need those bloody subs. Minilogue can make them too in it's mono mode and it rocks for bass sounds.
Minilogue can do some awesome bass sounds, but the filter isn't bass friendly. You lose a lot of low end with resonance.

I tend to use Mopho for any resonant bass sound, also prefer it for wilder feedback based tones. Though not tried going from Minilogue out to external in yet.

IncarnateX wrote:
Uncle E wrote:It seems that DCO2 is an expanded version of the Juno-106's sub oscillator.
Yes you are right. Just noticed that the saw and square waveforms on dco 1 can be activated simultanously and that is exactly the principle of the Juno. I thought it was a selector that worked for both dco 1 and 2. This makes dco 2 a phase locked square sub instead. It all makes sense now considering it began as a Juno 106 clone. Forget all my earlier jx vs juno speculations in this regard. I stand corrected, though it still doesn't give us a three octaved bass but neither did the Junos, since the saw and main square can be layered but not octaved.

So what we have is simply a Juno on steriods. Interesting.

Edit: Hmm...then again, there is an edit botton below dco 2 so maybe there is more to it than meets the eye after all.

Edit 2: if there is more it would likely be a waveform selector and not an additional sub, since the mod matrix only mentions a main dco and a sub dco corresponding to dco 1 and 2.
Well, if it has 12 voices, then that's a decent indication that it would be at least duo timbral, no? That's how I used to deal with not having sub oscs on the Prophet 08. Not quite the same... But in some ways better.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

transmetropolitan wrote:Minilogue can do some awesome bass sounds, but the filter isn't bass friendly. You lose a lot of low end with resonance.
You do that with just any -24 db filter if the res is any good, imo. There are several ways of dealing with this:

1) Send it through a compressor, so that volume of the overall sound stays the same, when you turn up the resonance (my first choice)

2) If you just want a static high res sound, use an eq and turn up the lows

3) If recorded, normalize it all, and then the parts where you turn up res

4) If static, why not make use of Minilogue's voice mode debth? Have you noticed that you can control both the amount of subs (1 or 2) and the volume of the subs this way?

5) Try using the -12 db filter instead. It is awesome for more dirty and agressive bass sounds.
zerocrossing wrote:Well, if it has 12 voices, then that's a decent indication that it would be at least duo timbral, no? That's how I used to deal with not having sub oscs on the Prophet 08. Not quite the same... But in some ways better.
I use this method with my JP8000, since it doesn't have a sub either in addition to it's two osc. It is more cumbersome though, and to really make it work for tweaking, your synth has to be able to e.g. control both layer's filter, amp, env etc. simultanously. Fortunately JP8000 can do exactly that but not all synths can. But the "but in some ways better" I have to disagree about. I prefer three oscs compared to that venture.

Thanks for the interests and responses guys :) Sometimes it is hard to know whether you write into the blue air or not :D
Last edited by IncarnateX on Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

I guess I'll be selling my Juno-106 pretty soon now... ;)
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Mhhh...i started with some mobile apps, then growed to desktop tools.....next step would be analog gear!
If it's between 1000-1500€ i will buy me one for Christmas!
But not sure about moving parts and how long they will work.
Wood and metal...i hope so.
But would be great to make some big analog gear affordable for non-rich people.

Numanoid wrote:
dogzilla wrote:What's the keyboard to the left of the DeepMind in the Amazona video? It's got the same Juno-esque sliders. Possibly another prototype?
Good try :D
I'm thinking it's another synth. Also 49 keys, but markedly different, in that there are no 'sliders' to the left of the LCD screen. 'Perhaps' an early prototype though, as Uli mentioned (in his initial comments @GS) "there were many panel iterations", OR a lesser voiced/featured synth, to compliment their new "line".

Can't see him coming out with just one "game-changer/bar-raiser", without having options available that appeal to different aspects of the market, and/or (inclusive of) the more budget conscious. When you have the resources he's got, you hit hard, and fast, to stake a claim, and maximize your ROI.

"Flag-ships", rarely sail alone. ;) [2c]

{aside} I did note, and found it extremely odd, that the interviewer guy didn't ask about it, or comment at all. How could you not do so? It seems totally natural to me, even if you're just the kid in the candy-shop, let alone a "news-hound/reporter" with a mission, and a camera. Unless... it was part of the agreement/marketing ploy, to not disclose anything about that which is "hidden, in plain sight". :idea:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Sounds nice but I hate the sliders

IncarnateX wrote:
transmetropolitan wrote:Minilogue can do some awesome bass sounds, but the filter isn't bass friendly. You lose a lot of low end with resonance.
You do that with just any -24 db filter if the res is any good, imo. There are several ways of dealing with this:

1) Send it through a compressor, so that volume of the overall sound stays the same, when you turn up the resonance (my first choice)

2) If you just want a static high res sound, use an eq and turn up the lows

3) If recorded, normalize it all, and then the parts where you turn up res

4) If static, why not make use of Minilogue's voice mode debth? Have you noticed that you can control both the amount of subs (1 or 2) and the volume of the subs this way?

5) Try using the -12 db filter instead. It is awesome for more dirty and agressive bass sounds.
You do it with any LP filter to some extent, sure.

My point is that some filters are better than others in this regard. And the Curtis LP filter in the Mopho easily bests the Arp Solus style filter in the Minilogue in this respect. At both 12 and 24db.

FWIW I use the 12db filter in the Minilogue probably 80% if the time anyway. And yeah, there are workarounds and there are occasions when I find a way around a problem. My default though is to avoid a problem at source unless there's a good reason not to. In this case one example would be that I'd want to use more than 2 oscs to get a thicker sound - Minilogue in Unison does that, Mopho does not.

I love both synths and the ML can do some awesome bass sounds. But the filter does make it considerably less than ideal in some contexts.

To compensate for my laziness yesterday, I have tried to compile some info from the article and the video (though the vid is outdated now and may be erroneous on some points)

So here are at least some basics:

-12 voices
- 2 Juno inspired dcos + noise osc. DCO 1 has seemingly a layerable saw and pulzewidth controlled square. DCO 2 seems to be an extended Juno sub (likely a phase locked square) with an unknown tone mod feature...and maybe a subwave selector under the hood? (The edit botton)
-DCO sync and voice unison detune options
- 3 envelopes (two hidden). VCA, VCF and an assignable Mod, though the front panel indicates that the mod may be assigned to dco 1 and 2 as default and can be controlled from the panel. Each with three different curves
-A 2 pole/4 pole filter (according to the video) + an additional hpf (not stepped like the Junos)
-Arpeggiator + 32 step sequencer with gate time control on front
-An extensive mod matrix with 15 sources and 67 destinations (as far as my counting goes)
-Keyboard aftertouch
-Effect section with 4 parts and 30+ types of effects each (can be bypassed for pure analog signal path)
-All parameters are wi fi-controllable and editable though pc and tablet editors
-USB, Midi connectors.

-What it doesn't have:
-a split, layer or multimode function according to the article (wtf?!)
-additional subs
-Motorized faders (big surprise :roll:)
-Built in Coffee machine
-Virtual babe that blows you in the morning
-A high price? (dream on jerkers, they may still come true)

Plz correct the list and fill in blanks if possible.

transmetropolitan wrote:I love both synths and the ML can do some awesome bass sounds. But the filter does make it considerably less than ideal in some contexts.
In your opion, other people almost consider Mopho's res broken due to it is so subtle (check out the Minilogue thread and comparison. Some of the last pages). To each his own.

The Envs are all visible. There are 3 buttons underneath to switch between vca/vcf/mod

here's all the pics of architecture/functions from the article, plus keyboard shots:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”