Is there a way in FL Studio (or any other DAW) to...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a way in FL Studio or any other daw to record a separate audio clip for each midi? I feel like that should be a basic thing you could do, but I haven't been able to find out how in FL nor been able to find out how by googling.

For clarification, I mean, say if you have a 4 note chord, you 'record' each midi seperately, and it gives you 4 audio clips of each note, when layered it should sound like the chord, though now you can go in and do more specific things. It doesn't take long to just mute each one and record individually, but by making it simpler to do so you'll do it more often since it's much easier.

By doing this you'd very quickly have access to the audio itself where you could layer it, or add fx to a specific note, or whatever. Instead of having to mute everything around it just to record a specific note, etc.

No.

VST instruments don't output a separate sound stream for each concurrent MIDI note, they output all the notes (and anything else) already mixed.

I think it would be easier just to put the MIDI notes you want sounding different in another track.

You can definetly do this in Reaper. Set your track to 'record output' by right clicking on the tracks record button. Every pass of the loop will create another audio take. You can also do it in midi. That's a neat advantage when every track is the same: audio, midi , instruments, auxiliary it's all on the same track in Reaper.
There might be a better way of doing this through some routing...Evil Dragon surely knows about this...
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

there is chord splitter("channelizator") in Reaper http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=26559 it needs as many VSTi as many chord notes u have with different channel input
Last edited by xbitz on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

In Ableton you can use Instrument rack to split MIDI notes into multiple instruments, but you need to set the keyzones for each channel on your own.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Keyboard splitting is in every daw but I think he is asking a mechanism that detect polyphony and pass them to individual tracks.

pottering wrote:No.

VST instruments don't output a separate sound stream for each concurrent MIDI note, they output all the notes (and anything else) already mixed.

I think it would be easier just to put the MIDI notes you want sounding different in another track.
they certainly do - as long as they are multi-timbral. for example lush-101 would make it quite easy to do what op wants.

but when it comes to FL, it's easy to accomplish even though all the instruments are stereo... just load up as many instances of sytrus or harmor as you want in parallel in a Patcher then split the notes with colors. because each instance will only play one voice, cpu overhead will be minimal compared to using only one.

In most any you should be able to...

- Record the midi chords.
- Split by pitch. (all pitches go to new tracks)
- Bounce it all to audio.
- Throw it all into a folder track.

Last edited by xtreme sounds on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

you can probably do this with scripting in Falcon or Kontakt - simple note splitting will not work as it works according to symbolic criteria rather than musical criteria eg it splits all c3s to a channel, all c#3s to another and so on. That's not very musical whereas a musical split will split according to voicing, where say c3 might vary from chord to chord as far as voicing position goes.

I think FL allows for more sophisticated midi selection than something like Reaper - in FL you can select wavy musical lines with a brush whereas in Reaper (everything else?) you can only select according to note or region in squares and rectangles. As with the splitting problem this reflects the limited musical backgrounds of a lot of the people actually designing the DAW and the failure to engage with a broad range of composers and musicians in the design process

melodyz wrote:Fl Studio is disappointing me by not having either a proper loop recorder or "bounce" to audio. Btw dont use the word "bounce" on FL forums as they will instead spend time arguing about terminology.
I thought we didn't understand what 'Freeze' meant. FL Studio certainly 'Bounces' audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cvVDi2HVqo

Regards Scott
Last edited by Image-Line on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

Brisbot wrote:Is there a way in FL Studio or any other daw to record a separate audio clip for each midi? ...

For clarification, I mean, say if you have a 4 note chord, you 'record' each midi seperately, and it gives you 4 audio clips of each note, when layered it should sound like the chord, though now you can go in and do more specific things. It doesn't take long to just mute each one and record individually, but by making it simpler to do so you'll do it more often since it's much easier.
Normally you don't create Audio Clips for MIDI driven plugins. Why are you wanting to do this?

As pottering suggested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ujbKU-qzw

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

I found out that I can record some loops, but some things are still not smooth enough for me to enjoy it fully. I will keep trying.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”