How to tell the host that the parameter names have changed?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey folks,

still struggling with one thing - in some plugins the parameter names are changing. So it is usually ok to reload the project and the names will be reflected, but that's not exactly ideal :D. Is there a way to tell the host "parameter names have changed, update!"? Mainly VST and VST3 I suppose.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Hey folks,

still struggling with one thing - in some plugins the parameter names are changing. So it is usually ok to reload the project and the names will be reflected, but that's not exactly ideal :D. Is there a way to tell the host "parameter names have changed, update!"? Mainly VST and VST3 I suppose.
No reliable way I've found, for VST2 at least. It may be possible using VST3 or AU but I highly doubt it. Either plugins seem to have a separate parameter for each different case, or have a bunch of generic numbered parameters that are only "named" inside the plugin. Since these plugins often have a lot of parameters, hosts only seem to collect the names once the user browses the parameter automation list thus plugins that dynamically change the names may get away with it in these cases, as the user usually is settled with a preset at this point

I thought so. But I'm thinking if there isn't some extension. I have info that UVI Falcon with Studio One can do that. (I couldn't check myself though)
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

in VST we use
bool AudioEffectX::updateDisplay()

No VST3 version for Falcon.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Interesting, thank you for the info!!
Vojtech

otristan wrote:in VST we use
bool AudioEffectX::updateDisplay()

No VST3 version for Falcon.
Have you found this to work always? I seem to remember most hosts ignore it

Not really, but seems working with some, better than nothing :D
Vojtech

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”