MDrummer - Usability enhancements for drum kit browsing/management

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really love the sample import and kit generation features of MDrummer, but think the user experience would be much improved with a few small tweaks.

For example, after importing my Maschine library I ended up with almost 7000 kits (in addition to 23,000 from other libraries). After hours of browsing, I have a few simple suggestions that would make the process way smoother.

1) Many kits can instantly be identified as unusable, so we should be able to delete them right from the quick setup kit selector window. The delete key, or a delete button with a keyboard shortcut would be perfect. With so many kits to go through the most basic functions need to be immediately accessible.

2) There should be dice button to select a random kit from the list. Most other Melda plugins have this, and going through a list of 7000 kits sequentially is very tedious. Also, when returning later it's hard to remember where you left off, especially with many similar looking kit names. I'd much rather browse randomly, deleting the useless kits as I come across them, and saving the good ones, which bring up the next point:

3) A favorites system using the heart icon (like MXXX) would allow marking good kits with one click. Currently, we need to open the save window and browse to the folder we wish to save the kit to each time. The last folder is not remembered, nor is the tree list status. Also, while the kit name is highlighted, it does not have focus and needs to be clicked before it can be changed.

Open save window, scroll to folder, expand tree, click on name field, rename, save. This is unnecessarily frustrating when a single click to favorite would serve the same purpose. In the context of hundreds or thousands of kits every additional step is compounded.

4) 75+ character kit names isn't very user friendly. Having an option to name randomized kits sequentially based on the parent folder would be preferable in my opinion. I'd rather have "Maschine Kit 586" than "Kick+Kick1991SceneR3+SnareAR60sLateV5+SnareKonden1+TaikoRim3+SideStickHarsh". Not only would it show better in the browser, but it's easier to remember when returning to the kit list. The kits also wouldn't need renaming when favoriting/saving.

Other suggestions:
5) Lock samples in drum list. Most of the time random kits have a few elements I really like, and others I don't. It would be great to able to lock the elements I like, then select different kits to replace those I don't. This would make it easy to combine a few random kits into one really good one.

6) MIDI activity indicator in the drum list to know which samples are being triggered without going back and forth to the mixer. An activity indicator only needs to be a few pixels, and there is enough free space for solo beside the mute checkbox.

7) Sample vendors have different naming conventions and usually need to be manually changed. Having presets for the drum type keywords would streamline the process when analyzing different sources (for example I could save presets for Sample Magic or Samplephonics and could import new libraries far faster).

8) Small bug: the autoload setting for drum kits is not saved with the DAW session, nor when duplicating the plugin (at least in Reaper).

Thanks for the consideration! :tu:

Thanks!
I'll check the comments when possible, not promising anything yet, but some of the stuff should be possible ;)
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

AtomOfScent wrote:
Other suggestions:
5) Lock samples in drum list. Most of the time random kits have a few elements I really like, and others I don't. It would be great to able to lock the elements I like, then select different kits to replace those I don't. This would make it easy to combine a few random kits into one really good one.
You might know this but in Quick Setup/ Designer you can lock individual drumtypes then generate other types.

MeldaProduction wrote:Thanks!
I'll check the comments when possible, not promising anything yet, but some of the stuff should be possible ;)
Awesome! I imagine you're really busy with new plugins (MTurboComp, MBassador, MRevolution) that it's hard to go back to your very first plugin. :lol:

You might know this but in Quick Setup/ Designer you can lock individual drumtypes then generate other types.
Thanks, I had overlooked that. The only issue is the lock is limited to the designer window. When choosing a new kit in the selector window the locked drums are replaced. I could try randomizing the samples I don't like, but really prefer them to come from the same sample library, not be synths or factory components.

Hehe yeah, waaay toooo busy :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

AtomOfScent wrote: I could try randomizing the samples I don't like, but really prefer them to come from the same sample library, not be synths or factory components.
Bearing in mind that: 1/ The drumset generator all over MD is based on the library of components,

and 2/ With the 'Analyse and import sample library' feature you can (as well as creating saved drumsets in Drumsets/Imported) choose to automatically create saved components (which will end up in Drumsets/ Components/ Drumtype/ Imported),

and 3/ In Menu/ Global Settings you can tweak with keywords the Drumset generator settings to Include, Exclude or Prefer certain components;

perhaps a way to partially achieve what you want would be to Include and/or Prefer with the keyword "Imported".

Thanks for that. I recently figured out the keyword thing when I discovered a bunch of generated kits containing loops, but I'll try adding "imported" to my preferred keywords. :)

Return to “MeldaProduction”