Tone2 will release Icarus - 3D WaveTable Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elevation for Icarus Icarus3

recursive one wrote:No one remembers how it all began but now everybody hates each other. This proves again that Tone2 are evil.
+666

exmatproton wrote:
recursive one wrote:No one remembers how it all began but now everybody hates each other. This proves again that Tone2 are evil.
+666
So which synth sounds as agressive as KVR members?
Is it even possible? :evil:

Cinebient wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
+666
Wiggle?? :clown:

exmatproton wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
+666
Wiggle?? :clown:
:) Wiggle is a good candidate.

exmatproton wrote:
EnGee wrote:
chk071 wrote:The question wasn't which synth is better, or which is the winner, it was whether they're similarly aggressive, or not. :P Dune 2 or Icarus are not very aggressive synths, so much i can say. Dune 2 even less than Icarus. Regardless of "quality" or whatever. I prefer synths which are more on the aggressive side, but that is also regardless of quality, it's simple preference.
Yes and I already answered the 'question'! None of them is really aggressive as Reaktor. Even the Virus is not aggressive as Reaktor is! I believe one should choose the right tool for the specific task :P
I and chk071 were commenting on AnX's comments. He was saying it was possible to create similar sounds on Icarus from Monark. Which is bull.
Icarus cannot come close to Monark. Also, I think it is very clear today that to create synths that have the sort of coherence under duress that approaches analog synths, it requires a lot of cpu. Icarus sounds like a low cpu synth. Personally, I quite like it for what it is good at... but sounding like Monark, Bazille, Diva, it just cannot.

As there was so much talk about Monark and Icarus i just created samples of the Monark waveforms with a small amount of Overload.
As alraedy mentioned in my examples the closest Icarus filter to a Moog filter should be the "LP Butter 24dB" which seems to be based on the 24dB LPF in Saurus (that Icarus filter is resonant up to self-oscillation).

Here is a download for an Icarus wavetable with the 6 Monark waveforms (Triangle, Sharktooth, Sawtooth, Square, Medium Pulse, Narrow Pulse):
Monark_6 waveforms_1.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:Here is a download for an Icarus wavetable with the 6 Monark waveforms (Triangle, Sharktooth, Sawtooth, Square, Medium Pulse, Narrow Pulse)
We don't have to restrict ourselves to single Icarus waveforms per monark waveform.

analog character comes from the tiny variations between waveforms that are supposedly the same - we have 256 waveforms per wavetable in Icarus to emulate/recreate that character.

If we want to do as convincing a patch as possible, we can go as far as using 3 wavetables of up to 256 waveforms per monark (or moog hardware) waveform - so that if we want a 3 saw oscillator patch, we can have 768 different saw waveforms spread over the 3 wavetable oscillators.

And that's before we start using Icarus's modulation to create algorithmic variation.

It's not as good as Monark at that type of sound, but the LP butter 24db filter certainly gets it close.

I would be very surprised if people saying that Icarus can't do convincing analog have actually tried using the scope of what Icarus provides to do it.

OneOfManyPauls wrote:
I would be very surprised if people saying that Icarus can't do convincing analog have actually tried using the scope of what Icarus provides to do it.
Perhaps what you call convincing is not what someone else would call convincing.

To my ear, Icarus does not come even remotely close. It takes all of about 30 seconds to determine that.

If you want to sound like a MiniMoog, get Monark... the soon to be released RePro One is superb too.

30 seconds of what? using presets and the factory shipped wavetables?

OneOfManyPauls wrote:30 seconds of what? using presets and the factory shipped wavetables?
Saw + filter + resonance. It is as simple as that. The core components aren't 'that' capable. But it isn't target to do so, so it really doesn't matter. There is a lot of stuff possible with Icarus that isn't possible with other (very good sounding) synths.

One could probably get close after investing loads of time and editing the samples, etc. But i'd rather use it for what it's made for. And use other synths, like Diva and Monark, for the "real" subtractive/"analog" stuff.

OneOfManyPauls wrote:30 seconds of what? using presets and the factory shipped wavetables?
using my ears... duh...

exmatproton wrote:
Saw + filter + resonance. It is as simple as that. The core components aren't 'that' capable. But it isn't target to do so, so it really doesn't matter. There is a lot of stuff possible with Icarus that isn't possible with other (very good sounding) synths.

One could probably get close after investing loads of time and editing the samples, etc. But i'd rather use it for what it's made for. And use other synths, like Diva and Monark, for the "real" subtractive/"analog" stuff.
Even investing loads of time, and getting 'close' with one static sound... you would twist a knob and it would go to shit.

Try even just the free public alpha of RePro. It is one big sweet spot and you can tweak it freely while playing, like an actual analog monosynth.

Saying Icarus can come close to that is like saying one static sample (recording) of a synth sounds like the synth. The comparison becomes meaningless when you actually play the thing like an instrument.

so it's not really about the capability of Icarus at all.

it's about willingness/ability to use the tools at hand, and/or preference. that's cool.
Last edited by OneOfManyPauls on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdxindy wrote:Even investing loads of time, and getting 'close' with one static sound... you would twist a knob and it would go to shit.

Try even just the free public alpha of RePro. It is one big sweet spot and you can tweak it freely while playing, like an actual analog monosynth.

Saying Icarus can come close to that is like saying one static sample (recording) of a synth sounds like the synth. The comparison becomes meaningless when you actually play the thing like an instrument.
I don't think you understand this at all.

I'm not talking about sampling fully formed sounds out of the hardware synth.

I'm talking about using icarus the same way you'd use a hardware synth. Not sampling full sounds, but rather sampling the raw oscillator and using that as the source and processing it via the tools that Icarus provides.

I did this pretty much when I got Icarus, creating multi-waveform wavetables from my hardware synths raw oscillators and I was very surprised at just how good these sound going through Icarus's filters, especially the LP butter 24db.

and it's surprisingly quick to do this thanks to the included resynthesis tools - then they're available whenever they're needed.

OneOfManyPauls wrote:so it's not really about the capability of Icarus at all.

it's about willingness/ability to use the tools at hand and/or preference. that's cool.
It is about using the capability of Icarus for what it is good for instead of claiming it can sound like a MiniMoog... which is absurd

Return to “Instruments”