A plugin with bypass to host a plugin without bypass

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's a weird story, I know.
This world of plugins developed with no guidelines and lack of standard is bringing plugins that have a native bypass control and many which don't. The developers who don't offer a bypass in their plugins say that this should be found in the host sostware.
At the same time there are host softwares which don't have bypass in the plugin container because think it would be redundant as they think each plugin developer should offer this option in the plugin itself.

Well, I'm so lucky to be using a host without native bypass and some plugins without it either.

It's easy to bypass the effect of course: dry=100%.
unfortunately this solution won't release cpu when the plugin is not used, which is what I really need.

Ao I was thinking to put those plugins in a host that is a plugin itself and which, of course, has a bupass function.
This might increase latency and cpu weight, but I think it's worth trying.

Any advice for such a plugin to host plugins?

my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Great, thank you!

unguitar wrote: Well, I'm so lucky to be using a host without native bypass and some plugins without it either.
May I ask which host that it is you use?

Of course, I use Audiomulch

Thank you very much, good to know...

mcompare is perfect for this since it'll even keep the input and output volume the same.l

can mcompare host a vst?

sorry...wrong plugin named... I meant Contra by Audio Vitamins. Will host VST and allow you to turn them on an off. Why can't your sequencer do this? ...but no volume gimmick. my bad

In BWS and Live you can switch on/off the power for each plug by its dedicated button (in the daw-plug-view), yes its than really bypassed without nearly nothing CPU. You can even remote this buttons! In BWS you can also power-off a whole track (all instruments + plugs)!

I cant imagine thatin the year 2016 DAWs outside which can not handle it by native-support????

The only missing think that some worse coded plugs have: They dont get automatically bypassed if the DAW is not running! And to link the DAW-run/stop with the GENERAL DAW-power off is in praxis not a good idea, cause it produces crackles and take same time by waking up!

I´m a dev, and i know its mostly only an afternoon-work to implement a run/stop-no-CPU-bypass into the plug.
So, write the developer and wish this! Keep in mind a run/stop-cpu-bypass will take some cpu-cycles before complete awaken, so it can happen that the first note (the first sample-cycles) after start are getting lost/will not processed.
This is, except laziness, the reason cause some dev dosnt implement a run/stop.

To avoid this start-artefacts, its on the DAW-dev: They only have to create an explizit start-delay which is long enough to awaken all plugs, but this delay should ONLY work at the start-moment and dosnt influence the general "run" latency-settings!

Its also only an afternoon-work for the DAW-dev, but without hundreds of user-wsihes, they will maybe never implement this!

Its the same like a latancy-switch-button: mostly i´m in edit mode in dosnt need a short latency, so i run the DAW with 2056 samples.
But if i have an idea and want to record a sketch i want the shortest latency as possibly. Unfortunately i have to go a long way via options/audio... to switch the latency and after record i have to go this way again.
Just one Button, to switch between 2 latency-settings would save so many mouse-ways... but no DAW-dev understand this :-(

They allways needs hundreds of user-wishes!

pardon me, what is Bws?

;-)
Bit-Wig-Studio, the best DAW i know,-)

Return to “Effects”