Roland Jupiter-8 for a ridiculous price

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am pretty sure he will have sold it fast. People who are willing to spend 5k on it, will also pay 8 or 10k for it.

But I doubt it is worth it, I mean, 8k for a single synth instance, hello?! :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:I am pretty sure he will have sold it fast. People who are willing to spend 5k on it, will also pay 8 or 10k for it.
The Jup-8 from Japan was listed August 9th, not sold in two weeks...

There are 46 watchers though. The hipsters that can't afford it, can at least watch it 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:I am pretty sure he will have sold it fast. People who are willing to spend 5k on it, will also pay 8 or 10k for it.

But I doubt it is worth it, I mean, 8k for a single synth instance, hello?! :hihi:

What, like a piano, or a cello, or a guitar, or any other instrument that isn't a fvcking plugin?

Baffling logic :hihi:

tehlord wrote:

What, like a piano, or a cello, or a guitar, or any other instrument that isn't a fvcking plugin?

Baffling logic :hihi:
Well, if I played live, your logic would make sense. But since I use a sequencer, having just one instance is weird.
Plus, with a good synth I could make half a song, unlike with a mere violin or cello. So again, it would be nice to have at least half a dozen instances of the synth.

If only there were a technology that allowed people to record one instance, and then record another version of that instance and play it along at the same time.

Hehe :hihi:
But it's not the same as having half a dozen instances open at the same time and being able to tweak any control on any of them any time.

With such an old synth I would also be worried that it breaks any time and that it can't be fixed.

If someone's willing to shell out $10k for that synth, why not $20k? $50k? I mean, if you've got $10k lying around for a frivolous synth purchase, you probably could scrape together $20k for the same. Seller should capitalize.

The more you pay for it, the better it sounds (or at least the post-purchase-rationalizing part of our brains would have us believe). So why not just pay $10mil for it and have the best-sounding synth ever made?

I guess it's like with those stamp collectors, who pay thousands of dollars for a square inch of sticky paper 8)

Numanoid wrote:If it had wood panels, probably would have sold for $15000 :D
....and knobs !

I wasn't even interested in the Jupiter-8 in the 80s. One of the reasons was that it looked so so toy-ish. To be honest - that synth had a fairly short popularity period.

Back then - if somebody would have told us that in the future there'll be people willing to pay $10k for a Roland Jupiter-8 - we would have laughed our pimply teenage arses off.

This may come as a shock to some people but some synth lovers aren't bedroom "producers". They actually use their gear for work, and $10k for such a purpose is peanuts.

That new Moog sold out almost immediately and that was 5x the price if I'm not mistaken. One of which went to Ty Unwin, who although is doing extremely well, isn't Deadmau5 or Thom Yorke.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:This may come as a shock to some people but some synth lovers aren't bedroom "producers". They actually use their gear for work, and $10k for such a purpose is peanuts.

That new Moog sold out almost immediately and that was 5x the price if I'm not mistaken. One of which went to Ty Unwin, who although is doing extremely well, isn't Deadmau5 or Thom Yorke.
Or, they're not even using it for work, have the money and don't mind spending money on some of the greatest musical instruments ever made.

I think people should go look at the guitar section of any musical instrument retailer to realise how cheap synths really are. For the price of an OB6 (for example) you can pick from hundreds of decent, mid range guitars at the same cost.

tehlord wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:This may come as a shock to some people but some synth lovers aren't bedroom "producers". They actually use their gear for work, and $10k for such a purpose is peanuts.

Or, they're not even using it for work, have the money and don't mind spending money on some of the greatest musical instruments ever made.

I think people should go look at the guitar section of any musical instrument retailer to realise how cheap synths really are. For the price of an OB6 (for example) you can pick from hundreds of decent, mid range guitars at the same cost.
Exactly.

If you've ever looked at the classic car market recently you'd realise there's some mad money about and people arent afraid to spend it on things they lusted over in the early days. Sure one is a synth and the other is a car, but both are dreams and both are enjoyment. Some cars go for tens of millions making a $10k appear very cheap indeed.

Nonetheless, many professionals actually use plugins, and don't need a limited, decades old analog synth for thousands of Euros, to do their work. But, hey, whatever floats ones boat. I really can't see how someone necessarily would need this to make a living though. I'd rather see this as a "nice to have" thing.

How much money you have is irrelevant to how much something is worth.

A glass of milk isn't worth $10k - no matter if the cow was milked by Bob Moog himself.

sfd wrote:How much money you have is irrelevant to how much something is worth.

A glass of milk isn't worth $10k - no matter if the cow was milked by Bob Moog himself.
If somebody wants it bad enough it is.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”