Is the Melda MTurboComp the last Compressor you will need?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Melda Productions just released the king of all Vintage compressor emulations called the MTurboComp.
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MTurboComp

Could this be the last compressor you will ever need?

If this faithfully recreates the characteristics that are known for SSL, API, 1176, LA2a, etc, then one should be able to mix anything with just this set. Will this force developers to start working on more "creative' type compressors as an end to the emulation wars has come? It would seem Melda is already in the fast lane with their 'creative' plug ins so this will be interesting.

I am still auditioning the fully functioning demo but have to say I really like the advanced metering and auditioning that you wont get from a 'picture perfect' emulation. I haven't been able to wrap my head around the lack of time display in miliseconds though, having to use 1-100% instead. Forces me to use my ears. Arrgh!

I agree about the millisecond thing, but that's a small problem considering how good and versatile this comp is. Not only is it a swiss army knife for compression, it also sounds amazing.

DrReacto wrote:If this faithfully recreates
That leaves a wide open doors for the next guy's marketing :)
I believe it's a great plugin and Melda definitely has a unique approach as far as features/interface/workflow
but I have already too many compressor plugins and I find that over time I rely on compression less and less.
And frankly, I never worked with a majority of HW comps being modelled, so why and how can I know if it's faithful or not?
Anyway, I'm sure this plugin is great, but this time I pass on (but it's likely that I will catch up some time later, and Melda does have great sales!).

DrReacto wrote:
Could this be the last compressor you will ever need?
no, presswerk already is :)

Chandlerhimself wrote:I agree about the millisecond thing, but that's a small problem considering how good and versatile this comp is. Not only is it a swiss army knife for compression, it also sounds amazing.
+1 on the versatility and quality.

The use of % is, I would think, because of the various parameters that are controlled by each multiparameter (the knobs on the Easy screen). So a straight time value may not be very meaningful. As DrReacto said "use your ears".

You could try :

Image >>> http://i.imgur.com/3Ftbc8s.png

On the Edit screen I opened each of the Compressor Multiparameters and changed the Value Mode to "By first parameter". We still get a % for Attack as it is controlling two parameters (Value and MaxValue) of another Multiparameter!

Please note that you can save this change as a new Preset but not as an Active Preset (those on the left-hand side).
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

yes it is the only compressor you'll ever need. like pro-q is the only equalizer, lexicon 224 is the ultimate reverb and marshall is the best guitar amp... ...oh wait... :wink:

at first the presets i could compare did not match the sound from hardware. i tried to recreate a vocal chain i've been using for years containing multiple different compressors. like meldaproduction wrote on their website "...emulation of more than a dozen classic compressors in a record time :). They don't sound exactly the same...". but thats the point. there are plugins that made me sell some of my hardware because they sound the same and gave me the feeling of the machine.

the second thing is the feeling and workflow. i couldnt care less if e.g. presswerk had a ui made with ms paint :D it doesnt represent a machine that awakens memories. but an analog emulation should do. especially for the ones who know the machines. and those are the target audience. i exactly know how to adjust a LA2A input gain/peak reduction to sound right or how to setup the ratio on an 1176. mturbocomp is a workflow killer to me with its percentage values. and i dont want to setup all the processors manually if there are other companies plugins that already did this for me perfectly.
the meldaproduction ui is a mess itself. we do not have to discuss it again. to me mturbocomp doesnt feel good compared to other emulations. it was made in short time and may be mathematical correct for some laboratory test-cases but it doesnt have the x factor and behaves different in real situations.

also i read several meldaproduction threads where they shot massive against analog emulation and all the developers who did it. they clearly said that emulating analog is not nessecary nor possible and just a move to make money. why the heck should i now trust in melda after that dick move and put my money there? :roll:

The name!! [insert facepalm] …any plugin with the word "turbo" in it is enough to scare people off really.
I own one Melda plugin, but every time i open it, my eyes bleed.

I have lots of compressors. I have multiple emulations of the same model by various vendors as well as purely digital compressors and some with a high degree of versatility. I also own a number of Melda plugins. the only thing stopping me from even bothering to try the demo is that my impressions of Melda are they don't really care for the whole analogue context of audio - I'm pretty sure I've read them poopoo analogue in general and plugins that model analogue. my impression is Melda is fixated on the idea that digital is the best thing for audio and analogue is simply old, archaiac and without value. So a) I am surprised they would bother with an analogue modelled plugin and b) have little confidence its actually any good.

Yes I will eventually try the demo but it takes time and effort to properly demo a plugin especially a compressor, which I don't have the moment and because of what I stated above, its a low priority. Other than that, I have no opinion of it. It might be amazing. I have lots of other amazing plugins.

And the $45US fee to transfer it if the time comes is, well, ridiculous.

Just sharing my perspective on this for those interested.
Last edited by plexuss on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I haven't played with this one yet. So far, I'd say DMG Compassion is the universal compressor of choice (adding saturation separately), but I'm a big fan of the transfer function approach of MDynamics.

Having tried to replicate the action of the Shure Level-loc with Compassion (it's a lot trickier than it looks as the Level-loc does really stupid things, in a good way), I'm going to try the same thing on this.

plexuss wrote: the only thing stopping me from even bothering to try the demo is that my impressions of Melda are they don't really care for the whole analogue context of audio - I'm pretty sure I've read them poopoo analogue in general and plugins that model analogue.
i think they are right do that as there is already many companies modelling analog gears

imo when digital and analog will reach the best quality these technology can offer they will both sound identical so if you follow this philosophie it s intresting to try to get the best digital sound it will be close to the sound of some high quality modern analog equipment that doesen t try to replicate vintage analog sound .
Last edited by Synthetic Wav on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

Soundplex wrote: like meldaproduction wrote on their website "...emulation of more than a dozen classic compressors in a record time :). They don't sound exactly the same...". but thats the point. there are plugins that made me sell some of my hardware because they sound the same and gave me the feeling of the machine.

My car's engine emulates that of a Ferrari - it doesn't have the same horsepower though... :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

plexuss wrote:I'm pretty sure I've read them poopoo analogue in general and plugins that model analogue. my impression is Melda is fixated on the idea that digital is the best thing for audio and analogue is simply old, archaiac and without value. So a) I am surprised they would bother with an analogue modelled plugin and b) have little confidence its actually any good.
i'm pretty sure this plugin isn't an analogue emulation. it's more like an idealized representation of what those analogue devices are meant to do, with all of the other stuff (saturation etc.) being optional and under your control. there's nothing analogue about this plugin. so think of it as e.g. an "emulation" of a hardware compressor, whose component tolerances are approaching zero down to a hundredth' decimal point.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:
plexuss wrote:I'm pretty sure I've read them poopoo analogue in general and plugins that model analogue. my impression is Melda is fixated on the idea that digital is the best thing for audio and analogue is simply old, archaiac and without value. So a) I am surprised they would bother with an analogue modelled plugin and b) have little confidence its actually any good.
i'm pretty sure this plugin isn't an analogue emulation. it's more like an idealized representation of what those analogue devices are meant to do, with all of the other stuff (saturation etc.) being optional and under your control. there's nothing analogue about this plugin. so think of it as e.g. an "emulation" of a hardware compressor, whose component tolerances are approaching zero down to a hundredth' decimal point.
Melda's top-line description says "MTurboComp is the ultimate (not-only) compressor, which emulates most of the classic vintage analogue compressors." Emulates analogue compressors.

Chandlerhimself wrote:I agree about the millisecond thing, but that's a small problem considering how good and versatile this comp is. Not only is it a swiss army knife for compression, it also sounds amazing.

click Edit on top to see milisecond and others settings
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

plexuss wrote:Melda's top-line description says "MTurboComp is the ultimate (not-only) compressor, which emulates most of the classic vintage analogue compressors." Emulates analogue compressors.
yes, but Melda obvious means it in a different way. it's "emulating" analogue compressors in the same way DAW workflow "emulates" working with tape - it's modeling the concept behind it, not necessarily its inner workings.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Return to “Effects”