Pianoteq 5 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pianoteq Studio Bundle

fisherKing wrote:have my macbook pro at a collab's place today (running thru her audio interface/monitors). she has a steinway grand, so... we compared. pianoteq is good, and great to play, but it does not sound real next to the steinway, it IS a little 'plastic'- sounding. it lacks the harmonic qualities, the 'wood' quality of the real piano (best i can describe it).
Which Pianoteq instrument were you using?

murnau wrote: It's a pleasure to play pieces of a certain decade with a piano(sound) it was written for.

You can of course use it for everything else with the right fx and mixing but that is not why i bought it.
Yeah, I was wondering if composing would be easier on piano's that great composers used :wink:

But I have to say that it's easier to write baroque pieces on the harpsichord addon of Pianoteq.

kiezum wrote:Yeah, I was wondering if composing would be easier on piano's that great composers used :wink:
I can confirm that it's unfortunately not easier. :lol:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

fisherKing wrote:have my macbook pro at a collab's place today (running thru her audio interface/monitors). she has a steinway grand, so... we compared. pianoteq is good, and great to play, but it does not sound real next to the steinway, it IS a little 'plastic'- sounding. it lacks the harmonic qualities, the 'wood' quality of the real piano (best i can describe it).
From your description it sounds like you compared the sound of Pianoteq played through monitors to the sound of Steinway grand sitting in the room. Is that correct? I suspect that monitors are not going to move the air in quite the same way as the strings and soundboard of a grand piano, regardless of what you are playing through them. Perhaps recording the piano and comparing the two sounds through the same monitors is about the best you are going to get to a straight comparison.

^^^^ Absolutely correct. Same thing with ampsims and real amps - you gotta compare the ampsim to the recorded real amp.

msl wrote:
From your description it sounds like you compared the sound of Pianoteq played through monitors to the sound of Steinway grand sitting in the room. Is that correct? I suspect that monitors are not going to move the air in quite the same way as the strings and soundboard of a grand piano, regardless of what you are playing through them. Perhaps recording the piano and comparing the two sounds through the same monitors is about the best you are going to get to a straight comparison.
It's like firing up a sampled orchester lib in Kontakt while listening to a real symphonic orchestra in the Royal Albert Hall? Makes not much sense does it? :D
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

After playing more and more with the demo over the last few days my impression hasn't, but one thing I think is important when comparing to other pianos is getting under the hood and tweaking. I find the presets a little bit plain in some cases. If I were to open it, select a few presets and compare to my favourite sampled piano(s) it sounds a bit flat, but it was only when I started to play with the action, voicing, soundboard settings that my opinion completely changed. I honestly think a lot of the naysayers, bearing in mind I was one, tend to base their opinions on minimal experimentation. Not all. It's fair enough that not everybody will have the same opinion, but I really do believe that if more people dug a little deeper their opinnions would shift considerably.

Twrogstudio wrote:After playing more and more with the demo over the last few days my impression hasn't, but one thing I think is important when comparing to other pianos is getting under the hood and tweaking. I find the presets a little bit plain in some cases. If I were to open it, select a few presets and compare to my favourite sampled piano(s) it sounds a bit flat, but it was only when I started to play with the action, voicing, soundboard settings that my opinion completely changed. I honestly think a lot of the naysayers, bearing in mind I was one, tend to base their opinions on minimal experimentation. Not all. It's fair enough that not everybody will have the same opinion, but I really do believe that if more people dug a little deeper their opinnions would shift considerably.
Damn right statement! :tu: :D

Giving the mint-worn slider a flick to the right will also work wonders for getting that "it's real" vibe.

I'm not really into Pianoteq for the pianos at all, what I like it for is to create new acoustic sounding instruments.

With Pro you even can map different parameter ranges to keys, e.g brighter in the bass notes, or make it sounds more like a prepared instrument. It's excellent for experimental music. The historical add-ons make for some interesting instruments when you modify them, but I read somewhere on the forum that the KVIR free instruments are maybe even better. The instruments are certainly well modeled, but Pianoteq is much more interesting than that.

I only hope that Pianoteq will bring out Ibach Expansion one day. :pray:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

asksol wrote:I'm not really into Pianoteq for the pianos at all, what I like it for is to create new acoustic sounding instruments.

With Pro you even can map different parameter ranges to keys, e.g brighter in the bass notes, or make it sounds more like a prepared instrument. It's excellent for experimental music. The historical add-ons make for some interesting instruments when you modify them, but I read somewhere on the forum that the KVIR free instruments are maybe even better. The instruments are certainly well modeled, but Pianoteq is much more interesting than that.
That's actually something I was wondering when I first learned about Pianoteq, how far can it be pushed? I'm no pianist, so I haven't really had a need for realistic piano sounds, but I do really love the idea of physically modeled sounds that don't sound like any actual instrument. Is there anywhere I can listen to someone using Pianoteq this way?

Chain the outputs of Pianoteq into the audio inputs of any effect (crusher, distortion, phaser, flanger...) or even of any synthesizer usable as effect meaning having audio inputs (FM8, MS-20, Synthmaster, XILS-3 or 4...) or into a vocoder (the free TAL-Vocoder for example) and have fun!

Tons of ideas can arise by experimenting that way...

Also look at these very interesting videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h56Qy-nZOOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVTF0iK9y08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idQrRBSpZ5w
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

RamblinWreck wrote:
asksol wrote:I'm not really into Pianoteq for the pianos at all, what I like it for is to create new acoustic sounding instruments.

That's actually something I was wondering when I first learned about Pianoteq, how far can it be pushed? I'm no pianist, so I haven't really had a need for realistic piano sounds, but I do really love the idea of physically modeled sounds that don't sound like any actual instrument. Is there anywhere I can listen to someone using Pianoteq this way?
this perhaps could (also) be a good base, if you allow me...

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/pianote ... /downloads

Here's an example of how can Pianoteq be pushed (all sounds here by Pianoteq):

http://users.telenet.be/deridderpiet.be ... Sounds.mp3

Return to “Instruments”