One Synth Challenge #90: Helm by Matt Tytel (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Helm

doctorbob wrote:Thanks, got them! Quite like what I had got to already. I added some noise into the equation and modulated the OSC Xmod with an lfo (just a little). Still have a lot of refining to do, but in the end, it's not gonna be great with this synth (a crash that is - hehe). Still have about 30 tracks of sound design to get on with as well. Got a pretty good sounding set of toms - nicely tuned, although I say so myself - interesting to see what people think, irrespective of the track (of course!!).

Thanks again for your help and input. It's all gotta help eh?

Cheers,

dB
cool
Yeah It would take quite a few layers and a fair amount of DSP to get a realistic cymbal sound out of Helm.
I'm quite happy with some of the pad and keyboard type sounds that can be had though

Huh, haha, that's funny. I've just about 2 minutes ago made a really interesting cymbal, but was going to lament about how some sounds use tremendous amounts of processing time, while others of similar complexity don't. I can't really pinpoint it, yet.

It seems like using input sources like Velocity on things like Envelopes create intense spikes. Using Noise appears to create spikes. Using extreme feedback look like doing it, too. Mind you, all of this is without having any effects on!

So, yeah, I just can't tell what it is, but I'm really, really struggling with unexplained processing demands. :shrug:
I have animation off, by the way.

I'm using v0.8.6. Is anything known about processing improvements from that version to a newer version?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Here's my entry for Helm:

https://soundcloud.com/ontrackp/ontrackp-elusive-magic

15 instances of Helm in Logic Pro X. Logic EQ's, Reverbs, Compressors, Delays, Multipressor and Limiter on Master Bus. I used a couple of presets but most of the sounds are from scratch.

Fortunately I did not suffer any crashes (Logic Pro X) but I did run into some inconsistencies:

- delay - if I added delay in the patch it sounded great the first time I played the track back, after that it would do a weird artifacting that rendered it useless. I ended up turning it off and using track delays if I needed.

- freezing tracks -- a couple of tracks would not freeze properly. Just got a lot of noise. Fortunately enough other tracks were able to freeze without problems so the sequence could play back without the popping and clicking due to random cpu spikes.

I could not find a pan parameter to modulate -- I don't know if I just missed it or if it's not there. If it's not there it would be a great addition to future versions.

Helm is an interesting synth with lots of potential, I especially like how the modulations work. Thanks to Matt Tytel for making the synth and and putting it out into the world for free, and of course, to BJ for holding this whole thing together!

Last.... I cannot find the OSC soundcloud group to upload my song? Did something change?

Thanks, and enjoy.

ontrackp wrote: Last.... I cannot find the OSC soundcloud group to upload my song? Did something change?
Soundcloud has discontinued groups. Putting your track here is all that's needed - so you're done, so to speak!

dB

wooot! :o ...that's weird!

Bummer with the Soundcloud groups.

I have a question guys: There's a part in my song that resembles a very famous Pixies song (i have other parts too in there). It was unintentional as the chords just came very natural while i was playing around. So for me it's more like a reference than a cover song. Will i get in trouble with the rules?

Cheers
Failure is success in progress.

My entry:

https://soundcloud.com/jazzaria/synthvention-1

Reaper, 3 instances of Helm, ReaComp/ReaEQ/ReaXcomp for FX.

doctorbob wrote:
ontrackp wrote: Last.... I cannot find the OSC soundcloud group to upload my song? Did something change?
Soundcloud has discontinued groups. Putting your track here is all that's needed - so you're done, so to speak!

dB
That's good to know, but I liked the group. Thanks DB.

Ok Here's my song entry for this month's OSC. We have the obligatory 4 bar intro, 3 verses with key changes. The "horn section" hopefully provides the uplifting feel to the track and pushes the dynamics for you.

Watch out for my drummer who goes a bit mad on his new set of toms! :hihi:

DAW: Reaper 5.23

Track data
30 * Helm
25 * ReaEQ
6 * Classic Compressor
5 * TAL reverb II
3 * Twin Delay
1 * Classic Master Limiter

Master track
TDR VOS SlickEQ
FreeicTDS
Limiter No. 6

DR: 7

Enjoy
https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... sc-90-helm
Photo of scorched Soyuz craft by DoctorBob

eraze the borders wrote:Bummer with the Soundcloud groups.

I have a question guys: There's a part in my song that resembles a very famous Pixies song (i have other parts too in there). It was unintentional as the chords just came very natural while i was playing around. So for me it's more like a reference than a cover song. Will i get in trouble with the rules?

Cheers
Not if the song is "Dig for Fire", which is awesome and thus should be copied by everyone at least once :hihi:

Hi all,
here my track:

https://soundcloud.com/ballacr75/osc090 ... 5-not_sure

Daw: Renoise 3.1 (Eq, Delay, Reverb), TDR Feedback Comp
Plugins: 9x Helm vsti (automation of some parameters)
Duration: 4'53" (100bpm, 4/4, 20%, D-)

Good luck all!

https://soundcloud.com/peter-macmurchy/ ... nge-format

psmacmur - Lounge Format (Helm)
My entry for KVR One Synth Challenge #90: Helm

This month was touch&go. I must've thrown in the towel at least thrice for various reasons, including Helm's tendency to load up with corrupt patches. Luckily, the patches are usually repairable or inexplicably fix themselves. Well, except for the time I had to start from one version back. Ah well.

Made in Studio One 3.2.3 x64

23 Helm instances

DAW FX:
ProEQ x17
Compressor x4
Limiter x3
Spectrum Meter x1
Multi Instrument x1
Tricomp x2
Multiband Dynamics x2
VU Meter x1

Free FX:
A1StereoControl-x64 x1
Freeverb3 Hibiki x1
LeXtac x1
MJUC Jr x1
Nova64 x1
Pancake x2
Roughrider x1
Saturation Knob x3
Sanford Reverb x1
TAL Reverb-4 x1
Voxengo Stereo Touch x4
Voxengo Tube Amp x2

DR8

psmacmur wrote: This month was touch&go. I must've thrown in the towel at least thrice for various reasons, including Helm's tendency to load up with corrupt patches. Luckily, the patches are usually repairable or inexplicably fix themselves. Well, except for the time I had to start from one version back. Ah well.
DR8
Nice track Peter. I feel your pain though. Weird stuff with patch loading - also seemed to take a long time as well - not a good thing to do on the fly I found. I often found myself back at the "init" sound for no good reason. I gave the formant filter a pass this time even though I would have *loved* my melody lines "sung", but just not quite enough control for my purposes.

That's said though, in the end I was pleased with the sounds I coaxed out of the beast, just took a lot more effort this time round along with the crashing frustrations.

Good luck.

dB

doctorbob wrote: That's said though, in the end I was pleased with the sounds I coaxed out of the beast, just took a lot more effort this time round along with the crashing frustrations.

dB
Yeah those lovely classic synth and acoustic sounds you got out of it must've taken quite some patience! I just went for the low-hanging fruit and it was wormy. :P

Soho, no groups anymore, hm?! Ah well... I think, I will call my song done, since it's really hard to keep working with it as processing becomes impossible anymore, really. This one would have had the potential to become easily twice as long, which would've made it my longest track, yet, but whatchagonnado. :shrug:

https://soundcloud.com/taronium/taron-helmetical

Helmetical
Helm instances: 21
DAW:MuLab
DAW FX: 3x PingPongDelay, 5x 2BandEQ, 4x 4BandEQ, 4x delay cross, 2x tight room, 1 Vintage Echo 2
3rd party FX: 8x GFM_psypan, 4x space 360, 3x LoudMax64, Nove 67-p, 2xAmbience64, 2 Sanford Reverb

Maybe, if something rides me right, I might update it one more time before the deadline, but for now...I hope, you'll enjoy. 8)

Return to “Instruments”