Roland Jupiter-8 for a ridiculous price

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: I really can't see how someone necessarily would need this to make a living though.
Then you probably don't work in music for a living and understand deadlines.

If the real thing provides you with the necessary inspiration to get a cue finished then you really need it. I (for example) find zero inspiration when using plugins, I find they empty my mind of all creativity. Others are fine with them.

When I switch my hardware synths on, stuff happens.

Sure you can make tunes with plugins, and I get the appeal, but people are different.

Just because you have no experience with something it doesn't make it irrelevant.

Your logic is there's no point in playing football because of Fifa on the Playstation.

Ok, but let's pretend you hardly make a living with what you do. And need to buy a ten thousand Euro synth to get "inspiration". That will have a major impact on your "living". And it's a question whether you may, or may bet not be able to at least come close enough with Diva, or Arturia's Jupiter. Anyway, not my cup of tea, and, frankly, i'd never buy such a limited synth for that money. Fair enough if others do, why not. People buy Porsche's or Ferrari's too.

chk071 wrote:Ok, but let's pretend you hardly make a living with what you do. And need to buy a ten thousand Euro synth to get "inspiration". That will have a major impact on your "living". And it's a question whether you may, or may bet not be able to at least come close enough with Diva, or Arturia's Jupiter. Anyway, not my cup of tea, and, frankly, i'd never buy such a limited synth for that money. Fair enough if others do, why not. People buy Porsche's or Ferrari's too.
Ty Unwin bought a $50k Moog recently.
Why?
a) because he can;
b) because he makes a living from it;
c) because he prefers hardware over plugins;
d) because he prefers the real deal.

If he paid $10k for a JP8 nobody would really blink TBH.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Sure, if you can afford it. I'd buy a Virus Polar too if i could afford one. But that's really another league, i mean it can do a lot more than Jupiter, and even only costs 1/5 of what is asked for a Jupiter. And i really fail to see what's so exciting about its sound that it would justify that kind of expense. IMO. YMMV. And stuff.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
sfd wrote:How much money you have is irrelevant to how much something is worth.

A glass of milk isn't worth $10k - no matter if the cow was milked by Bob Moog himself.
If somebody wants it bad enough it is.
Mmm...not really.

Price (in this case - for what you could sell a glass of milk from a Bob Moog milked cow to whatever somebody was willing to pay) is not equal to worth.

chk071 wrote:Sure, if you can afford it. I'd buy a Virus Polar too if i could afford one. But that's really another league, i mean it can do a lot more than Jupiter, and even only costs 1/5 of what is asked for a Jupiter. And i really fail to see what's so exciting about its sound that it would justify that kind of expense. IMO. YMMV. And stuff.
Well yes precisely.

All it takes is one Ty to be in the market for a JP8 for it to sell. So if you're the owner why not just list it (whilst using it) and wait for him to come along.

sfd wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:

A glass of milk isn't worth $10k - no matter if the cow was milked by Bob Moog himself.
Mmm...not really.

Price (in this case - for what you could sell a glass of milk from a Bob Moog milked cow to whatever somebody was willing to pay) is not equal to worth.
To the acquirer yes it is.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
chk071 wrote:Sure, if you can afford it. I'd buy a Virus Polar too if i could afford one. But that's really another league, i mean it can do a lot more than Jupiter, and even only costs 1/5 of what is asked for a Jupiter. And i really fail to see what's so exciting about its sound that it would justify that kind of expense. IMO. YMMV. And stuff.
Well yes precisely.

All it takes is one Ty to be in the market for a JP8 for it to sell. So if you're the owner why not just list it (whilst using it) and wait for him to come along.
I really wished i got into this hobby earlier, then i might have some "classic" analog gear by now, and could score some good prices. The question is though if i would want to part with it now anyway. :D

chk071 wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Well yes precisely.

I really wished i got into this hobby earlier, then i might have some "classic" analog gear by now, and could score some good prices. The question is though if i would want to part with it now anyway. :D
I have often wondered that myself.

If I did have a room full of classic boxes would I sell or keep them at these crazy prices? Who knows.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
sfd wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:

Mmm...not really.

To the acquirer yes it is.
There are many more parameters to define worth then just a single subjective aspect.

Even so - Anyone who really want something, a meal or a synth, simply don't have much of a choice other then to pay whatever the price is. This doesn't necessarily mean you think it's worth the price.

Happens all the time. People think things aren't worth whatever the prices are. They complain about high prices but buy the stuff anyway because they want/need it.
Last edited by sfd on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

sfd wrote:Even so - Anyone who really want something, a meal or a synth, simply don't have much of a choice other then to pay whatever the price is. This doesn't necessarily mean you think it's worth the price.
Of course there's a choice.

Pot noodles vs McDonalds vs Michelin Star.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
sfd wrote:Even so - Anyone who really want something, a meal or a synth, simply don't have much of a choice other then to pay whatever the price is. This doesn't necessarily mean you think it's worth the price.

In what case in which there's a supply of $1 dollar hamburgers would somebody valuate oene for $10k ?

sfd wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:

In what case in which there's a supply of $1 dollar hamburgers would somebody valuate oene for $10k ?
Are you deliberating being obtuse?
Are you inferring pot noodles are the same as a michelin star meal?

There were only around 2000 Jupiter 8's made so demand is quite high compared to the supply.

I really liked it when I had a chance to play on one. It's one of the nicest sounding poly synths I've had the pleasure of playing. I'd pay the asking price if I could afford it.

Diva might come close on some sounds , but the actual user experience is completely different.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
sfd wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:

Are you deliberating being obtuse?
Are you inferring pot noodles are the same as a michelin star meal?
Ah, you mean that if I want a michelin star meal I don't have a choice?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”