Is the Melda MTurboComp the last Compressor you will need?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought Pro-C 2 was the last compressor I would need, and I sold it to get Presswerk.

Tried this one just in case it would make me switch from Presswerk, and... nah.

Burillo wrote:
plexuss wrote:Melda's top-line description says "MTurboComp is the ultimate (not-only) compressor, which emulates most of the classic vintage analogue compressors." Emulates analogue compressors.
yes, but Melda obvious means it in a different way. it's "emulating" analogue compressors in the same way DAW workflow "emulates" working with tape - it's modeling the concept behind it, not necessarily its inner workings.
Uh. Ok. I'll stick with my current compressor line up. :neutral:

i gave it a short try playing with it 15 minutes and it seems really nice...you can go really deep under the hood and make crazy artistical stuff with it , got some wicked sound . ( just for fun not really the kind of stuff you would use in traditionnal music )

i don't care much about specific analog emulation i tweaked from the plugin all at default setting trying to get good sound a drum loop it totally smoked one emulation i have (i won t name it ), not even close , it s seems there is good potential.

i have way too much plugins compressor but have to check if i can replace some with this
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

ssl emu smoked too by turbocomp on the drum bus.. same using turbocomp default compressor setting and tweaking till it smoke the ssl, not really a test of which comp is the best ssl emu..it s probably not the melda ..but flexibilty will always win vs these limited design with few attack and release choice..you have to be very lucky to be right in the sweet spot , something sounding equaly as good and more flexible can only give better result in many occasion if you don't screw the sound.
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

click Edit on top to see milisecond and others settings
Good find, I wonder if a preference could be made to allow ms to show on the main screen as well instead of percentages.

Agreed it wont drive a replacement for those used to working with the actual hardware since the knobs are not the same, but for somebody that just wants the harmonics associated with putting an 1176 on drums or the snappiness of an API it might do the trick. You obviously have the added highpassing and control over saturation, not sure if that controls all of it though. Is there still an internal saturation to the preset type that can't be defeated?

Metering is good and I found it very interesting to set the parameters by engaging the 'Difference' button. Not used to that but made it easy to hear what its doing.

Im fine if Melda changes their mind about analog. A car lot could say their chevy trucks are the best vehicle on the road until they pick up a Jeep dealership. I used to despise FM synthesis after using the DX7 (many years ago) until I heard the Yamaha TX81z.

No doubt Melda is innovative. Their gui may not be for everybody. But I recall Schep's Parallel Particles got a lot of flack for his gui but it sounds great and saves time setting up busses. I especially will choose tools based on Workflow it affords me, so I'm still trying to see if % vs ms work for me. But ultimately the sound quality that I can achieve is priority 1 followed by workflow of course.

I am seeking an SSL style buss compressor (sound) that has a high pass filter. Cytomic The Glue seems an obvious choice as I know many KVR users will agree. It just works and sounds good. But mTurboComp also has a couple of emulations that may do the trick, plus the added features of other compressor "Styles" and awesome metering. Perhaps there should have been a Mlue or GlueM preset.

Have any other users tried it on 2buss?

foosnark wrote:I thought Pro-C 2 was the last compressor I would need, and I sold it to get Presswerk.

And with Presswerk there is not transfer fee if you decide to sell the license. You'd on the hook for $45US to transfer the melda compressor.

plexuss wrote:And with Presswerk there is not transfer fee if you decide to sell the license. You'd on the hook for $45US to transfer the melda compressor.
That's why I have a few other Melda plugins that I thought I would like, didn't wind up using, but it's just not worth it to resell (especially with their rotating 50% off sales).

I do really like MTransformer and MCharacter though :)

Nvmnd

Could this be the last compressor you will ever need?
There is no such thing.

All virtual vst creations - without regard to their quality - are merely modern toys for grownup kids who produce music.

We consume them... then after some time, we move to our next toy.

Yes, they are like toys for sure.

DrReacto wrote:I wonder if a preference could be made to allow ms to show on the main screen as well instead of percentages.
Please see my reply on page 1 on this thread.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

No.. you can never have enough compressors. You never know quite what they're going to do to a source. I like to have a lot of choice.

Unfortunately I've never been much impressed with any Melda stuff - I found the freebie compressor to be amongst the worst I've used - reminded me of reacomp.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

plexuss wrote:
foosnark wrote:I thought Pro-C 2 was the last compressor I would need, and I sold it to get Presswerk.

And with Presswerk there is not transfer fee if you decide to sell the license. You'd on the hook for $45US to transfer the melda compressor.
Yes, but with MTurboComp you have free-for-life updates and unlimited number of machines, I know you know that and you know why is it that way then ;).

As for GUI, it's not for everyone, it's clinical, when you get used to it, it's extremely fast and same for all plugins, but it just doesn't look like the hardware, so that may be a problem. Everyone likes something else, that's just how it is ;).

As for units - it's in percents for a reason - the original units on the original pieces of hardware are nonsense, they are just wrong. So why confuse users with that ;). The goal was to make all comps controlled the same way, and it's quite a success.

Anyways I think that if you want to discuss this, you should just try the MTurboComp and maybe you'll like it, and maybe not, but if you don't try, you won't know ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

do_androids_dream wrote:No.. you can never have enough compressors. You never know quite what they're going to do to a source. I like to have a lot of choice.

Unfortunately I've never been much impressed with any Melda stuff - I found the freebie compressor to be amongst the worst I've used - reminded me of reacomp.
What's wrong with Reacomp ?

MeldaProduction wrote: As for units - it's in percents for a reason - the original units on the original pieces of hardware are nonsense, they are just wrong. So why confuse users with that ;). The goal was to make all comps controlled the same way, and it's quite a success.
This is definitely true for the most part, however it's also because of different ways of measure when a parameter's value has occurred/terminated.

I think you'd have much happier users if you found a way to communicate what you've said here in the interface.

Return to “Effects”