Does Mux take vst latency in account ?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
Does Mux take vst latency in account, for audio and automations ?
Cheers,
Louis

For audio you can insert "Pure Delay" modules where needed to ensure all paths through take the same time. What are you thinking of with "automations"?

MUX Modular Plug-In does not yet do auto PDC. But as pljones wrote there are ways to control it manually. Also note the "Edit VST Initial Delay" function in MUX Modular Plug-In's main menu so that you can report a vst delay time to the host, so the host can apply APDC, if it supports that.

Does Mux in the meantime do auto PDC? How can I find out the delay times of my vst's?

i think the nocturnal muse himself just told you the answer

modularreason wrote:Does Mux in the meantime do auto PDC?
No.
How can I find out the delay times of my vst's?
Right-click the VST or click the options button at the top of its editor -> Show Info -> Initial Delay.

So does this mean that using VSTI's inside MUX would impact the latency response of pre-recorded events versus having those same VSTI's outside of MUX? Thanks

MuX itself only adds latency if you ask it to.

Ok thanks although since PDC is not possible with MUX, is there a difference when playing back a plugin residing within MUX and the same outside of MUX (without any special intervention).

yul wrote:Ok thanks although since PDC is not possible with MUX,
As I said:
pljones wrote:you can insert "Pure Delay" modules where needed to ensure all paths through take the same time
yul wrote:is there a difference when playing back a plugin residing within MUX and the same outside of MUX (without any special intervention).
In terms of how long, in sample time, processing takes, no - MuX itself adds latency only if you ask it to. There's extra CPU usage, of course, as MuX code has to be executed in addition to the VST - I've no idea how small the amount is. Were you thinking of anything else?

pljones wrote:There's extra CPU usage, of course, as MuX code has to be executed in addition to the VST - I've no idea how small the amount is.
Applying a simple delay on an audio signal (like Pure Delay does) to compensate for a plugin's processing delay, uses very little cpu.

Thanks for your replies. I will try to rephrase :

Will there be an difference in timing between playing back midi using VST's in Mulab as opposed to having those same plugins residing inside MUX instead?

It seems like it would (hopefully not perceptible) since PDC cannot be applied to MUX.

It's no big deal really but it's nice to understand since I am using Virsyn which is 16 part multi timbral and knowing this could come in handy eventually.

Thanks!!

yul wrote:Will there be an difference in timing between playing back midi using VST's in Mulab as opposed to having those same plugins residing inside MUX instead?

It seems like it would (hopefully not perceptible) since PDC cannot be applied to MUX.
If you mean:
"If I am hosting a VST in a host that performs PDC for chains of VSTs, does enclosing one or more VSTs in MuX cause the host to fail to perform PDC accurately?"
then you'll need to ask about the host software. I don't know how hosts that perform PDC actually do it.

Return to “MUTOOLS”