Kontakt best alternative?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Kontakt Best Alternative?

Plogue sforzando
13%
SampleTank
6%
ImageLine DirectWave
5%
Simple Plain Universal Sfz
8%
HighLife
1%
Shortcircuit
5%
ZamplerRX
1%
Wusikstation
3%
TX16Wx
11%
Sonic Charge Cyclone
No votes
CMPlay
No votes
motu mach5
11%
SF2
4%
Halion
13%
Alchemy
14%
Maize Sampler VSTi
6%

Total votes: 139

RELATED
PRODUCTS

hollowsun wrote: I am just saying that if you plan to sell in SFZ format, be prepared to be be ripped off, maybe big time. S'all.
But if that's ok with you, well... fair enough
There are ways to protect products which are based on SFZ (just look at our own products and Garritan's), but then you are locked to one engine vendor indeed.

But SFZ is just as much a future proof thing for casual users as it is for sample devs in my opinion. If your assets are originally in SFZ/wav (say before encryption - and you keep the originals), then you will always be able to modify, convert your instruments 50 years from now, as the specification is public.

To answer the "Where's the editor" question (and believe me I get that a lot), I can only answer that the sample developers I've been dealing with for the past 10 years while at first thrown off by the lack of interface, later realized that most of the tedious things can be scripted, find and replaced and batched to the point that efficiency is multiplied, not the other way around. I personally I can't imagine the how the Garritan Steinway or the new piano we are working on with its many thousands of regions (each having different EG and rt_decay coefficients) could have been made with a graphical editor alone.
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

hollowsun wrote:
SampleScience wrote:
hollowsun wrote:
SampleScience wrote:Expect a couple of new Sfz libraries in the coming months.
Expect to be severely pirated too! :?
Thank you for the support...
Look, I am not trying to be negative, arsey or difficult but I have been doing this for 30 years or more and I've seen sample formats come and go. SFZ is a pirate's paradise and I think pretty much all my stuff is out there in SFZ format (not that I should be advertising that, perhaps!).

I don't know but I suspect that because the player is free, everyone expects SFZ sounds to be free as well ... so people just take them and upload them to dodgy webshites or torrents as though it's fair game. It's a mentality problem perhaps.

I am just saying that if you plan to sell in SFZ format, be prepared to be be ripped off, maybe big time. S'all.

But if that's ok with you, well... fair enough

Stephen
It's alright, I was just being sarcastic. :wink: Sample making is a fun sideline for me. I do my best and I make product I want for myself before anything else. If other people are interested they can pay a small amount of money and get a nice library.

I already got a good job and I'm busy studying full time. I'll create my next library during the summer holidays. Piracy isn't cool but it's a problem virtual products have to face anyways. I would be very stressed if my income would depend on it! Believe me, I talk with sample developers on a regular basis and know how hard things can be in this business!

Keep up the good work! :hug:

yeah, like most of your customers i only buy stuff which isn't available as pirated version!

ps. just kidding.. :) ..and thank you for the faith in us!
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Cheers! :)

I have tried Maize Sampler, it is a very cool software but for some reason it doesn't load my saved projects, it just crash. I'm using the evaluation version and I'm not very confident in it so far. Anyone has this problem? I'm using two computers, one with Windows Vista an the other with Windows 7.

Most of the samplers I come across are mostly for kontakt or rex2 format, which would also make it stylus rmx. Those other ones on the list what format would they come in? Or are you more interest in the samplers capabilities other than kontakt?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Erm, just want to mention in here, there is also a "new" player out there in the sampler section:
Renoise Redux
https://www.renoise.com/products/redux

IMO the currently most powerful sampler VSTi out there. I think it can do lot more than Kontakt, for example. It's way more flexible, and it's gui easily outperforms any other sampler software. Though the product naming maybe could be a bit misleading...? :lol:

If you use samplers a lot, check this.

Kontakt is an apple. Redux is an orange. :)

You don't expect Redux to have quite the heavy multisampled and scripted libraries like you can in Kontakt, right? So the whole comparison is quite a bit off, as Redux caters to a very different method of working with samples...

A question asked earlier in this thread was "how much do Kontakt charge for a licence?"

Can anyone shed any light yet? Ball park?
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Depends on the number of licenses you order, I think minimum is 500. You cannot expect a license to cost $1 (it's not a single-digit number per license either - but the actual number depends on a variety of factors), so let your imagination go wild. :D

How time have changed. When I posted this thread I never expected to be a full time sample developer and here I am 2 years later making a living selling samples. :)

BigCat was spot on; Maize made plugins are very popular, even if they are ugly (:lol:) and Sfz is the best open format out there. So now I support these formats and plain "vanilla" Sf2, Reason NN-XT and Kontakt 4-5 (depending on the library).

I've never liked Kontakt, but it's an industry standard. So I don't have much choice there, especially as an independent developer. :neutral: I'm not sure how long its small text interface will last, and how long it'll have a fixed GUI width.

As for Sforzando, I should really dive in. It's open, free to the end user, it allows a UI to be build and it respect my ethics. I wish there were more video tutorials for it. TableWarp2 is a good little synth...

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”