5%
there is no limit
37%
Fish someone?
5%

Total votes: 267

RELATED
PRODUCTS

MarlaPodolski wrote:I swear they are even starting to recycle those little synth melody motifs in EDM, so not only sounding all the same but lately all starting to sound like the same song. I suppose I shouldn't pick on EDM, since we know that stuff really isn't music or art, but I can't help it.
I don't think I know presets or characters of synths well enough to pick what soft synths are used in any given track.

I do not want to veer off but you dangled the bait. :)

Is a 3 chord rock song music with 8 note pentatonic blues scale solo, music or art ? Because I would say that in a good piece of dance music the overall skill level required is significantly greater.

To me there is good and bad music and it can be simple or complex, electronic or played live by musicians.

For myself my definition of music and art is free of genre constraints. As is what I enjoy and what bores me to tears.

MarlaPodolski wrote:I suppose I shouldn't pick on EDM, since we know that stuff really isn't music or art, but I can't help it.
Well, does that mean I shouldn't enjoy what I'm interested in anymore because someone on the internet deems it "not music or art"? I'm at a loss as to how you can judge a genre of music as not being music, and even art. Just about anything can be art, if it has the intention behind it. Sure, a lot of it sounds similar these days, but so does lots of autotuned pop music. Does that mean Michael Jackson was talentless and never made real music?

I'd be interested to hear what you think, because I'm genuinely curious as to what caused you to form these opinions, and what you think of as "real" music. :)
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

zenophilix wrote:
MarlaPodolski wrote:I suppose I shouldn't pick on EDM, since we know that stuff really isn't music or art, but I can't help it.
Well, does that mean I shouldn't enjoy what I'm interested in anymore because someone on the internet deems it "not music or art"? I'm at a loss as to how you can judge a genre of music as not being music, and even art. Just about anything can be art, if it has the intention behind it. Sure, a lot of it sounds similar these days, but so does lots of autotuned pop music. Does that mean Michael Jackson was talentless and never made real music?

I'd be interested to hear what you think, because I'm genuinely curious as to what caused you to form these opinions, and what you think of as "real" music. :)
I will go so far as saying it is music/art as much as anything a child does for their parents in kindergarten that they displayed on the refrigerator for far too long... and that eventually became their embarrassment.
But I don't think I can ever go so far as calling it a 'genre', no matter how much the affluent addled millennia believes it is. Because then writing 'all work and no play make Jack a dull boy' repeatedly for 500 pages is every much a novel.

EDM is an idiom at best, lost in it's own ambiguity of not yet finding its place in the larger art of music.

To respect the original topic : "Is dance music real music?" has been created here.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=469090

zenophilix wrote:
Well, does that mean I shouldn't enjoy what I'm interested in anymore because someone on the internet deems it "not music or art"?
I'm afraid so. I think BBFG's comment is pretty on the spot. Time to clean off your frigerator door?

MarlaPodolski wrote:
zenophilix wrote:
Well, does that mean I shouldn't enjoy what I'm interested in anymore because someone on the internet deems it "not music or art"?
I'm afraid so. I think BBFG's comment is pretty on the spot. Time to clean off your frigerator door?
Hahaha. Are you kidding me? I'll listen to whatever music I enjoy.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

exmatproton wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Back then synths were often just an add-on, an adornment in addition to the main instruments. That's very different today, especially with the genres KVR is associated with. Still, even today I don't think music made using many different synths is any better.

I use only a single synth and a rompler, that has to suffice. If I can't make anything good with that, getting more stuff won't change that because obviously I would simply lack talent.
No no no. Back then there were so many artists who loved to collect synths as well. It wasn't only "an add-on". Maybe in some cases, yes. I am not saying you're wrong, but there is this other side and there will be always people who thrive on options. Autechre, aphex twin, squarepusher, are good examples. Huge amounts of hard- and software.

I don't think in case of an (e.g.) EDM track, one needs 50+ synths, but in certain genres 1 synth just won't do the trick. And not because of the options in that synth, but because the aforementioned artists (for example) search and explore. As i do btw. I can use 2 synths for weeks, but all of the sudden use 12 different synths in 1 track. I love to have options. And with making music (weird music, i must add) for over 20 years, i like to have options i can explore when i want.
Squarepusher says he pretty much used only 1 synth on his last album, a Yamaha TX81Z.

zenophilix wrote: what caused you to form these opinions
Its usually a mix of pride and ignorance.
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote:
zenophilix wrote: what caused you to form these opinions
Its usually a mix of pride and ignorance.
And douchebaggery. :P

Thats like the worst kind of baggery.
ImageImageImageImage

It has always been very trendy to peddle the line "you only need <insert small number> synths, so it's better to learn the ones you have" (maybe not on here where GAS thrives through).

I will unashamedly admit to buying any new (plugin) synth that I like the demo for, because I realised something a while back - new synths often have vastly differing workflows, which leads to similarly varying results for me. Also, from a purely commercial standpoint, the fresh, new-car smell of a new plugin invariably motivates me to create some new tracks using it - particularly when things have started to get stale. These 2-3 new tracks will usually pay for the synth, which means at no (net) outlay, I have pumped cash into an industry I feel passionately about.

On a less altruistic level, because this usually costs me upwards of $2k per year, I had to implement a fairly strict "only on sale" rule for most purchases (which is usually achieved by buying upon release during the discounted launch period), lest I imperil both my wallet and marriage.

And yes, you could drive a truck through some of the holes in my logic...but hey, no one claims GAS is in any way logical.

I'm using less and less than ever. From 4 to 8 most of the time and always the same bunch.
I think I will sell everything 50% off soon (100+ vst). :cry:
It's not just GAS but lack of understanding. So now I'm beginning to get it! :hihi:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Return to “Instruments”