Reading drum sample names

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, everyone

I found a freebie snare sample library, which actually has a lot of really good samples in it. I'd like to use it more actively - but it's cumbersome, since all the different samples are all in one folder. Flams, rim shots, press rolls, you name it.

Now, I would like to organize them in folders according to type. I understand some of the abbreviations used in the sample names (FL, RM, PR i.e.), but definitely not all of them. I'm not really a drummer, so I'm a little behind when it comes to drum technique. That's why I'd like to ask you: is there a generic drum sample name standard, that these names refer to? Where can I find it, so as to decode the names and organize them properly without having to listen through litteraly hundreds and hundreds of samples?

I attached a screen shot of some of the samples' names to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Niels
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There is no "United Nations Drum Sample Naming Committee Standard Naming Convention Documentation Suite V1.00 (1989)" (1989, as it'd have to be back then to have come up with names like these...) Or any other standard. Good names are things like "{kit piece}-{piece articulation}-{velocity range}-{round robin}.{format}". That way they sort nicely :).

These are very poorly named... It's been a long time since a computer OS prevented sensible length names being used and required weird conventions like that. Oh, and get a text list of the names -- far easier than an image to do text analysis from!

Anyway, here's my guesses... So it's a snare library... That helps a little. Snare number "05" perhaps. The "BZ", "FL", "LO", "LI" and "LR" could be "buzz roll", "flam", "outer" (?), "inner" (?) and "rim" hits. The "SNR", "LO" and "HI" after that look like mic positions (snare mic, low overhead mic, high overhead mic). The "M" and "C" I'm not sure on - two mics? The numbering for SNR{n}{M/C} could be round robin. The trailing "-L" and "-R" on the SNR{n}C samples might indicate both left- and right-hand samples have been captured - although it could well be a split stereo pair if these are mono samples (the more likely as the "LO", "LI", "LR" may well mean the "left" hand sample). The "" I'd guess to be "soft" for velocity range.

I'd be tempted to simply bin the sample set and not bother mapping them myself unless the quality is really good.

What was the original set name? Was there by any chance a .sfz file in the archive?
Because the .sfz could contain everything you need!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Hi, both of yous!

Thanks so much for the replies. I don't remember the original sample pack name - and there definitely wasn't any .sfz file. I think I'll take your suggestion, pljones, and just throw it overboard. In a simple calculation of expenses per working hours, it simply doesn't make sense not to shell out for a small sample library instead.

Thanks so much for the help! :-)

Best, Niels

If you have Kontakt I messed about with some CC snare sounds...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dly03 ... radise.nki

Creative Commons Attribution: Sandyrb

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”