Ableton vs Maschine

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ive-a-gott'n used to Ableton as an all-rounder and beat creation tool. But every now and zen I see clips on Maschine and wonder if I should pull Z trigger on dat.

Given Ableton has the quickest workflow would Maschine really improve there? As Ableton users has Maschine changed your life in anyway?

With Live 9.7 coming and Push 2, I don't have any desire to get Maschine. It's everything I need and more to create beats and sequencing.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

better get Push and have a HW like workflow.
dedication to flying

I have Ableton and Maschine. I currently have both Maschine Mikro and Studio. I like the drum pads of both, but don't care for using hardware to do things like edit notes/arrangements. That can be done on Studio, but it's tedious.

For me, Maschine is a great drumpad controller, and has a great library of sounds.

I have gone back and forth internally on if those 2 things are enough for me to warrant keeping Maschine. At present, it is, but the reality is I don't actually need "more sounds"

Maschine tends to regain consideration of being sold when I have a bout of reverse GAS = SAG (Selling Ancillary Gear).

Sorry if that's not exactly on target with your question - just thought I'd chime in.

You can see from my signature I have Maschine MkII and Push 2 along with Ableton. The controllers are as different as the software associated with them. However you can get similar results with both.

If I was an Ableton user and did not have a Push 2, and was wondering about scoring with Maschine, I would do better to get the Push 2...only from the perspective of adding a great hardware workflow to a fantastic piece of software.

Maschine is where I build many of my percussion and background movements which I then use from within Ableton. I like the editing style of both, though Maschine 2 software STILL leaves a lot to be desired and desperately needs a better way to interface with your DAW!

Thanks for your feedback.
I struggle to get enough velocity feel with my trigger finger pro pads so I was looking at Maschine more for that. I was just curious about its other software related features and how well they integrate in Ableton.

Like others I have more than enough drum samples. I was also looking at the Akai MPD range which have similar velocity sensitivity, but from what I can gather the rubber is slightly harder and Maschine is soft. TFP is hard too and after a few hours of play my fingers dont like it. But as I said it's more the lack of sensitivity.

MPD is a cheaper option by about $200 but Maschine is pretty much the industry standard as far as midi pads go. Just wondering if its dependent on the software and how well it works without.

You haven't broke the Trigger finger pro in yet then, It is just as sensitive as Maschine MKII at least, neither of them are as sensitive as the Akai Studio.
Trigger finger Pro made my fingers hurt like f**k for months, i even got others in to smash it about a bit, and reality here is that it is much better build quality than either the Maschine or Akai Studio ;)
Duh

Within Ableton, I usually put the velocity MIDI effect in front of the drums within the track, usually opting for the 127 (full velocity) one. In this way, any amount of trigger on the drum pad produces full velocity within Ableton. Yes, I lose the ability to trigger softer samples.

But, you can play around with that MIDI effect, and adjust it, so that you have a proper sensitivity to fit your needs.

It's really a godsend to me. Maschine does have an adjustment for velocity, but doesn't an option for producing full velocity on any trigger amount.
Kinh wrote:Thanks for your feedback.
I struggle to get enough velocity feel with my trigger finger pro pads so I was looking at Maschine more for that. I was just curious about its other software related features and how well they integrate in Ableton.

Like others I have more than enough drum samples. I was also looking at the Akai MPD range which have similar velocity sensitivity, but from what I can gather the rubber is slightly harder and Maschine is soft. TFP is hard too and after a few hours of play my fingers dont like it. But as I said it's more the lack of sensitivity.

OzoneJunkie wrote: Maschine does have an adjustment for velocity, but doesn't an option for producing full velocity on any trigger amount.
In Maschine, set Scale velocity = 0% and you have full velocity on all hits.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Bioethical Genome Modification.

liv wrote:
OzoneJunkie wrote: Maschine does have an adjustment for velocity, but doesn't an option for producing full velocity on any trigger amount.
In Maschine, set Scale velocity = 0% and you have full velocity on all hits.
Nice one! Thanks :)

OzoneJunkie wrote:Within Ableton, I usually put the velocity MIDI effect in front of the drums within the track, usually opting for the 127 (full velocity) one. In this way, any amount of trigger on the drum pad produces full velocity within Ableton. Yes, I lose the ability to trigger softer samples.

But, you can play around with that MIDI effect, and adjust it, so that you have a proper sensitivity to fit your needs.

It's really a godsend to me. Maschine does have an adjustment for velocity, but doesn't an option for producing full velocity on any trigger amount.
Kinh wrote:Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, pretty cool tip.

Well, I can't compare it to Ableton, but I bought Maschine Mikro and I HATE IT. I fussed with it for a week and then put it back in its box and shelved the damn thing.

I bought into the hype, which is excessive and grandiose to say the least. The hardware feels nice and it's pretty and all, but the software, OMG.

The Maschine software is MUCH harder to learn than they would lead you to believe, and having bought the Mikro, I was at a REAL disadvantage.

IF you are going to buy Maschine, ONLY get the really expensive, top of the line one, BECAUSE THAT is the one 95% of ALL Maschine tutorials are teaching you with/about. They would demonstrate feature after feature that had to be done an entirely different way on the Mikro, so the tutorials are worthless if you have the Mikro. For each thing they demonstrated, I would have to Google how I would do that same function on the Maschine Mikro. It got old really fast and I ditched the whole enterprise.

If you get anything but the top of the line Maschine, be prepared to take several MONTHS out of you life to MAYBE learn it. I don't have the patience for it. I only keep it because it came with Massive, which I love and if I sold it, it would just give me enough money to rebuy Massive, so there's no point. Yes, I have a Maschine Mikro as a paper weight. Native Instruments told me that if I wanted to resell it, I would HAVE TO include the software package that came with it. The whole experience really put me off of Native Instruments quite honestly.

IRBY wrote:Well, I can't compare it to Ableton, but I bought Maschine Mikro and I HATE IT. I fussed with it for a week and then put it back in its box and shelved the damn thing.
I'm with you on this, at least from the standpoint of one trying to use Mikro, just the controller, to try to make complete songs. Heck, even using the sofware, the Maschine 'DAW', I find cumbersome.

Again, it found its place for me when I just use it as a drumpad controller, and use the sounds the come within Maschine as I find them quite good. I can use the DAW well enough to lay down some beats, and then load Maschine into Live, and use those beats, perhaps rendering them to wave and then going from there.

But Maschine as its own separate entity, w/o Live? no thanks.

a korg padkontrol with Live and the nativekontrol script gives you everything maschine can do and much more. it's quite amazing.

http://www.nativekontrol.com/pKC_Series.html
there are some videos at the bottom, check it out. gets my utmost recommendation.
well worth hunting down a KPK just for that.

acYm wrote:a korg padkontrol with Live and the nativekontrol script gives you everything maschine can do and much more. it's quite amazing.

http://www.nativekontrol.com/pKC_Series.html
there are some videos at the bottom, check it out. gets my utmost recommendation.
well worth hunting down a KPK just for that.
What is the rubber like on the padkontrol? is it soft?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”