SoundToys plugins alternative to Devil-Loc Deluxe and Radiator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kvaca wrote:
TheoM wrote: Very good still but not AS good is the studio devil preamp, which is the one to buy if you really can't get past ilok.
:o
that studio devil preamp sounds nothing like a typical tube pre as it cuts everything above 6 kHz or so...while any decent tube pre has almost flat frequency response up to 40 kHz or more...
in this regard wavearts tube saturator sounds much closer to real tube pre :wink:
i couldn't care less.. i care about the sound.. the wave arts actually sounds like farting, literally. It's awful.

But regardless, the studio devil has treble rolloff in the middle of the knob as standard, which is why it cuts. Just move it to the right. Done.

when i demoed it the first wavearts plugin could sound good used lightly for a little waming effect then it was showing his digital nature when pushed more ( this is true more or less for all plugins soundtoys, studio devil, kush, sdrr ..)

it s maybe not analog emulation but i like the sat and distortion from melda from using them on Mpowersynth. i would like to try on different source to see if it work cause on mpowersynth when pushed or lightly on the Melda eq it can sound quite good the few times i used it.
it depends the needs and taste but the sound stay open it s like high quality modern analog in a way..it don t change the tonal balance, it s not dark or muffled and don t crap out in a horrible way that scream i m digital imo so even if it s maybe not a emulation it may sound more analog and higher quality cause of this sometimes . it s what you get with some plugins when you push them, they can remove details like old or cheap analog and this personnaly i don t like , and on top add digital artifacts
Last edited by Synthetic Wav on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

Synthetic Wav wrote:when i demoed it the first wavearts plugin could sound good used lightly for a little waming effect then it was showing his digital nature when pushed more ( this is true more or less for all plugins soundtoys, studio devil, kush, sdrr ..)
Yeah, this is it. It sounds pretty good at low levels, but can't really be pushed (unless you use it as a send).
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:
Synthetic Wav wrote:when i demoed it the first wavearts plugin could sound good used lightly for a little waming effect then it was showing his digital nature when pushed more ( this is true more or less for all plugins soundtoys, studio devil, kush, sdrr ..)
Yeah, this is it. It sounds pretty good at low levels, but can't really be pushed (unless you use it as a send).
yeah i couldn t tell the difference with real tube amp but maybe my monitoring was not that good and my ears not as trained as today at that time.. if there was a difference both sounded very good and close on the source i compared them.(very light )

the sound is rarely articulated like hardware thought, it s more rigid but some plugs nail the depth and 3d, just not how it handle the transients , the overall dynamic/compression/limiting behavior is not the same and it s really far to feel real the more it s pushed the more it s obvious.
but after it depends, i had a api channel strip and the sound was far from getting more juicy when pushed but insteed brittle that remind me some plugs ( still a amazing piece of gear i dont want to mean it s crap)
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

TheoM wrote: the studio devil has treble rolloff in the middle of the knob as standard, which is why it cuts. Just move it to the right. Done.
nothing is done - sounds awfull and even more nonlinear this way/with treble knob fully right/, as some highs are boosted creating peak in frequency spectrum while the rest of highs above the peak is still filtered out...
TheoM wrote:
i care about the sound.. the wave arts actually sounds like farting, literally. It's awful.
you know I have commented only flat frequency response, not the whole sound...

Synthetic Wav wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
yeah i couldn t tell the difference with real tube amp but maybe my monitoring was not that good and my ears not as trained as today at that time.. if there was a difference both sounded very good and close on the source i compared them.(very light )

the sound is rarely articulated like hardware thought, it s more rigid but some plugs nail the depth and 3d, just not how it handle the transients , the overall dynamic/compression/limiting behavior is not the same and it s really far to feel real the more it s pushed the more it s obvious.
but after it depends, i had a api channel strip and the sound was far from getting more juicy when pushed but insteed brittle that remind me some plugs ( still a amazing piece of gear i dont want to mean it s crap)
This is it man... As you said, once it's pushed it just looses the vibe and sounds more digital. But used lightly it's a decent little tool.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

DevilLoc:

1) limiter, ratio 1:50, attack 1ms, release 30-250 ms depending on threshold/reduction, reduction 12-30 dB (I use ReaComp, RMS at 0ms)
2) tube saturation (Voxengo TubeAmp)

This got me pretty close to the original.

Both are basically saturators/color devices. You should look at these:

1.- Fabfilter Saturn
2.- Elysia Karacter by plug in alliance
3.- NI Supercharger GT
4.- Klangheim SDRR
dedication to flying

The dead shall rise!

D16´s Frontier Limiter can do some good things on drums, too.
http://d16.pl/frontier and it´s free :D
The average bored guy

PSP MixSaturator is long in the tooth, but still very good too.
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/psp_mix ... re/details

rod_zero wrote:Both are basically saturators/color devices. You should look at these:3.- NI Supercharger GT
I love this plugin. Really gritty, but doesn't sound too digital to me.

I have the CM version of Audiothing's Valve Exciter, that might be worth checking out. Pretty affordable too.

https://www.audiothing.net/effects/valve-exciter/

That it is just a saturating device is a misconception. The most part of the sound of DevilLoc is created by the limiter. There is a reason why it has 1ms attack and -30dB GR. It means that the frequencies above cca 1000Hz will pass as transients 30 dB louder than the squashed rest. The saturator in the next stage is not so much important.

Return to “Effects”