Best entry-level DAW for singer-songwriter

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello folks, can you help me out?
Here's my objectives.

I want something that I can use as a composition tool. Something to where I can quickly get down song ideas and then build up with instruments so that I can get a rough idea of what it would sound like if I had a band backing me up.
So I need a DAW that has included VST instruments like bass, piano and other keyboards, drums, maybe some horns and strings. Nothing incredible, just something to get a rough idea. I need a DAW that allows me to construct drums parts as well. Notation capabilities would be great as well but not a deal breaker. Something for around 100-200 dollars.

In my research I came across two possible candidates. Fee free to offer more options.

It seems like Cubase 8 elements might have all I need. Can anyone vouch for that?
The other option I was thinking was Tracktion 5 free and a soundset like Sampletank SE for my instruments. I did fool around on Tracktion about eight years ago, so I do have a little bit of experience with working with a DAW

Any ideas?

I use two DAWs -- Reaper because it makes NINJAM painlessly easy and MuLab when I want to start something from scratch. On that basis, I'd suggest at least trying out MuLab (zero install demo available at http://www.mutools.com/mulab-downloads.html ).

Get Tracktion 5 (it's free, what's to lose?) since you're already vaguely familiar with its ancestor, but also demo REAPER, since it's not limited in demo mode- of course, it's kind of not fulfilling the included-instruments requirement, but for sketching out recorded audio, arrangements etc. it's great not to have crippleware- plus it's only $60 if you do bite the bullet. There's also Studio One 3 Artist which is $99, it does come with instruments and has gotten some pretty good reviews for workflow.

I'd made the mistake in 2011 of getting full-blown SONAR X1 after getting frustrated with the limitations of ACID and Cakewalk Music Creator 2003, and while the included instruments were very nice, the bugginess and clunkiness of trying to do basic things quickly put me off, so good on you for being smart enough to avoid the "big-$$ bundleware = problems solved" boondoggle ;)
Last edited by ccDuckett on Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Mixcraft is nice, friendly and solid, it comes with included instrument samples of decent quality as well as various plugins. It is easy to master, even for older people or newbies. Their online help forum is very responsive (unlike Steinberg's for instance) and there are frequent updates in the form of patches, i.e. no need to download and install the whole thing again.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Mixcraft is nice, friendly and solid, it comes with included instrument samples of decent quality as well as various plugins. It is easy to master, even for older people or newbies. Their online help forum is very responsive (unlike Steinberg's for instance) and there are frequent updates in the form of patches, i.e. no need to download and install the whole thing again.
I came across an article about entry-level DAW, and the guy was praising Mixcraft. Then I went to youtube and stumbled onto this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3U9zSglS2M

It has got me positively juiced about it. The video tutorials that you can access on their homepage (called Mixcraft University) alone blow me away. Just tons of videos about everything. It also has MIDI score capabilities and a crap-ton of instruments. Exactly what I'm looking for!
You also mention the robust help forum and updates.

I think I have made my choice. :D

Knute wrote:Hello folks, can you help me out?
Here's my objectives.

I want something that I can use as a composition tool. Something to where I can quickly get down song ideas and then build up with instruments so that I can get a rough idea of what it would sound like if I had a band backing me up.
So I need a DAW that has included VST instruments like bass, piano and other keyboards, drums, maybe some horns and strings. Nothing incredible, just something to get a rough idea. I need a DAW that allows me to construct drums parts as well. Notation capabilities would be great as well but not a deal breaker. Something for around 100-200 dollars.
You just described Logic Pro X, best bang for the buck DAW that exists, period. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Knute wrote:I came across an article about entry-level DAW, and the guy was praising Mixcraft. Then I went to youtube and stumbled onto this video

It has got me positively juiced about it. The video tutorials that you can access on their homepage (called Mixcraft University) alone blow me away. Just tons of videos about everything. It also has MIDI score capabilities and a crap-ton of instruments. Exactly what I'm looking for!

Yes, it is really great value :) I used to have the pro version, but downgraded to the standard version as I did not need the piano module, nor all the other additional plugins. The Izotope thingy is great to have, though. Putting it on the master track really makes a difference and might alone be worth the pro version.
I think they have promotions from time to time, so you can get the pro version cheaper.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Knute wrote:I came across an article about entry-level DAW, and the guy was praising Mixcraft. Then I went to youtube and stumbled onto this video

Yes, it is really great value :) I used to have the pro version, but downgraded to the standard version as I did not need the piano module, nor all the other additional plugins. The Izotope thingy is great to have, though. Putting it on the master track really makes a difference and might alone be worth the pro version.
I think they have promotions from time to time, so you can get the pro version cheaper.
Well the guy mentioned in that review video that you can get a discount if you are a student, which I am. Older guy going back to college. :D

So I looked into that, and I discovered this thing called academic pricing...lol. and I could get the Pro 7 for 99.00 bucks!
No brainer!

I'm stoked. Can hardly wait to get started.

Zexila wrote:
Knute wrote:Hello folks, can you help me out?
Here's my objectives.

You just described Logic Pro X, best bang for the buck DAW that exists, period. :tu:
Yeah. I've heard great things about that, but no Mac here sadly.

ccDuckett wrote:Get Tracktion 5 (it's free, what's to lose?) since you're already vaguely familiar with its ancestor, but also demo REAPER, since it's not limited in demo mode- of course, it's kind of not fulfilling the included-instruments requirement, but for sketching out recorded audio, arrangements etc. it's great not to have crippleware- plus it's only $60 if you do bite the bullet. There's also Studio One 3 Artist which is $99, it does come with instruments and has gotten some pretty good reviews for workflow.

I'd made the mistake in 2011 of getting full-blown SONAR X1 after getting frustrated with the limitations of ACID and Cakewalk Music Creator 2003, and while the included instruments were very nice, the bugginess and clunkiness of trying to do basic things quickly put me off, so good on you for being smart enough to avoid the "big-$$ bundleware = problems solved" boondoggle ;)
Right, that's what I want to avoid.
I don't want so huge a learning curve that I want to kick my computer and give up. That happened to me ten years ago when I first attempted to get into music production. It was one freakin' headache after another. I got so frustrated that I lost interest.
I figured things have improved since then and I'm willing to dive right in again.

pljones wrote:I use two DAWs -- Reaper because it makes NINJAM painlessly easy and MuLab when I want to start something from scratch. On that basis, I'd suggest at least trying out MuLab (zero install demo available at http://www.mutools.com/mulab-downloads.html ).
MuLab seems interesting. The article that I read mentioned it as a good entry-level DAW. Well, I've already jumped into Mixcraft, but yeah thanks for pointing it out.

Mulab would not be for you in my opinion. It has few built-in sounds and its operation is more complicated than Mixcraft. It doesn't come with VST's, either, but has built-in modules, which you either like or not. It is not nearly as complete and intuitive as Mixcraft.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Mulab would not be for you in my opinion. It has few built-in sounds and its operation is more complicated than Mixcraft. It doesn't come with VST's, either, but has built-in modules, which you either like or not. It is not nearly as complete and intuitive as Mixcraft.
Man, I just went through the basic quickstart video that opens up once you register your copy and it was great. I got to drop in some style-specific song clips, manipulate them a bit and then record a vocal and a midi track over that. It was fun and super easy. Mixcraft is awesome! I've already fallen in love with it. I had this huge grin on my face the whole time because It feels so good to be creating music without getting pissed..lol.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've made the right choice.

Tracktion +1
You may also check Serenade Workstation, which is good in entry-level
http://www.supremepiano.com/product/serenadedaw.html

$100-200 price range DAW for PC with a band built-in? You got some great suggestions here! I'm curious to know what you finally decide on. Recently, I discovered the current version of Sonar Pro has really come a long way and it's easier to use than before. I read the post about the guy with the X1 experience - It's much more powerful now and you can even customize the interface with the functions you find that you use the most, instead of searching for them hidden in menus. I don't use Sonar but I tried it out. I'd say, they pack a lot of features in the Pro version which makes it one of the few DAWs that gives you a lot of bang for your buck. I would suggest, at least, watching a video overview of it. Also...they offer monthly payments until you own it...and it's super super inexpensive. On a side note, Sonar now includes Melodyne. Since you sing, it could be to your advantage to have a tool like that. No other DAW gives that away.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”